The standard pictures (minimize, maximize, restore and close)

Is there anyone who knows if the standars pictures of the minimize,
maximize, resore and close button can be found in any of microsofts DLL
files and if so, how do i extract them and use them on my own buttons?? we
talking Windows95 or WindowsNT4.0 the buttons in the upper right corner in
every window

Thanks in advance
   Mikael Alfredsson

Re:The standard pictures (minimize, maximize, restore and close)

> Is there anyone who knows if the standars pictures of the minimize,
> maximize, resore and close button can be found in any of microsofts DLL
> files and if so, how do i extract them and use them on my own buttons?? we
> talking Windows95 or WindowsNT4.0 the buttons in the upper right corner in
> every window

I always thought that they were dynamically drawn and cached as bitmaps.
Considering how many possibilities for caption bar sizes there are, it
wouldn't be wise to have 50 different bitmaps for all the different sizes.
It's probably easy enough to figure out how to draw them yourself and make
your own bitmaps.

        Dave

reply to daveg AT unpronounceable.com
message reply-to is invalid

Mikael Alfredsson <Mikael.Alfreds...@ey.se> wrote:
>Is there anyone who knows if the standars pictures of the minimize,
>maximize, resore and close button can be found in any of microsofts DLL
>files and if so, how do i extract them and use them on my own buttons?? we
>talking Windows95 or WindowsNT4.0 the buttons in the upper right corner in
>every window

They are a standard font. I can't remember its name.

You posted to too many groups. This question has nothing to do with, for
instance, nt kernel mode.

--
Lucian Wischik, Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET. ljw1...@cam.ac.uk

Re:The standard pictures (minimize, maximize, restore and close)

Mikael Alfredsson <Mikael.Alfreds...@ey.se> wrote in article
<01bc4e1f$530f5e00$680b1...@GXI.ey.se>...

> Is there anyone who knows if the standars pictures of the minimize,
> maximize, resore and close button can be found in any of microsofts DLL
> files and if so, how do i extract them and use them on my own buttons??
we
> talking Windows95 or WindowsNT4.0 the buttons in the upper right corner
in
> every window

Believe it or not, it's actually a TrueType Font.  It's called Marlett.
All of those buttons are there, as well as checkboxes, radio buttons,
scroll bar glyphs, the resizing triangle, etc.  Many of those images are
actually composed of several characters from that font.

If you open up the standard Font dialog box (in Microsoft Word, for
example), you'll see Marlett as one of the font choices.  If you play
around with it long enough, you should be able to determine which
characters represent which images.

Steve Dwire  -  Pensacola Christian College (include std. disclaimers)
Work: <sdw...@pcci.edu>                        Home: <dwi...@gulf.net>
WWW:  <http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~dwires>

Re:The standard pictures (minimize, maximize, restore and close)

In article <01bc4e23$243e0f00$4a9a70cf@default>, "Dave J.G."
<k...@allspammers.com> writes

>I always thought that they were dynamically drawn and cached as bitmaps.

They are stored in, and extracted from, the video driver. If you look at
the driver with a resource editor you can see this for yourself. The
same is true of the standard cursors, etc.

Chris

Chris Marriott, SkyMap Software, U.K. e-mail: ch...@skymap.com
Creators of fine astronomy software for Windows.
For full details, visit our web site at http://www.skymap.com

On 21 Apr 1997 17:30:36 GMT, "Steve Dwire" <sdw...@pcci.edu> wrote:

>Believe it or not, it's actually a TrueType Font.  It's called Marlett.
>All of those buttons are there, as well as checkboxes, radio buttons,
>scroll bar glyphs, the resizing triangle, etc.  Many of those images are
>actually composed of several characters from that font.
>If you open up the standard Font dialog box (in Microsoft Word, for
>example), you'll see Marlett as one of the font choices.  If you play
>around with it long enough, you should be able to determine which
>characters represent which images.

0 - 9 are the min, max, close and various arrows. Lowercase a - y is
everything from checkmarks to left oriented resizing handles. Use
the CharMap to see their corresponding letter.

JE McTaggart

L.J. Wischik wrote:

> Mikael Alfredsson <Mikael.Alfreds...@ey.se> wrote:
> >Is there anyone who knows if the standars pictures of the minimize,
> >maximize, resore and close button can be found in any of microsofts DLL
> >files and if so, how do i extract them and use them on my own buttons?? we
> >talking Windows95 or WindowsNT4.0 the buttons in the upper right corner in
> >every window

> They are a standard font. I can't remember its name.

> You posted to too many groups. This question has nothing to do with, for
> instance, nt kernel mode.

> --
> Lucian Wischik, Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET. ljw1...@cam.ac.uk

It's the Marlett TrueType font.

--
B & E Software GmbH                   Tel: [49] (2103) 9657-47
Itterpark 5                           Fax: [49] (2103) 9657-96

Re:The standard pictures (minimize, maximize, restore and close)

Take a screen snapshot, use Paint or some such program to edit the
snapshot.
-Ketan

Mikael Alfredsson <Mikael.Alfreds...@ey.se> wrote in article
<01bc4e1f$530f5e00$680b1...@GXI.ey.se>...

> Is there anyone who knows if the standars pictures of the minimize,
> maximize, resore and close button can be found in any of microsofts DLL
> files and if so, how do i extract them and use them on my own buttons??
we
> talking Windows95 or WindowsNT4.0 the buttons in the upper right corner
in
> every window

> Thanks in advance
>    Mikael Alfredsson

Re:The standard pictures (minimize, maximize, restore and close)

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:14:28 +0100, Chris Marriott

<ch...@chrism.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>They are stored in, and extracted from, the video driver.

They used to be.

At any rate, you should use DrawFrameControl to draw them.

--
(My return address is intentionally invalid; delete ".---" to get my real address.
My responses are not to be considered official technical support or advice.)

Re:The standard pictures (minimize, maximize, restore and close)

In article <01bc4e1f$530f5e00$680b1...@GXI.ey.se>, "Mikael Alfredsson"

<Mikael.Alfreds...@ey.se> wrote:
>Is there anyone who knows if the standars pictures of the minimize,
>maximize, resore and close button can be found in any of microsofts DLL
>files and if so, how do i extract them and use them on my own buttons?? we
>talking Windows95 or WindowsNT4.0 the buttons in the upper right corner in
>every window

>Thanks in advance
>   Mikael Alfredsson

Check out DrawFrameControl:

The DrawFrameControl function draws a frame control of the specified type and
style.
BOOL DrawFrameControl(

    HDC hdc,    // handle to device context
    LPRECT lprc,        // pointer to bounding rectangle
    UINT uType, // frame-control type
    UINT uState // frame-control state
   );
Parameters
hdc
Identifies the device context of the window in which to draw the control.
lprc
Points to a RECT structure that contains the logical coordinates of the
bounding rectangle for frame control. uType
Specifies the type of frame control to draw. This parameter can be one of the
following values:

Value   Meaning

DFC_BUTTON      Standard button
DFC_CAPTION     Title bar
DCF_MENU        Menu
DFC_SCROLL      Scroll bar
uState
Specifies the initial state of the frame control. If uType is DFC_BUTTON,
uState can be one of the following values:

Value   Meaning

DFCS_BUTTON3STATE       Three-state button
DFCS_BUTTONCHECK        Check box
DFCS_BUTTONPUSH Push button
DFCS_BUTTONRADIO        Radio button
DFCS_BUTTONRADIOIMAGE   Image for radio button (nonsquare needs image)
DFCS_BUTTONRADIOMASK    Mask for radio button (nonsquare needs mask)
If uType is DFC_CAPTION, uState can be one of the following values:

Value   Meaning

DFCS_CAPTIONCLOSE       Close button
DFCS_CAPTIONHELP        Windows 95 only: Help button
DFCS_CAPTIONMAX Maximize button
DFCS_CAPTIONMIN Minimize button
DFCS_CAPTIONRESTORE     Restore button
If uType is DFC_MENU, uState can be one of the following values:

Value   Meaning

DFCS_MENUARROW  Submenu arrow
DFCS_MENUBULLET Bullet
DFCS_MENUCHECK  Check mark
If uType is DFC_SCROLL, uState can be one of the following values:

Value   Meaning

DFCS_SCROLLCOMBOBOX     Combo box scroll bar
DFCS_SCROLLDOWN Down arrow of scroll bar
DFCS_SCROLLLEFT Left arrow of scroll bar
DFCS_SCROLLRIGHT        Right arrow of scroll bar
DFCS_SCROLLSIZEGRIP     Size grip in bottom-right corner of window
DFCS_SCROLLUP   Up arrow of scroll bar
The following style can be used to adjust the bounding rectangle of the push
button:

Value   Meaning

DFCS_ADJUSTRECT Bounding rectangle is adjusted to exclude the surrounding edge
of the push button.
One or more of the following values can be used to set the state of the
control to be drawn:

Value   Meaning

DFCS_CHECKED    Button is checked.
DFCS_FLAT       Button has a flat border.
DFCS_INACTIVE   Button is inactive (grayed).
DFCS_MONO       Button has a monochrome border.
DFCS_PUSHED     Button is pushed.
Return Value
If the function succeeds, the return value is TRUE.
If the function fails, the return value is FALSE. To get extended error
information, call GetLastError.

Dave Connet

email address is intentionly wrong: Change the 'xxx' to 'com'.

Other Threads