Component for reading/writing FoxPro 3 (DBF) tables?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Delphi 6 component for making/writing/reading/editing
FoxPro 3 DBF files without BDE, ADO, DAO... Commercial, open source,
shareware... I don't care for as long as it does a good job and it comes
with source.

TYIA,

Milisav

Re:Component for reading/writing FoxPro 3 (DBF) tables?

> I'm looking for a Delphi 6 component for making/writing/reading/editing
> FoxPro 3 DBF files without BDE, ADO, DAO... Commercial, open source,
> shareware... I don't care for as long as it does a good job and it comes
> with source.

http://www.advantagedatabase.com.

Fast, supports SQL, and is well supported. Easy deployment. Uses DLLs, but
comes with full source for the interfaces.

--
Tim Sullivan
Unlimited Intelligence Limited

Re:Component for reading/writing FoxPro 3 (DBF) tables?

Hi Tim,

> > I'm looking for a Delphi 6 component for
> > making/writing/reading/editing FoxPro 3 DBF files without BDE, ADO,
> > DAO... Commercial, open source, shareware... I don't care for as
> > long as it does a good job and it comes with source.

> http://www.advantagedatabase.com.

> Fast, supports SQL, and is well supported. Easy deployment. Uses
> DLLs, but comes with full source for the interfaces.

sure, but I doubt Advantage can handle Visual FoxPro 3.0 files when
they uses any extension of that version.
(anyway, I would give Advantage a chance!)

regards,
Chris Ueberall;
--
posted with XanaNews 1.14.3.7

Re:Component for reading/writing FoxPro 3 (DBF) tables?

Only one way to work with Visual FoxPro database (new format) is to use ODBC
driver from Microsoft. You may work with ODBC via BDE, ADO or any
third-party engine.
Personally I prefer mODBC (http://www.perio.unlp.edu.ar/modbc) Free and work
very-very well.

--
With best regards, Mike Shkolnik
EMail: mshkol...@scalabium.com

"Milisav" <some...@microsoft.com> ???Y/???Y ????? ???Y??:

> Hi all,

> I'm looking for a Delphi 6 component for making/writing/reading/editing
> FoxPro 3 DBF files without BDE, ADO, DAO... Commercial, open source,
> shareware... I don't care for as long as it does a good job and it comes
> with source.

> TYIA,

> Milisav

Re:Component for reading/writing FoxPro 3 (DBF) tables?

Milisav,

If, and I repeat IF, you want to use all DBC features such as stored
procedures than your are stuck with Visual FoxPro itself.
What I did create an ISAPI DLL in VFP7 that uses the SOAP3 Toolkit  to
exposes WebServices.  On the Delphi [client] side, I hit the Web services.
This way I can also hit them via C# or anything else that supports
WebServices.

If you just want to access the FoxPro data locally then ADO works perfectly,
but I still find the above approach preferable as it makes the FoxPro data
essentially a poor man's SQL server.

Robert Baker

"Milisav" <some...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,

> I'm looking for a Delphi 6 component for making/writing/reading/editing
> FoxPro 3 DBF files

Take a look at Halcyon (www.grifsolu.com)
Pros are: compiles in the exe (no dlls) and has a kylix version.

Re:Component for reading/writing FoxPro 3 (DBF) tables?

Robert (and others),

The work I need to do with "this DBF component" is really trivial. I only
need to make a few DBF files for this terminal that runs Windows CE and it
reads configuration from these DBF files. I was told that these are actually
in FoxPro 3 format. I would like to use something like ODBF... no DLLs, no
drivers, compiles in exe... The problem with ODBF is that it's for dBase
(older versions).

I have never used FoxPro and I don't know anything about it. I'm supposed to
produce these DBFs and send them for testing over to the team that I'm
working with on this project. I've found one component that produces these
DBFs but have no way of telling if they are in the right format. It takes
forever to get response from this team that can evaluate them and I'm
running out of time. I was told that these files could be opened and viewed
in Access. I tried with Access 2000 and it could not read these files.

How can I tell that the DBFs are really FoxPro 3 without having FoxPro to
open them?

I know this is off topic. Forgive me...

Regards,

Milisav

Re:Component for reading/writing FoxPro 3 (DBF) tables?

Milisav,

| I was told that these files could be opened and viewed
| in Access. I tried with Access 2000 and it could not read these files.

I suspect that you could read them with Access via an ODBC connection

| How can I tell that the DBFs are really FoxPro 3 without having FoxPro to
open them?

If you have three extra files [a MyDatabase.DBC, .DCT AND A .DCX]  in
addition to all the normal MyTable1.DBF, MyTable2.DBF... MyTablen.DBF [with
possible .CDX AND .FTP's for each table] then you definitly have a "Visual
Foxpro [ver 3-8]" database.  If not then you have "free" tables with are
very similar to other brands of DBF's [the primary difference being the
indexes [the MyTable.~~x's] and the memo containers [the MyTable.~~~'s].

Just use ADO to access them in any case.

Robert Baker

Other Threads