Delphi 5 Pro and Windows 2000 Pro Problems

My system: Dell Dimension 8200, P4/1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD, 32MB NVIDIA
GeForce2 MX (with TV Out) video card

Delphi Professional Version 5.0 (Build 6.18) Update Pack 1 and Windows 2000
(Build 2195: Service Pack 2)
-----------------------
Delphi 5 Professional Setup:
Type of setup - Typical
Install Interbase Client - deselected
-----------------------
When I attempt to run a program (even an empty project) with the integrated
de{*word*81} selected, I get:
Access violation at address 040775FE in module 'bordbk50.dll'. Write of
address 3BE693C8.
-----------------------
Turning off integrated debugging in Delphi avoids the access violation, but
then of course there is no integrated debugging.
Other things still cause some errors - Ctrl (left arrow) will move to the
prior word, but Ctrl (right arrow) give me:
External exception C000001D
-----------------------
I have seen posting via Google about problems using the Delphi De{*word*81} with
NVIDIA cards. My system has a 32MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX (with TV Out) video
card. I have updated the driver to version 1.4.6.5, reduced resolution,
reduced and turned off hardware acceleration, and nothing changes.

I have removed the video card (and its drivers) and replaced it with an old
S3 Trio64 V2/DX but I get the same exact problems.
-----------------------
I have even unregistered and re-registered the BORDBK50.DLL file.  I have
installed Delphi several time as my regular profile (with admin rights) and
as Administrator.  The problems occur prior to adding any 3rd party
components and after.

Has anyone had problems similar to this? If, so (or not) any clues as to
just what I can do?

Alton Newman
Coprocess SA
1, rue Piachaud
1204 Geneva, Switzerland

---

Re:Delphi 5 Pro and Windows 2000 Pro Problems

I don't think your problem stems from the integrated debugging.  Considering the
symptoms you are having, I would highly recommend you wipe Delphi 5 completely
off of your machine and start over.  Here are the exact steps you should take:

1.  Go into your control panel and select Add/remove programs.

2.  Select Remove Delphi 5.  Completely uninstall it.

3.  Open up Windows Explorer.  Navigate to the directory where you chose to
install Delphi 5.  If the Delphi 5 directory is still there, delete it and all
sub directories.

4.  Click on Start and select Run.  Type in:
regedit

Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Select Software
Select Borland
Select Delphi

Now, if you see a 5.0 folder, select it and hit Delete.

5.  Close regedit and reboot your machine in safe mode.  Ensure the account you
are installing on has administrative rights, as this is necessary to install
Delphi.

6.  Once in safe mode, close all background process that are running on your
machine.  This also means stop any anti virus programs that are running.

7.  Place the Delphi 5 CD in your CD-ROM drive and install Delphi.  Before
installing the Delphi 5 Updates and any other third party component, start
Delphi and ensure it is working correctly.  Exit safe mode and reboot your
machine.

Let me know the results.

Regards,
Angel

--
Please visit our online support pages at
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/

 Angel Martinez (Borland Software Corporation)

 http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

"Angel Martinez (Borland)" <supporti...@borland.com> wrote in message

> I don't think your problem stems from the integrated debugging.
Considering the
> symptoms you are having, I would highly recommend you wipe Delphi 5
completely
> off of your machine and start over.  Here are the exact steps you should
take:

I had done exactly what you suggested so many times that I can almost do it
blindfolded!
No, really.  I have removed everything out of memory. No anti-virus, no
multimedia keyboard - if I could find it, it was gone. Everytime I cleaned
out the registry. I did it as Administrator. I removed the video driver.

When I installed Delphi from the CD (prior to the 25MB update), during
install I get a fail to auto-register on 3 OCXs - vcf132.ocx, vcfi32.ocx,
and vspell.ocx After installation, I get a runtime error 216 during bootup
and when I try to go into the control panel.  When I try to register them
manually, I get an unable to access memory error. Trying to run Delphi
(still prior to the update) I get an error on vcl50.bpl and it refuses to
run. Bdeadmin refuses to run - the 216 error.

I have been told that my only recourse may be to move to Delphi 6, but my
boss is not ready to do that yet.

---

Alton Newman wrote:
> I had done exactly what you suggested so many times that I can almost do it
> blindfolded!
> No, really.  I have removed everything out of memory. No anti-virus, no
> multimedia keyboard - if I could find it, it was gone. Everytime I cleaned
> out the registry. I did it as Administrator. I removed the video driver.

You even tried installing under safe mode?  If you really tried following the
exact steps I laid out and are still getting these results, then there is
something serious going on with your system and I'm at a loss for anything else
you might try, short of reinstalling your OS.  Good luck.

Regards,
Angel

--
Please visit our online support pages at
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/

 Angel Martinez (Borland Software Corporation)

 http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Re:Delphi 5 Pro and Windows 2000 Pro Problems

> You even tried installing under safe mode?  If you really tried following
the
> exact steps I laid out and are still getting these results, then there is
> something serious going on with your system and I'm at a loss for anything
else
> you might try, short of reinstalling your OS.  Good luck.

Yep, even under safe mode.  I downloaded Delphi 6 PE and had absolutely no
problems with installation or integrated debugging. Alas, my boss is not
ready for me to upgrade to D6 yet.

Re:Delphi 5 Pro and Windows 2000 Pro Problems

> You even tried installing under safe mode?  If you really tried following
the
> exact steps I laid out and are still getting these results, then there is
> something serious going on with your system and I'm at a loss for anything
else
> you might try, short of reinstalling your OS.  Good luck.

The first installation was on a Dell 8200, P4/1.6, 512MB system.  I have now
tried this on a different machine - P2/450, 128MB - and a fresh hard drive.
The only similarity is that they both are Dell, the internals are all
different. I installed W2000 Pro and its service pack. As Administrator I
installed D5 Pro and can reproduce all the errors that I get on the other
machine. You can see the steps I have taken and the errors I get earlier in
this thread and on an earlier thread I had posted a very detailed set. If
they are no longer available, let me know and I will repost them.

So now I have basically reinstalled my OS and get nothing.

Prior to applying the D5 25mb update, DBD and D5 refuse to run due to a
failure to find entry points in different DLLs. After the patch, D5 runs,
but with various problems, i.e. integrated debugging - which seems to be
another entry point.

Alton

Other Threads