DDE Problem

I have a simple question about using DDE fucntion in Delphi to link to some
other application. Is there any way I could find out what DDE function does
the target application provided ( I means DDE topic and DDE Item). Because I
think some how the manual is wrong. I have followed EXACTLY what the manual
said, but when whenever I trid to use PokeData it always return false. (The
OpenLink return true, of couserse). So I really want to find out what kind of
DDEItem does my target application provided, isa there any utilities doing
this ?

Thnks in advance

--

----------------
 Mo Ko

Re:DDE Problem

In article <Dr2E18....@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>, mc...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca says...

>I have a simple question about using DDE fucntion in Delphi to link to some
>other application. Is there any way I could find out what DDE function does
>the target application provided ( I means DDE topic and DDE Item). Because I
>think some how the manual is wrong. I have followed EXACTLY what the manual
>said, but when whenever I trid to use PokeData it always return false. (The
>OpenLink return true, of couserse). So I really want to find out what kind of
>DDEItem does my target application provided, isa there any utilities doing
>this ?

I think that there is a *suggested* means of applications describing
their available DDE items, macros, etc., via the Service topic or
something, but I don't know if it is often actually done.  Obviously
the best source of info is the target application's documentation,
but if that is lacking, then what? AFAIK DDE clients do not register
anything automatically to the Windows DDE system except that it is
available to support DDE.

You should be aware that there are some *bugs* in the D1 Delphi server
code, or at least one (perhaps in the execute function?). I saw a post
recently on this, and checked my own code and found that I had also
found, fixed, and reported the same error. The VCL source is highly
recommended, if not mandatory, for dealing with Delphi DDE!

--
Ken Irving                ...eschew obfuscation
SysTech Control

Other Threads