Disk Image Routine for TP

Hello all, I am new to this group so forgive me if this has been explored
previously. I would like to code a DOS program to generate an image file of
a hard drive - something similar to Symantec's ghost. Any help with the
logic of how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. I need to work
on FAT(32) and NTFS volumes and since standard disks are now in the 30GB
range some sort of compression seems mandatory.

Thanks,

Randolph

Re:Disk Image Routine for TP

"oldman yahoo.com>" <arwar@<no> wrote in message

> Hello all, I am new to this group so forgive me if this has been explored
> previously. I would like to code a DOS program to generate an image file
of
> a hard drive - something similar to Symantec's ghost. Any help with the
> logic of how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. I need to work
> on FAT(32) and NTFS volumes and since standard disks are now in the 30GB
> range some sort of compression seems mandatory.

Is this to learn about DOS & low-level disc access, or do you want to back
up your data? If the latter, have you considered other alternatives, such as
using partimage (www.partimage.org) under Linux? (I have heard that this is
also available on the Knoppix CD if you can get a recent one of those.)

FP

Re:Disk Image Routine for TP

No - I have some routines that I wrote that allow me to boot to DOS with an
IP address/stack and map to a network share. I now need to be able to code a
routine that will generate an image of the c: drive (and copy it to the
share) and the reverse - format the c: drive and copy the image from the
share back to the c:. I need to do a limited distibution of the end result -
so third party solutions usually have copyright issues - unless they are
open source/ gpl etc.