InterBase on the Internet??

We want to be able to use our Win 95/98 Delphi 3 (soon to be 5) program on a
local stand alone PC, on a LAN, on a WAN, and over the internet (that is, as
far as the data is concerned).  My question is, would something like
InterBase do this?

I was also wondering what the cost of an InterBase installation would be.  I
believe that you get a copy of InterBase to use for development, which
handles my PC, but what about the customer?  Will they need to purchase a
Client and a Server version of InterBase?  What's involved in all of this.

Also, right now, we're working with Delphi 5 Professional.  Would there be
any additional benefits to me in upgrading to the Enterprise edition?  One
thing to keep in mine here is I don't have ANY experience in the "big boy's"
type applictions (multi-tir (spelling?) client/server type stuff).  All I've
ever done with Delphi is use the default Paradox BDE database engine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-= Jesse =-
http://www.msdlg.com
http://www.davinci-mims.com

Re:InterBase on the Internet??

The best place to go for answers about Interbase is the Interbase newsgroup.
Interbase would meet all three of your needs (stand alone, LAN/WAN,
Internet). For pricing you should contact Interbase sales. For stand alone
applications you will need a distribution license for the Local Interbase
Server. For LAN/WAN installations you will need server licenses for the
number of concurrent users. There is an Internet license for that
environment. There are quantity discounts available for all of these so you
really need to talk to sales to find out what the pricing will be in your
situation.

If you are writing this app for Interbase you will probably want to use the
IB Express components which come with the profession version. In that case I
do not see any advantage unless you also need Midas.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:InterBase on the Internet??

<<We want to be able to use our Win 95/98 Delphi 3 (soon to be 5) program on
local stand alone PC, on a LAN, on a WAN, and over the internet (that is, as
far as the data is concerned).  My question is, would something like
InterBase do this?

You can use any database with ASTA www.astatech.com

ASTA supports 10 different Delphi Database components on the server side
(bde,odbcexpress,dbisam,direct oracle access, ado, ibexpress,ibobjects etc)
and of course on the client side there are no dll's or setup of any kind.

--
Steve Garland sgarl...@astatech.com
Does your Database run on the Internet? It can!

Other Threads