D2, MS SQL 6.5, App Locks up on Update

I have an application that is in D2 C/S using SQL-Links to the MS SQL
6.5.  If I run the application on my network, the update works just
fine, however, if I run it on the customers network, the program locks
up.  Both machines have Win95, both are using the same exact program,
both are hooked to an NT 3.51 server/network (Will have to check on
which service pack they are on).  Both are using MS SQL 6.5.  There
are very litle differences in the enviornments and those I am trying
to isolate and/or remove.

Normally I would say its the customers machine, but if I RAS in and
access their server, the program locks up on my system.  However, if I
access the same data on my server, the transaction goes through.

Watching SQL Trace and SQL Performance monitor, nothing gets sent to
the server.  If it was a problem with the application, you would think
that it would lock up on my server as well.

I doubt that it is a configuration issue with the BDE (unless its
based on the way the network is setup) because I use the same alias
for both servers, I just manually change the name of the server prior
to using it.

This is extreamly frustrating, so any ideas or information would be
highly appreciated.

Brien King
bk...@primenet.com

Re:D2, MS SQL 6.5, App Locks up on Update

Brien King wrote:

> I have an application that is in D2 C/S using SQL-Links to the MS SQL
> 6.5.  If I run the application on my network, the update works just
> fine, however, if I run it on the customers network, the program locks
> up.  Both machines have Win95, both are using the same exact program,
> both are hooked to an NT 3.51 server/network (Will have to check on
> which service pack they are on).  Both are using MS SQL 6.5.  There
> are very litle differences in the enviornments and those I am trying
> to isolate and/or remove.
> Brien King
> bk...@primenet.com

You problem is familiar. It looks like you are having a bad client
configuration. Make sure that you install the MS SQL server client
software on the client computers. You then have to install SQL links.
Run the Client configuration utility to select the appropriate
network library (one of TCP/IP, NETBEUI, or IPX/SPX) for your
clients network. Make sure that it works by using a tool like
ISQL to verify that you can connect to the server.

Hope this helps

Nick Liristis.

Re:D2, MS SQL 6.5, App Locks up on Update

Brien King <bk...@primenet.com> wrote in article
<3250e664.47047383@news>...

> I have an application that is in D2 C/S using SQL-Links
to the MS SQL
> 6.5.  If I run the application on my network, the update
works just
> fine, however, if I run it on the customers network, the
program locks
> up.  Both machines have Win95, both are using the same
exact program,
> both are hooked to an NT 3.51 server/network (Will have
to check on
> which service pack they are on).  Both are using MS SQL
6.5.  There
> are very litle differences in the enviornments and those
I am trying
> to isolate and/or remove.

> Normally I would say its the customers machine, but if I
RAS in and
> access their server, the program locks up on my system.
However, if I
> access the same data on my server, the transaction goes
through.

> Watching SQL Trace and SQL Performance monitor, nothing
gets sent to
> the server.  If it was a problem with the application,
you would think
> that it would lock up on my server as well.

> I doubt that it is a configuration issue with the BDE
(unless its
> based on the way the network is setup) because I use the
same alias
> for both servers, I just manually change the name of the
server prior
> to using it.

> This is extreamly frustrating, so any ideas or

information would be
> highly appreciated.

> Brien King
> bk...@primenet.com

Brien,

I've had exactly the same problem and in effect it made me
dump SQL Links and go ODBC.
Works flawlessly (I use ODBC drivers from SQL Server 6.5
Service Pack 1), and is way faster.
However if you happen to solve this problem, I would be
interested to hear.

Peter

On 1 Oct 1996 02:33:05 -0700, bk...@primenet.com (Brien King) wrote:

>I have an application that is in D2 C/S using SQL-Links to the MS SQL
>6.5.  If I run the application on my network, the update works just
>fine, however, if I run it on the customers network, the program locks
>up.  Both machines have Win95, both are using the same exact program,
>both are hooked to an NT 3.51 server/network (Will have to check on
>which service pack they are on).  Both are using MS SQL 6.5.  There
>are very litle differences in the enviornments and those I am trying
>to isolate and/or remove.

I wouold check the service packs for NT (up to 5 now) and SQL 6.5 (up
to 1 now).    Also, double check your bde settings (there are a lot of
server specific stuff).  Finally, there are also a lot of settings in
SQL 6.5 for tweaking the settings.  You might want to double check
that those are the same for both systems.

                                        James

Re:D2, MS SQL 6.5, App Locks up on Update

Hi Brien!

You wrote:
> I have an application that is in D2 C/S using SQL-Links to the MS SQL
> 6.5.  If I run the application on my network, the update works just
> fine, however, if I run it on the customers network, the program locks
> up.  Both machines have Win95, both are using the same exact program,
> both are hooked to an NT 3.51 server/network (Will have to check on
> which service pack they are on).  Both are using MS SQL 6.5.  There
> are very litle differences in the enviornments and those I am trying
> to isolate and/or remove.

Do you know that SQL Server 6.5 has some serious bugs in its TCP/IP listener???  These were became
so apparent and were so serious (they crashed the server service...) that we decided to hold off
moving to 6.5 and still use 6.0.  Microsoft acknowlegde that the bug is there and are busy (if not
already) preparing a service pack.

> I doubt that it is a configuration issue with the BDE (unless its
> based on the way the network is setup) because I use the same alias
> for both servers, I just manually change the name of the server prior
> to using it.

I personally think that the problems could possibly lie with the BDE.  Many other folk
(particularly those who are using our software) have had many similar complaints, the bulk of
which relate to Delphi->SQL Links->ODBC->whatever.

If you're interested, you could always give the BDE a total skip and go ODBCExpress, a native VCL
which replaces the BDE and offers solid problem-free access to Access.  The 16bit version is
freeware, while the 32bit is shareware.  Performance is excellent and the software compiles
directly into your app - no messy dlls to distribute. AND, it was designed and developed on SQL
Server!

If you're interested, check it out at http://www.adam.co.za

Regards,

Rob
--
Rob McGillivray
Manager: Client/server Software Development

Re:D2, MS SQL 6.5, App Locks up on Update

Rob McGillivray <R...@iafrica.com> wrote in article
<3258088B.2...@iafrica.com>...

> Hi Brien!

> Do you know that SQL Server 6.5 has some serious bugs in its TCP/IP

listener???  > These were became
> so apparent and were so serious (they crashed the server service...) that
we decided to
> hold off
> moving to 6.5 and still use 6.0.  Microsoft acknowlegde that the bug is
there and are
> busy (if not  already) preparing a service pack.

FYI: the SQL Server 6.5 service pack 1 has already been released. I
downloaded it on 9 Sept  from the MS site, but couldn't find it there
later. Then I got it with MSDN (level3) update.
The list of fixes and workarounds is too big to quote it here...

Peter

Re:D2, MS SQL 6.5, App Locks up on Update

Hi Peter,

You wrote:
> FYI: the SQL Server 6.5 service pack 1 has already been released. I
> downloaded it on 9 Sept  from the MS site, but couldn't find it there
> later. Then I got it with MSDN (level3) update.
> The list of fixes and workarounds is too big to quote it here...

So much for us being a Solution Provider and all! <g>
Hopefully I'll find it on one of the CDs in the MS September box of
tricks.

Thanks for the feedback...

Regards,

Rob
--
Rob McGillivray
Manager: Client/server Software Development
DataSoft - "Voted Top Development House in South Africa - 1994"

Other Threads