Unexpected Behaviour with DCOM Server (Local vs Remote Invocation)

Hello All,

I have developed an out-of-process automation server and a client that uses
it.  The combination works fine on my development machine but when I install
the automation server on another computer I experience problems with it.
Any time I try to reference any elements on the remote server from the
development workstation I get a "Bad Variable Type" error.

Furthermore, if I try running the client on the same remote machine where
the automation server is located, I get an "Interface Not Supported"
message.  If I try connecting to the development machine's automation server
from the remote machine, I get "Class Not Registered",

I apologize if this has already been answered and is in a searchable archive
somewhere.  I can't believe I am the first to encounter this type of
behaviour.

I'm new to D/COM and don't really know how to get started.  All advice
greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Robby Tanner B.Sc. EE., B.Sc. Cmpt.Sc.
Wardrop Engineering, Inc.
105-2103 Airport Dr.
Saskatoon, SK
Canada
S7L 6W2

Phone: (306) 244-4712
Fax:     (306) 244-4754

Re:Unexpected Behaviour with DCOM Server (Local vs Remote Invocation)

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:47:03 -0600, "Robby Tanner" <tan...@wardrop.com> wrote:
>I'm new to D/COM and don't really know how to get started.  All advice
>greatly appreciated.

Hi.  DCOM can be very fickle depending on what windows platform
it's on.  For instance, NT will start an out of process server on the
remote machine while win98 will not.  Win95 may not work at all
unless you install a DCOM update package.  On NT and 2000
you may have security issues requiring you to call CoInitializeSecurity()
etc..

Mike

--

"Only choice is an oxymoron."

--

"Robby Tanner" <tan...@wardrop.com> wrote in message

> Hello All,

> I have developed an out-of-process automation server and a client that
uses
> it.  The combination works fine on my development machine but when I
install
> the automation server on another computer I experience problems with it.
> Any time I try to reference any elements on the remote server from the
> development workstation I get a "Bad Variable Type" error.

If the server is NT SP3, upgrade to SP4 or above.

> Furthermore, if I try running the client on the same remote machine where
> the automation server is located, I get an "Interface Not Supported"
> message.  If I try connecting to the development machine's automation
server
> from the remote machine, I get "Class Not Registered",

Is the COM server properly registered on the remote machine?

--
have fun
Binh Ly

Other Threads