Interbase LIKE keyword and blob fields

I have a problem with the LIKE keyword when an Interbase table containd a
BLOB field.
If the APPCODES table contains a BLOB field, then the following query
results in a error message ("Operation not applicable"). If I re-create the
same table without a BLOB field then the very same query works. Furthermore
this query always works under ISQL. It seems that it is the BDE doesn't
handle  the query properly, although it doesn't fetch the BLOB field at all.
The mere fact that the table contains a BLOB field seems to be an obstacle.

/* LAST_NAME is VARCHAR(30) */
/* INFO is BLOB SUB_TYPE TEXT */

SELECT DISTINCT LAST_NAME
FROM :IDH:APPCODES
WHERE  LAST_NAME  LIKE 'A%'

/* This query only works under BDE when  there is no  BLOB field in the
table, although it is not part of the query   */
/*  This query always works under ISQL  */

Can someone help?
Daniel Horowitz
IDH Diamonds
Antwerp