Backup & Restore Data Files

    I need a tool or the code to incorporate Backup and Restore
procedures in my desktop applications.  You all must be using something
to get this job done but I've found no samples, etc. that lead me to
it.  The routine(s) need to be able to:
    1.    Browse for a backup drive/directory
    2.    Create new directories, if needed
    3.    Employ data compression tools.  Some of my files have long
names.  Can PKZIP utilities be included in the delivered product,
legally ?  What about WinZip ?
    I am indebted to this newsgroup for the programming tips I've picked
up.  But, so far it has been all receive since I haven't found a
question yet that I could help with.  I'll get there.

Thank You,
Chuck Tate

Re:Backup & Restore Data Files

Hi Chuck,

Go to http://www.EC-Software.com

I've been using their TBackupFile freeware Delphi component for several
months now. It does everything you're looking for.

Delphi. It is a native Delphi VCL, no DLLs or runtime libraries are
required. The component was designed to add backup capabilities to any
application that works with local data.

Once on their home page, look on the right side and you will see "What's
New?" | Delphi Corner. Click on the "More..." link. Go down a ways and you
will find "TBackupFile 5.1 [D3,D4,D5]". The download link is "Download
backfile.zip (316 K)".

I wish I would have found this gem long ago.

Good luck,

Craig Hunt

<ct...@pop3.micron.net> wrote in message

>     I need a tool or the code to incorporate Backup and Restore
> procedures in my desktop applications.  You all must be using something
> to get this job done but I've found no samples, etc. that lead me to
> it.  The routine(s) need to be able to:
>     1.    Browse for a backup drive/directory
>     2.    Create new directories, if needed
>     3.    Employ data compression tools.  Some of my files have long
> names.  Can PKZIP utilities be included in the delivered product,
> legally ?  What about WinZip ?
>     I am indebted to this newsgroup for the programming tips I've picked
> up.  But, so far it has been all receive since I haven't found a
> question yet that I could help with.  I'll get there.

> Thank You,
> Chuck Tate

Re:Backup & Restore Data Files

There are a host of third party components that let you add zip file
capability to your programs. Abbrevia from TurboPower is one. I typed in
"Delphi zip components" on Google and got a bunch of hits, some of which are
freeware.

--
Bill

Other Threads