Porting Pascal to Mac/Unix

I currently write Win32 programs using Delphi (essentially Visual Object
Pascal).  I might later need to port these to Mac and Unix.  I know that
there is a Pascal compiler for Mac.  Has anyone used it, how close is it
do BP?  What about Unix?  Are there compilers, and how much $$$ will it
set me back?

Thanks,
Rascal
ras...@inlink.com

Re:Porting Pascal to Mac/Unix

In article <3221DB2F.3...@inlink.com>, Ben Burack <ras...@inlink.com> writes:
> I currently write Win32 programs using Delphi (essentially Visual Object
> Pascal).  I might later need to port these to Mac and Unix.  I know that
> there is a Pascal compiler for Mac.  Has anyone used it, how close is it

Think Pascal produces 68K code (which thus runs in emulation on PPC).

        $180 or so

MetroWerks CodeWarrior produces 68K and native PPC code.

        $399 for the full-bore version, noncommercial may be cheaper

These both support "object Pascal", but it is a different dialect
than Borland.  The features are comparable, but some massaging of
source (potentially automated) would be required.

> do BP?  What about Unix?  Are there compilers, and how much $$$ will it
> set me back?

Unix is a generic term for a class of operating systems which have
a common cultural ancestry (although not a common codebase ancestry).
I can probably name about 10 different operating systems called Unix,
and I am just an amateur.  Each Unix vendor will have a different story
to tell about their Pascal offerings.

Larry Kilgallen

Re:Porting Pascal to Mac/Unix

> What about Unix?  Are there compilers, and how much $$$ will it
> set me back?

Get GNU Pascal via anonymous ftp from kampi.hut.fi, directory
jtv/gnu-pascal.  More information about this is available at
http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~gnu-pascal.

    Peter
    <peter.gerwin...@uni-essen.de>

Other Threads