Interbase 4.1 verses 6

Hello,

I have recently upgraded our InterBase Server from 4.1 to 6.1. Since I
already have the BDE installed on the clients in the office, is it necessary
to upgrade the clients to "client 6.1". Things seem to work okay without
upgrading the clients?

Rand

Re:Interbase 4.1 verses 6

Rand Monroe wrote:

> I have recently upgraded our InterBase Server from 4.1 to 6.1. Since I
> already have the BDE installed on the clients in the office, is it necessary
> to upgrade the clients to "client 6.1". Things seem to work okay without
> upgrading the clients?

        Yes.  I'm surprised this works as well as it does, but you're certainly
going to need the newer client to use things like the services API which
are new to V6.  The BDE doesn't use any of these things yet, but it may
in the future.

        HTH,

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz (TeamB)       Vertex Systems Corporation
Senior Developer           http://www.vertexsoftware.com

Re:Interbase 4.1 verses 6

Hello IB list

I am trying to use "ON DELETE SET DEFAULT" without success.

I have a table STAFF with column STAFFNAME.
I have a second table PROJECT with column LEADER.
In the definition of table PROJECT I have LEADER defined with a default of
'NONE'.
LEADER is marked as a foreign key referencing STAFF ("STAFFNAME") and has ON
UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE SET DEFAULT.

When STAFF ("STAFFNAME") is updated the name propagates correctely into
PROJECT ("LEADER").

When a STAFF ("STAFFNAME") is deleted which appears in a PROJECT ("LEADER")
column I get a "violation of FOREIGN KEY constraint..." error for PROJECT
("LEADER"). I thought the corresponding entry in PROJECT ("LEADER") would be
changed to 'NONE'.

Column LEADER has a default value defined as part of its column definition.
The problem is still there if the default value is defined at the domain
level.

I use Borland's IB 6.0.0.627 and Win 2000.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Russell Belding

Other Threads