Delphi 1.02 via ODBC to Oracle7

Can anyone help me with a problem connecting Delphi 1.0 to Oracle 7 via ODBC?

The environment I am working on at a client's site is Windows 3.1, with SQLNet/TCP/IP access to Oracle7.

I believe I have set up the ODBC Data Source in the Windows Desktop/ODBC correctly, as well as the Alias in the BDE Configuration.

When I try to execute a connection, via the Database Desktop before I launch into Delphi proper, I get the database login screen OK, but when it tries to connect, I get the error message '...ORA-12203: TNS: Unable to connect to destination'

What I am confused about is the 'connect string', which I specify in the Windows/Desktop/ODBC Data Source, and which agrees with that in the TNSNAMES.ORA file, but which does not seem to be specified anywhere within the BDE Configuration specs.  I am not sure about the relationship between the BDE configuration and the Windows ODBC setup - if any, and whether this has anything to do with my problem.

It appears that the process is getting through the ODBC stage, but is faltering at the TNSNAMES.ORA stage, judging from the error message.

(The guy next to me can get through a similar process to the database in question using MS ACCESS and the ODBC path.  I would hate to let him think ACCESS is better than Delphi!)

Am I on the right track, or is the problem something else?

Any advice or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in anticipation.

Regards

James Duff.