QuickReport 2.0k not working in Windows 2000

Hi!

I am having problems with QuickReport 2.0k standard that was upgraded from
the standard Delphi 3.02 QuickReport 2.0g. The report preview was fine under
NT4, but when I try to run the app in Windows 2000, the preview generates an
access violation error after 3-4 pages, popping up an error something like
"Cannot create file...". Any solution or workaround? I know that Qusoft is
unresponsive to this kind of bug, as it is an old version, but I don't want
to spend money to buy v3.0, because it seems to have problems on its own in
Windows 2000 and LaserJet printers. I don't want to buy buggy software,
especially when I know the very same bugs exist (MS software is an
exception, since everybody has to suffer anyway :-) )

Francisco

Re:QuickReport 2.0k not working in Windows 2000

Francisco,
This is a known issue with QuSoft and is fixed in the later version of QR3.
The problem is in the size of the array that QuSoft used to store the path
to where temporary file are to be created.  The size of the array is way too
small for the default temporary file location in Windows 2000.  In Win95/98,
the default temporary file location is "C:\Windows\Temp".  In Windows 2000
the default temporary file location is "C:\Documents and
Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp".  As you can see the path is much
larger and is too long for QR2 and some early version of QR3 to handle.  The
Username part of the path will vary based on the username of the user logged
in at the time.

You have 3 choices to work around this problem.
1) upgrade to the latest version of QR. (3.06)
2) Edit the source code and increase the size of the array that stores the
path.
3) Set the Temp environment variable to a path that is shorter like C:\Temp.
Right-Click on the My Computer icon and choose Properties.  Click on the
Advanced tab and then click on the Environment Variables button.  In the
User Variables section, click New and enter TEMP for the Name and C:\Temp
for the Value.

--
Scott

"Francisco Leong" <frle...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi!

> I am having problems with QuickReport 2.0k standard that was upgraded from
> the standard Delphi 3.02 QuickReport 2.0g. The report preview was fine
under
> NT4, but when I try to run the app in Windows 2000, the preview generates
an
> access violation error after 3-4 pages, popping up an error something like
> "Cannot create file...". Any solution or workaround? I know that Qusoft is
> unresponsive to this kind of bug, as it is an old version, but I don't
want
> to spend money to buy v3.0, because it seems to have problems on its own
in
> Windows 2000 and LaserJet printers. I don't want to buy buggy software,
> especially when I know the very same bugs exist (MS software is an
> exception, since everybody has to suffer anyway :-) )

> Francisco

Re:QuickReport 2.0k not working in Windows 2000

Thanks, Scott! It worked. I don't have the source code, so I just didn't
know what was happening. It's surprising to still have designers with this
kind of avaricious mentality. Why saving a few bytes when they declare the
temporary file name variable, especially in the era of GHz and gigabytes?
There is no excuse to have this kind of bug because the Win32 API has
clearly defined the constant MAX_PATH for this purpose. Also, unlike C,
Pascal has dynamic strings that the QuSoft team can use. Why didn't they
employ either one of these techniques is a mystery to me...

Francisco

"Scott Slater" <seven...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Francisco,
> This is a known issue with QuSoft and is fixed in the later version of
QR3.
> The problem is in the size of the array that QuSoft used to store the path
> to where temporary file are to be created.  The size of the array is way
too
> small for the default temporary file location in Windows 2000.  In
Win95/98,
> the default temporary file location is "C:\Windows\Temp".  In Windows 2000
> the default temporary file location is "C:\Documents and
> Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp".  As you can see the path is much
> larger and is too long for QR2 and some early version of QR3 to handle.
The
> Username part of the path will vary based on the username of the user
logged
> in at the time.

> You have 3 choices to work around this problem.
> 1) upgrade to the latest version of QR. (3.06)
> 2) Edit the source code and increase the size of the array that stores the
> path.
> 3) Set the Temp environment variable to a path that is shorter like
C:\Temp.
> Right-Click on the My Computer icon and choose Properties.  Click on the
> Advanced tab and then click on the Environment Variables button.  In the
> User Variables section, click New and enter TEMP for the Name and C:\Temp
> for the Value.

Other Threads