REQ: Opinions on Apollo replacement of BDE

Hi,

        I have thought about buying and using the
apollo rocket component as a replacement for the
BDE. I've read that it only adds 300k to your
programs size. Does anyone have an opinion on
whether it is good or bad? Is it 32bit?

StephenC.
avr...@cv.hp.com

Re:REQ: Opinions on Apollo replacement of BDE

Stephen Carpenter <Stephen_Carpen...@om.cv.hp.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>    I have thought about buying and using the
>apollo rocket component as a replacement for the
>BDE. I've read that it only adds 300k to your
>programs size. Does anyone have an opinion on
>whether it is good or bad? Is it 32bit?
>StephenC.
>avr...@cv.hp.com

Check out ssFiles. at http://www.simplesimon.com.  There is 16/32bit
and no DLLs. All native object pascal source is available.

Mike

Re:REQ: Opinions on Apollo replacement of BDE

Just bought the product. Using it on D2. So far so good. I'm from
Clipper. Syntax used very similiar to clipper for access the databases.
However;
I can't seem to use the master data relation property with Apollo. I
believe theres a workaround but too soon to tell for sure.
You'll lose the capability to auto increment field.
More difficult to check data for relationship errors.

Overall quite a good product.
Please note I had only 7 hrs of use of the product.

Re:REQ: Opinions on Apollo replacement of BDE

Stephen Carpenter <Stephen_Carpen...@om.cv.hp.com> wrote:
>Hi,

>    I have thought about buying and using the
>apollo rocket component as a replacement for the
>BDE. I've read that it only adds 300k to your
>programs size. Does anyone have an opinion on
>whether it is good or bad? Is it 32bit?

>StephenC.
>avr...@cv.hp.com

I just bought version 2.5 last week (32-bit). Overall, SuccessWare
produces a quality product. After a few little problems I have it
working perfectly, and am quite impressed with the speed.

They do need to provide some better Delphi specific examples however.
They use PChar types to get data into the database, and Strings to get
it back out. Seems to me that they could have done a little better job
on the DLL wrapper functions to use all Strings.

Also, better examples of using TStrings and Memo fields would be
helpfull, as well as some examples of using Delphi TDateTime variables
with dBase Date fields.

Tech support is free for 30 days, so if you get it, get with it :-).
After that it costs, or you can get pretty good support from their CI$
forum. Internet presence is pretty much non-existant which surprises
me a little.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Re:REQ: Opinions on Apollo replacement of BDE

Can it handle concurrent access over a network with record locking
etc.??

<Gerry Polani>gerry...@netvision.net.il

Stephen Carpenter wrote:

> Hi,

>         I have thought about buying and using the
> apollo rocket component as a replacement for the
> BDE. I've read that it only adds 300k to your
> programs size. Does anyone have an opinion on
> whether it is good or bad? Is it 32bit?

> StephenC.
> avr...@cv.hp.com

Go to SQL. Or Paradox/BDE.  Anything. Write on paper.

Chris

Re:REQ: Opinions on Apollo replacement of BDE

On Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:52:50 -0400, Chris{*word*106}erson

<cdick...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>Stephen Carpenter wrote:

>> Hi,

>>         I have thought about buying and using the
>> apollo rocket component as a replacement for the
>> BDE. I've read that it only adds 300k to your
>> programs size. Does anyone have an opinion on
>> whether it is good or bad? Is it 32bit?

>> StephenC.
>> avr...@cv.hp.com

>Go to SQL. Or Paradox/BDE.  Anything. Write on paper.

>Chris

I'm thinking of using Apollo having heard positive things about it.
Your cryptic comments suggest you're not so impressed - would you care
to amplify?  What is it you don't like exactly?

Thanks, Rob

email: RobDa...@wheel.demon.co
       Rob.Da...@unn.ac.uk
Web:   http://www.unn.ac.uk/~isu8

Rob Davis wrote:

> >Go to SQL. Or Paradox/BDE.  Anything. Write on paper.

> >Chris
> I'm thinking of using Apollo having heard positive things about it.
> Your cryptic comments suggest you're not so impressed - would you care
> to amplify?  What is it you don't like exactly?

> Thanks, Rob
> Well I use it and I think that it's pretty good - tho I haven't tried to get it

to work with record locking yet.

Problem: A four year old Clipper app that still has another two years in it(as
the bleeding users can't afford to buy 486's or better) and the same system in
Delphi+Apollo using the same files over Netware/Microsoft or any other type of
network!

All suggestions  and experiences greatful accepted

Tim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------The customer is always right but the user is always difficult.

Re:REQ: Opinions on Apollo replacement of BDE

I am disappointed that Apollo does not directly support dBase tables,
except in conjunction with the BDE.  Call me silly, but I'd only be
interested in a BDE replacement if it does just that.

I use dBase tables simply because one of my major projects shares the
tables with a DOS application and the non-profit company can't afford to
purchase Windows-compatible machines for all of its staff.

On the flip side, I've found during close evaluation that it is a good
product for someone who has not already invested megabucks in registering
shareware and commercial data-aware components which rely heavily on the
BDE.

I do plan to purchase Apollo for new projects.

On 27 Jul 1996 17:40:59 GMT, unif...@clark.net (Charles) wrote:

>I am disappointed that Apollo does not directly support dBase tables,
>except in conjunction with the BDE.  Call me silly, but I'd only be
>interested in a BDE replacement if it does just that.

You may need to take a look at the documentation again.  You get two
options for using Apollo.

Apollo can be used with or without the BDE.

Other Threads