How to build a simple client/server application ?

Hi :
     I'm just want to begining to do a client/server database.
Can you tell me how to do a simple one. And my network
enviroment is win98 to win98 . And I'm using Delphi3 and
Paradox table. Thank you.

Regards
Chung Ee

Re:How to build a simple client/server application ?

"Tan Chung Ee" <chun...@pl.jaring.my> wrote in message

> Hi :
>      I'm just want to begining to do a client/server database.
> Can you tell me how to do a simple one. And my network
> enviroment is win98 to win98 . And I'm using Delphi3 and
> Paradox table. Thank you.

First, Pdox is not c/s.  Check to see if your version has Interbase and read
up on that.
> Regards
> Chung Ee

Re:How to build a simple client/server application ?

I know Paradox is not good for doing c/s. But my standalone Accounting is
using
Paradox table. So I need to know how to convert to c/s. I know using the
interbase
is the best. But I have no choice. I must do it in Paradox.

Phil Oneacre <onea...@bellsouth.net> wrote in article <392bcbb3@dnews>...

> "Tan Chung Ee" <chun...@pl.jaring.my> wrote in message
> > Hi :
> >      I'm just want to begining to do a client/server database.
> > Can you tell me how to do a simple one. And my network
> > enviroment is win98 to win98 . And I'm using Delphi3 and
> > Paradox table. Thank you.

> First, Pdox is not c/s.  Check to see if your version has Interbase and
read
> up on that.

> > Regards
> > Chung Ee

Re:How to build a simple client/server application ?

Tan,

I think you misunderstood the responses you got... client/server is a
means of distributing a system where you have a client and a server.
When you write an application that works against a Paradox table,
there is no "server" that processes queries... the client performs all
of that in the case of Paradox, dBase, etc.  Running a Delphi client
that connects to a set of Paradox tables on another machine is not
client/server... it is still a direct filesystem connection with no
processing happening on the "server" other than file I/O.
Client/server systems utilizing a server-based RDBMS such as Oracle,
SQL Server 7, Informix, Interbase, etc accept SQL queries from an
application running on the client, process the result set, and pass it
back to the client.  None of this goes on when using Paradox tables.

The problem is that the question makes no sense... there is currently
no way to do c/s with Paradox except through ODBC with a web server.
Is your question really "How do I convert this system to a standalone
Windows application?"  ?

-Peter

>I know Paradox is not good for doing c/s. But my standalone Accounting is
>using
>Paradox table. So I need to know how to convert to c/s. I know using the
>interbase
>is the best. But I have no choice. I must do it in Paradox.

>Phil Oneacre <onea...@bellsouth.net> wrote in article <392bcbb3@dnews>...

>> "Tan Chung Ee" <chun...@pl.jaring.my> wrote in message
>> > Hi :
>> >      I'm just want to begining to do a client/server database.
>> > Can you tell me how to do a simple one. And my network
>> > enviroment is win98 to win98 . And I'm using Delphi3 and
>> > Paradox table. Thank you.

>> First, Pdox is not c/s.  Check to see if your version has Interbase and
>read
>> up on that.

>> > Regards
>> > Chung Ee

Re:How to build a simple client/server application ?

thank you .
Now I understand already.
So, my problem is like this. There are about 4 pc in a network system.
For example I put my Paradox Table in pc1, then another 3 pc is using
the same application. Their bde alias path is point to pc1. So my problem
is, when pc2 is using customer.db. What about pc3 and pc4. If the
customer.db is already in Insert mode or Edit mode, then if pc3 want to
insert a
record to customer.db also. How to maintain this type of problem? Because
when a paradox table is already open, other people cannot access anymore.
So the Locking problem, how do I solve it?

Peter Gens <pe...@gens.net> wrote in article
<a7qniss2ar1vuir33uqsuajn05jlr8c...@4ax.com>...

> Tan,

> I think you misunderstood the responses you got... client/server is a
> means of distributing a system where you have a client and a server.
> When you write an application that works against a Paradox table,
> there is no "server" that processes queries... the client performs all
> of that in the case of Paradox, dBase, etc.  Running a Delphi client
> that connects to a set of Paradox tables on another machine is not
> client/server... it is still a direct filesystem connection with no
> processing happening on the "server" other than file I/O.
> Client/server systems utilizing a server-based RDBMS such as Oracle,
> SQL Server 7, Informix, Interbase, etc accept SQL queries from an
> application running on the client, process the result set, and pass it
> back to the client.  None of this goes on when using Paradox tables.

> The problem is that the question makes no sense... there is currently
> no way to do c/s with Paradox except through ODBC with a web server.
> Is your question really "How do I convert this system to a standalone
> Windows application?"  ?

> -Peter

> >I know Paradox is not good for doing c/s. But my standalone Accounting
is
> >using
> >Paradox table. So I need to know how to convert to c/s. I know using the
> >interbase
> >is the best. But I have no choice. I must do it in Paradox.

> >Phil Oneacre <onea...@bellsouth.net> wrote in article
<392bcbb3@dnews>...

> >> "Tan Chung Ee" <chun...@pl.jaring.my> wrote in message

> >> First, Pdox is not c/s.  Check to see if your version has Interbase
and
> >read
> >> up on that.

Re:How to build a simple client/server application ?

Tan,

I recommend that you take a look at the following Borland TI, which
explains how your should set up your clients to properly share Paradox
data:

Pay special attention to their suggestion directory structure and
setting the Local Share setting to TRUE on all clients in the BDE
setup as well as the sharing of the Paradox NET file.

Performing these should get you on the right track.  If all of these
are set correctly as recommended in the above link, the BDE should
handle the locking issues for you.  There is a ton of info in this
newsgroup about the common problems you will run into, and I recommend
using www.deja.com to search those prior postings.

Good luck!

-Peter

thank you .
Now I understand already.
So, my problem is like this. There are about 4 pc in a network system.
For example I put my Paradox Table in pc1, then another 3 pc is using
the same application. Their bde alias path is point to pc1. So my
problem
is, when pc2 is using customer.db. What about pc3 and pc4. If the
customer.db is already in Insert mode or Edit mode, then if pc3 want
insert a
record to customer.db also. How to maintain this type of problem?
Because
when a paradox table is already open, other people cannot access
anymore.
So the Locking problem, how do I solve it?

Re:How to build a simple client/server application ?

What you want is create a networked version of your standalone system. You
have to install the files (tables) on a network drive (usually F: or G:) and
direct your alias to this location. There are some locking considerations
you have to take but normally the program that works locally work on a
network. Client/Server is a completly different approach of programming, and
not with paradox.

--
Ing. Eduardo Martnez Ocampo
Chief Of Information Systems

Re:How to build a simple client/server application ?

On 24 May 2000 04:31:22 -0800, "Tan Chung Ee" <chun...@pl.jaring.my>
wrote:

>     I'm just want to begining to do a client/server database.
>Can you tell me how to do a simple one. And my network
>enviroment is win98 to win98 . And I'm using Delphi3 and
>Paradox table.

If you really need to use Paradox tables, I think MIDAS is what you
need (in Delphi enterprise).

Jan

Re:How to build a simple client/server application ?

A client/server application is one that uses a database server such as
Interbase, SQL Server or Oracle. You cannot create a client/server
application using Paradox tables unless you plan to write your own database
server.  Do you just want to write a multi-user application that uses
Paradox tables or do you want to write a client/server application using
some other database such as Interbase?

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)