Board index » delphi » workaround for working without the bde

workaround for working without the bde

Quote
Lucas Franzen wrote:
> Hi,

> I'm sick of  handling the bde-installation when distributing my apps.
> So
> I wanted to work without aliases and just setting the alias of the
> queries at  runtime. I can set the alias of my queries in the OnCreate

> event of the form and assign the Path (using the ExtractFilePath
> function). The query will work fine.
> To avoid adding a lot of code to all my forms I wanted to assign all
> my
> queries to a database-component on a datamodule and only change the
> Alias (ParamString[0]) of this component.
> This does not work!
> Any ideas???

> Lucas

> P.S.:
> I don't want to use the BDE because in Germany there's a program that
> almost every user tends to buy and this program, that is using the
> BDE,
> too, will de-install your BDE on installation! Any ideas, suggestions,

> experiences?

Have a look at
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/delphifiles.html
and get the BDE Configuration File API.
If your your application doesn't find your Alias it can rebuid it !!
Bye, Andrea
 

Re:workaround for working without the bde


In article <3468A2DE.91459...@zero.it>, g...@zero.it says...

Quote
> Lucas Franzen wrote:

> > Hi,

> > I'm sick of  handling the bde-installation when distributing my apps.
> > So
> > I wanted to work without aliases and just setting the alias of the
> > queries at  runtime. I can set the alias of my queries in the OnCreate

> > event of the form and assign the Path (using the ExtractFilePath
> > function). The query will work fine.
> > To avoid adding a lot of code to all my forms I wanted to assign all
> > my
> > queries to a database-component on a datamodule and only change the
> > Alias (ParamString[0]) of this component.
> > This does not work!
> > Any ideas???

> > Lucas

> > P.S.:
> > I don't want to use the BDE because in Germany there's a program that
> > almost every user tends to buy and this program, that is using the
> > BDE,
> > too, will de-install your BDE on installation! Any ideas, suggestions,

> > experiences?

> Have a look at
> http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/delphifiles.html
> and get the BDE Configuration File API.
> If your your application doesn't find your Alias it can rebuid it !!
> Bye, Andrea

I to have discovered that you cannot install a Database app on a clients
machine with the software supplied by delphi.  However I noticed that the
file you suggest has no help file.  Sorry that is the problem with
installshield as it is.  LITTLE DOCUMENTATION.  Bad documentation is a
borland trademark.  I am about to s{*word*99} 6 months of work because there is
no way to install the app on the clients machine without installing
delphi itself and compiling the app on the clients machine.  I would do
this but the client doesn't have enough HD space and they have an acer
aspire which have proprietary hard drives that cannot be upgraded nor can
a second drive be put in the machine.  In other words to install my app
my client must buy a new computer and I have to install delphi then my
app will have to be recompiled on their system;  this is ridiculous. I
imagine that borland has covered themselves legally, however I think I
will look into taking action against borland for deceptive advertising
delphi 2 was sold as a good DB app development software and designing it
such that a DB app can only be run on the machine that compiled it is
deceitful.

Re:workaround for working without the bde


Quote
Claude wrote:

> I to have discovered that you cannot install a Database app on a clients
> machine with the software supplied by delphi.  However I noticed that the
> file you suggest has no help file.  Sorry that is the problem with
> installshield as it is.  LITTLE DOCUMENTATION.  Bad documentation is a
> borland trademark.  I am about to s{*word*99} 6 months of work because there is
> no way to install the app on the clients machine without installing
> delphi itself and compiling the app on the clients machine.  

I can't image an App that need to have Delphi installed to install.  Why
don't you post your problems here and we'll see if we can help you.

Re:workaround for working without the bde


In article <351D4E01.1...@flash.net>, tj...@flash.net says...

Quote
> Claude wrote:

> > I to have discovered that you cannot install a Database app on a clients
> > machine with the software supplied by delphi.  However I noticed that the
> > file you suggest has no help file.  Sorry that is the problem with
> > installshield as it is.  LITTLE DOCUMENTATION.  Bad documentation is a
> > borland trademark.  I am about to s{*word*99} 6 months of work because there is
> > no way to install the app on the clients machine without installing
> > delphi itself and compiling the app on the clients machine.  

> I can't image an App that need to have Delphi installed to install.  Why
> don't you post your problems here and we'll see if we can help you.

First it lost all its indexes than someone here suggested that I needed
to install all files with same name as DB tables, so I did that.  Now
when I test the install, the program sees the tables in the dir that the
program was developed in and not the tables in the dir that the program
was installed in.  Furthermore while the app can import records fine when
run
in directory developed in I get a master record missing when I try and
import same data using installed a version. It looks like a delphi DB app
must be run in same directory it was developed and compiled in.  I would
have to install delphi on the users machine make a new alias in datbase
desktop and then change all table components to use the new alias and the
compile program.  As I said my user (who happens to be my boss) doesn't
have room for this.  Bottom line this project will probably be s{*word*99}ped
because of this and it will also cause the paradox program I have been
pitching to be s{*word*99}ped as well.  My boss will be paging me sometime
today and if I can't say that this program is ready and will be emailed
shortly then it is over for good.  6 months of mostly my personal time
and the time I am to be using on our website (there are changes I was
asked to do 4 months ago that have not been done) all wasted.  Sad thing
is that the program is ready, tested and would save my boss 20 - 30 hrs a
week.  She spends 40 hours over a 2-3 day period each week on this
project most of this time is waste and could be done much better through
automation and organization.  The DB I have developed solves all the
major problems she has mentions and adds capabilities she never would
have thought of yet will be very useful.  It is sad to see that she will
never see this program, will continue to waste a lot of time each week.
And, I will be totally discredited.

Re:workaround for working without the bde


I cannot imagine an app that would require that you install Delphi on the
client's machine.  Can you be more specific about the problems you
encountered?

--
Bill

(TeamB cannot answer questions received via email.)
(To contact me for any other reason remove nospam from my address)

Re:workaround for working without the bde


I had the same problem with a database app that I was working on in Delphi 3
with paradox tables.  What I did was create the directory that the
installation program would and put the tables there.  Then I created an alias
to point to that directory.  It worked on my machine, and better still, it
worked on a machine that doesn't have delphi on it.

Kelly
Roo Systems

Re:workaround for working without the bde


Quote
>I to have discovered that you cannot install a Database app on a clients
>machine with the software supplied by delphi.  However I noticed that the
>file you suggest has no help file.  Sorry that is the problem with
>installshield as it is.  LITTLE DOCUMENTATION.  Bad documentation is a
>borland trademark.  I am about to s{*word*99} 6 months of work because there is
>no way to install the app on the clients machine without installing
>delphi itself and compiling the app on the clients machine.

Have you looked at WISE to do your intall?  We use it all the time and have
no trouble distrubting a BDE enabled application.   It's not always perfect
on BDE installs, but 99 times out of 100 it works without any problems.

Terry Swiers
Millennium Software, LLC
http://www.1000years.com

Re:workaround for working without the bde


You can install the BDE with InstallShield, specify an alias that points to
the production app directory, and further set DATABASE NAME to the database
(example below for Access).

You definitely do not have to install Delphi to deploy an application.

With InstallShield:

Select general  Options
Select BDE
Press  Settings button
Select Full BDE Installation
Press Next
Press New and enter your alias name (Should be same you are using now)
Press Next
Press Next
In PATH enter the desired directory for your database
In optional parameters enter  (for Access database)
DATABASE NAME = directory \databasename.mdb

If you are using Paradox I think it will suffice with the directory entered
in the PATH field above.

Press Next
Press Finish

Be aware that if you run the installation on your development machine, your
alias will now point to the production directory, not your Development
directory, therefore you will need to change this in your BDE Admin to
continue development.

Hope this helps,

Quote
Claude wrote in message ...
>In article <3468A2DE.91459...@zero.it>, g...@zero.it says...
>> Lucas Franzen wrote:

>> > Hi,

>> > I'm sick of  handling the bde-installation when distributing my apps.
>> > So
>> > I wanted to work without aliases and just setting the alias of the
>> > queries at  runtime. I can set the alias of my queries in the OnCreate

>> > event of the form and assign the Path (using the ExtractFilePath
>> > function). The query will work fine.
>> > To avoid adding a lot of code to all my forms I wanted to assign all
>> > my
>> > queries to a database-component on a datamodule and only change the
>> > Alias (ParamString[0]) of this component.
>> > This does not work!
>> > Any ideas???

>> > Lucas

>> > P.S.:
>> > I don't want to use the BDE because in Germany there's a program that
>> > almost every user tends to buy and this program, that is using the
>> > BDE,
>> > too, will de-install your BDE on installation! Any ideas, suggestions,

>> > experiences?

>> Have a look at
>> http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/delphifiles.html
>> and get the BDE Configuration File API.
>> If your your application doesn't find your Alias it can rebuid it !!
>> Bye, Andrea

>I to have discovered that you cannot install a Database app on a clients
>machine with the software supplied by delphi.  However I noticed that the
>file you suggest has no help file.  Sorry that is the problem with
>installshield as it is.  LITTLE DOCUMENTATION.  Bad documentation is a
>borland trademark.  I am about to s{*word*99} 6 months of work because there is
>no way to install the app on the clients machine without installing
>delphi itself and compiling the app on the clients machine.  I would do
>this but the client doesn't have enough HD space and they have an acer
>aspire which have proprietary hard drives that cannot be upgraded nor can
>a second drive be put in the machine.  In other words to install my app
>my client must buy a new computer and I have to install delphi then my
>app will have to be recompiled on their system;  this is ridiculous. I
>imagine that borland has covered themselves legally, however I think I
>will look into taking action against borland for deceptive advertising
>delphi 2 was sold as a good DB app development software and designing it
>such that a DB app can only be run on the machine that compiled it is
>deceitful.

Re:workaround for working without the bde


Quote
>First it lost all its indexes than someone here suggested that I needed
>to install all files with same name as DB tables, so I did that.  Now
>when I test the install, the program sees the tables in the dir that the
>program was developed in and not the tables in the dir that the program
>was installed in.

If you install the tables in a directory different from where you
developed it you need to remember to update the Alias you used to the
new Path or if you used a dataBase component set the path correctly.
There are many people on these news groups that deploy delphi
applications that work in directories other than where they will be
developed.  You are much to quick to blame delphi for your own errors

Quote
> Furthermore while the app can import records fine when
>run
>in directory developed in I get a master record missing when I try and
>import same data using installed a version. It looks like a delphi DB app
>must be run in same directory it was developed and compiled in.

"Master record is missing" indicates you have a referential integrity
link set up and you do not have a record in the referential master
table coresponding to the detail record you are trying to add

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:workaround for working without the bde


Claude skrev i meddelelsen ...

Quote
>In article <3468A2DE.91459...@zero.it>, g...@zero.it says...
>> Lucas Franzen wrote:

>> > Hi,

>> > I'm sick of  handling the bde-installation when distributing my apps.
>> > So
>> > I wanted to work without aliases and just setting the alias of the
>> > queries at  runtime. I can set the alias of my queries in the OnCreate

>> > event of the form and assign the Path (using the ExtractFilePath
>> > function). The query will work fine.
>> > To avoid adding a lot of code to all my forms I wanted to assign all
>> > my
>> > queries to a database-component on a datamodule and only change the
>> > Alias (ParamString[0]) of this component.
>> > This does not work!
>> > Any ideas???

>> > Lucas

>> > P.S.:
>> > I don't want to use the BDE because in Germany there's a program that
>> > almost every user tends to buy and this program, that is using the
>> > BDE,
>> > too, will de-install your BDE on installation! Any ideas, suggestions,

I am using an partial install set in Installshield for my software, and it
is working every time even if installshield clains it can't mergege the cnf
files. and I am working with a lot of datadirectorys in my software because
I keep each year seperated.

I have some global variables used here: Basicdatadir is containing the path
to the maindatadirectory, and datadir is the actual directory for the
dabase.

the trick goes so :

code on :

 Procedure Tmain1.Writeconfig;
 var config : Boolean;
 begin
   config := RegInifile.ReadBool('Apimo Biavl\Bidata
Win95\2.0\Init','Config_',False);
   If not config then
   begin
       with Session do
      begin
        ConfigMode := cmALL;
        try
        deleteAlias('BIDATA');
        deleteAlias('DEFAULT1');
        deleteAlias('PRIV');
        deleteAlias('BILLED');
        deleteAlias('INDEX1');
        deleteAlias('POLLENDAT');
        deleteAlias('DATA');
        deleteAlias('PREVIUS');
        except
        end;
        try
         AddStandardAlias('BIDATA',BasicDatadir+ datadir, 'PARADOX');

AddStandardAlias('DEFAULT1',BasicDatadir+datadir+'\Default','PARADOX');
         AddStandardAlias('PRIV',MainDataDir,'PARADOX');
         AddStandardAlias('BILLED',BasicDatadir+'\Grafik','PARADOX');

AddStandardAlias('INDEX1',Basicdatadir+datadir+'\Default','PARADOX');
         AddStandardAlias('POLLENDAT',BasicDatadir+'\Pollen','PARADOX');
         AddStandardAlias('DATA',BasicDatadir+'\Default','PARADOX');

AddStandardAlias('PREVIUS',BasicDatadir+'\'+Datadir2+'\Default','PARADOX');
         SaveConfigFile;
         DropConnections;
        finally
          ConfigMode := cmAll;
        end;
        RegInifile.WriteBool('Apimo Biavl\Bidata
Win95\2.0\Init','config_',True);
      end;
   end;
   Statusbar1.simpletext := 'Connected database : '+
copy(datadir,2,length(datadir));
 end;

code off!

the trick is to use the session created when the software starts, and then
manipulate this.

By the way! I have never had the need to compile a software on a customer
computer. Be a little more polite please, and take a look on your own erros
before you blame Borland.

regards
Jorn Johanesson Beekeeper since 1970
EDBi = Beekeeping software since 1986
homepages http://wn.com.au/apimo
                      http://home4.inet.tele.dk/apimo
e-mail             ap...@post4.tele.dk

Other Threads