Portable databases

Hi there,

I need to develop a database, which is supposed to run at least using Interbase, MS-SQL-Server, MS-Access.
Probably further DBMS will have to be supported, too. What I'm interested in, are any tips on the design
of a database, which will result in least problems, when porting it (I don't mean technical aspects by this, like
using BDE or ADO). Are there articles around, which discuss the portable design of databases?
I'm aware on the problems, which arise from using special data types, like auto-increasing fields, timestamp, or
stored procedures and triggers.

Best regards,

Gerald

Dipl.-Ing. Gerald Kemnade
IFB-Hannover
Stiftstra?e 12
D - 30159 Hannover
Tel.:++49(0)511 / 16789-22
Fax: ++49(0)511 / 16789-99
E-Mail: kemn...@ifb-hannover.de
Internet: www.ifb-hannover.de

Re:Portable databases

Gerald,

If I may make one suggestion, design the system to access data entirely through stored procedures. The stored
procedures will then become your api to each database and it's vendor specific issues. Oops, you did mention Access,
try looking at MSDE.

Dan