To use QR or not to use QR that's the question

Hello there,

I wrote various applications where the output of queries and tables
where printed in all kind of ways (with rotated text, serveral grouping
levels). Because my knowledge of QuickReport wasn't that great, I didn't
use it at first.
Now I am  working more often with QiuckReport  I  can't decide anymore
to write the printeroutput code myself (with more possibilities than I
can find in QR), or to use QuickReport.

My question is: is QuickReport an easy utility for beginning programmers
or does the proffessional Delphi programmer often use QuickReport as
well?

                                                        thanks, Chris

Re:To use QR or not to use QR that's the question

Dump QR and buy ReportBuilder from Digital Metaphors
(http://www.digital-metaphors.com)

Well worth the price and a whole lot better than QR.

HTH,
Brian Simmons
bsimm...@centrasoft.com
http://www.centrasoft.com

Chris stegeman <Chris.Stege...@Gironet.nl> wrote in message

> Hello there,

> I wrote various applications where the output of queries and tables
> where printed in all kind of ways (with rotated text, serveral grouping
> levels). Because my knowledge of QuickReport wasn't that great, I didn't
> use it at first.
> Now I am  working more often with QiuckReport  I  can't decide anymore
> to write the printeroutput code myself (with more possibilities than I
> can find in QR), or to use QuickReport.

> My question is: is QuickReport an easy utility for beginning programmers
> or does the proffessional Delphi programmer often use QuickReport as
> well?

>                                                         thanks, Chris

Re:To use QR or not to use QR that's the question

I found that QuickReport was OK for basic data types, however, it had too
many bugs when it came to printing of memo fields (strings > 255 characters)
i.e, dropped lines with printing of memo fields, EAccessViolations with memo
fields, etc.  QR was OK as long as memo fields were not involved.  As such,
I switched to ReportPrinterPro ver 2.0S from Nevrona Systems, and this has
been very reliable report writer for me.  Good luck.
Gene
Chris stegeman wrote in message <37826FEC.73B38...@Gironet.nl>...
>Hello there,

>I wrote various applications where the output of queries and tables
>where printed in all kind of ways (with rotated text, serveral grouping
>levels). Because my knowledge of QuickReport wasn't that great, I didn't
>use it at first.
>Now I am  working more often with QiuckReport  I  can't decide anymore
>to write the printeroutput code myself (with more possibilities than I
>can find in QR), or to use QuickReport.

>My question is: is QuickReport an easy utility for beginning programmers
>or does the proffessional Delphi programmer often use QuickReport as
>well?

>                                                        thanks, Chris

Re:To use QR or not to use QR that's the question

>Hello there,
>My question is: is QuickReport an easy utility for beginning programmers
>or does the proffessional Delphi programmer often use QuickReport as
>well?

I am also wondering about this. QR seems fine for a limited number of
reports, but if you want the user to define it's one reports or if you want
to deliver him new reports, this can not be done with QR (as it comes with
Delphi), because it is compiled into the app.
The actual definition of the report is quite WIERD (for me): if you want to
add eg. a summary band or another subdetail band, sometimes you just can NOT
get it in the right place. (If you use joined queries (with more tables in
the FROM-part:) you don't need that much subdetail-level but it is hard
work.
But QR is integrated in Delphi so you can almost do EVERYTHING: every record
and band can be manipulated with your own code (like concatenating multiple
fields/records together),
create reports automatically and write them to disk without user action...
Alternatives:
ReportBuilder http://www.digital-metaphors.com/
Crystal reports http://www.seagatesoftware.com/crystalreports/
Hope this helps,
CU
WS

Re:To use QR or not to use QR that's the question

> Alternatives:
> Crystal reports http://www.seagatesoftware.com/crystalreports/

Only if you are not using dBase files.  The current version of Crystal
Reports contains bugs in the dBase/xBase drivers that will make your
development extremely difficult and your support a nightmare.  You can only
use CR with dBase 7 files if you don't use Memo fields, and the xBase driver
that they provide will lose date if you have a master/detail relationship
with logically deleted records in the detail table.  They also can produce
incorrect report results if you have dashes in the report criteria.

Terry

Other Threads