Help needed for new user

Hi all,
Im a new programming student and I bought Turbo Pascal v7 and installed it
onto my home computer which has Windows 95.  Anyway when I run some of my
programs the screen goes weird with blue and yellow lines and I have to
re-boot every time.  Its really annoying because you dont know its going to
happen until you run the program and then have to spend another 5 minutes
waiting for the thing to restart.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening would be great.

Penny Carter
pen...@cobweb.com.au

Re:Help needed for new user

Penny Carter (pen...@cobweb.com.au) wrote:

: Hi all,
: Im a new programming student and I bought Turbo Pascal v7 and installed it
: onto my home computer which has Windows 95.  Anyway when I run some of my
: programs the screen goes weird with blue and yellow lines and I have to
: re-boot every time.  Its really annoying because you dont know its going to
: happen until you run the program and then have to spend another 5 minutes
: waiting for the thing to restart.
: Any suggestions as to why this is happening would be great.
: Penny Carter

       Are your writing graphics programs, or just text
plane programs.   Maybe you can add some troubleshooting
statements at places where you think the problem is,
like

Write('Is the problem here'); delay(300); Readln;

That way you will be able to tell just where the
problem starts.

If you are using any inline code, or color changes, or
using the  mem statement, you could be writing into
memory storage areas that control the colors and the
display.

If you find questionable source code, post some of
it here, somebody will be able to help.

Ken Fischer

---

Re:Help needed for new user

Penny Carter wrote in message <01bd5074$365042e0$b7e71acb@vnmvihid>...
>Hi all,
>Im a new programming student and I bought Turbo Pascal v7 and
installed it
>onto my home computer which has Windows 95.  Anyway when I run some
of my
>programs the screen goes weird with blue and yellow lines and I have
>re-boot every time.

Well, I don't know why that happens but I got something similar a
couple of times. If I went to full-screen mode (alt-Enter) and back
(alt-Enter again) the monitor righted itself. I don't know if this
will help in your case but if it does, it would be easier than
rebooting.

FP

Re:Help needed for new user

First off, a few suggestions, all from my experience using all windows
versions, and DOS...  Pros and Cons list.

PROS of TURBO.EXE
  It leaves ALL of XMS/EMS open for your programs, if necessary.
  Very fast to load up on slow CPUs

CONS of TURBO.EXE
  You usually get 300k worth of conventional memory to compile your
program.  I can clear that in an hours worth of programming with the
units I use.  >:/

PROS of TPX.EXE
  Has a few neat functions within the SEARCH menu that can come in handy
that TURBO doesn't have.

CONS of TPX.EXE
  I've not figured how to get around it through the compiler, but, if
you've got less than 16meg of memory, TPX will chew it all for it's
compiling. I've set DPMIs up, to breach the 16meg limit, but, I guess
the TPX compiler doesn't address anything higher than that.  (But..
I've not written a program that'll breach 2meg of memory YET!)  There is
this one method...  Find a resizable RAMDRIVE driver.  In a batch, set
it up to give ya say 4meg of mem for the ramdrive, start TPX, shell out,
resize the drive to zero, go back in, you've got 4meg of XMS/EMS to play
with.

There's more that each offers, but, I use TPX 95% of the time anyways,
and have no regrets...

Penny Carter wrote:

> Hi all,
> Im a new programming student and I bought Turbo Pascal v7 and installed it
> onto my home computer which has Windows 95.  Anyway when I run some of my
> programs the screen goes weird with blue and yellow lines and I have to
> re-boot every time.  Its really annoying because you dont know its going to
> happen until you run the program and then have to spend another 5 minutes
> waiting for the thing to restart.

> Any suggestions as to why this is happening would be great.

> Penny Carter
> pen...@cobweb.com.au

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download