BDE errors: strange behaviour?

Hallo,

Env.: Delphi 6 Ent. UP2, BDE 5.2, Paradox

An over year grown application is based on the BDE and mainly Paradox
database tables (even also Oracle). Now the datamodel is extremly extended,
e.g. the number of tables is very increased. And now I've a very strange
behaviour:

Sometimes, not always, when a form should opened I get BDE error messages
like "not enough memory for this operation" or "error in opening the table
xy". When this form should opened, many operations with many tables (nearly
100) are done (open the tables, reading field values, making calculations,
analyzing etc.). I've done code writing and reading very intensive, so I'll
say at this time that no bad mistakes are in this code. Why do I get such
different error messages? Has BDE limitations on opened tables? Is it time
to change the database engine? (I know that BDE is not longer supported)

How I've told, before (with small data model) all works and now (with large
data model) I get such strange behaviour.

Regards
Stephan

Re:BDE errors: strange behaviour?

Stephan Schneider wrote:
> Sometimes, not always, when a form should opened I get BDE error messages
> like "not enough memory for this operation" or "error in opening the table
> xy".

if that sort of stuff really *is* random, then it's most likely the network
and/or the hardware causing the errors.. network "burp".. bad cards or cables..
etc..

if there really is a pattern to this, and you just haven't determined the
pattern yet, then the pattern will explain the errors.. is there a pattern as
to users, data values, context in the app, context in the business flow?

in the meantime, you have to explore both possibilities..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm