EDBEngineError "Capability not supported" ... modlist.zip?

Hello.  I'm trying to find the cause of an EDBEngineError exception
with the Message "Capability not supported".  My application works
fine for a while, then this exception is raised on what should be a
straightforward post of two TQuerys, which both have RequestLive =
True:

  Database1.StartTransaction;
  QryBankcp.Post;
  QryAcct.Post;
  Database1.Commit;

A technical support rep told me that this exception is probably being
caused by some other application or process interfering with the BDE
(eg. Paradox, DBase, WISQL), but nothing like that is running while I
run the application.  Does anyone out there have any ideas on what
might be going on?

He also told me about a file called MODLIST.ZIP on the Borland ftp
site, which contains an application that displays a window showing all
the active DLLs.  This would help me make sure no other IDAPI DLLs are
running.  But I can't find this file at the ftp site.  Does anyone
know where I can obtain it?

Thanks in advance,
Jake.

Re:EDBEngineError "Capability not supported" ... modlist.zip?

In article <4dos1o$...@tlaltec.tezcat.com>

Jacob Galley <jgal...@tezcat.com> wrote:
> Hello.  I'm trying to find the cause of an EDBEngineError exception
> with the Message "Capability not supported".  My application works
> fine for a while, then this exception is raised on what should be a
> straightforward post of two TQuerys, which both have RequestLive =
> True:

>   Database1.StartTransaction;
>   QryBankcp.Post;
>   QryAcct.Post;
>   Database1.Commit;

> A technical support rep told me that this exception is probably being
> caused by some other application or process interfering with the BDE
> (eg. Paradox, DBase, WISQL), but nothing like that is running while I
> run the application.  Does anyone out there have any ideas on what
> might be going on?

> He also told me about a file called MODLIST.ZIP on the Borland ftp
> site, which contains an application that displays a window showing all
> the active DLLs.  This would help me make sure no other IDAPI DLLs are
> running.  But I can't find this file at the ftp site.  Does anyone
> know where I can obtain it?

I get this error in the situation where I have a master /detail query
situation and the detail query has no primary key only a foreign key to
reference the master table (BTW I am using Local Interbase).

I seems that if you wrap the edit-post in a transaction then Interbase has
trouble rolling back or committing when the detail table has no primary key.

If there is no transaction then the problem dosen't occur.

If you generate a primary key value for the detail record (can be anything)
and then try to do the transactioned update then the problem dosen't occur.

I hope this may shed some light on the problem.

Patrick Okeeffe

Other Threads