paradox calling delphi

I have an application in Paradox, which actually calls an executable in
Delphi 3 to run a graph which paradox can't handle.  It works ok, but I'd
like to do 2 things to slick it up:
1.  pass the exe an argument which would be the contents of 1 field which
Paradox knows about when it calls the exe.  Then I could set a filter
instead of having to query out the data separately for Delphi to use.  I
guess if I can do this I wouldn't need to run an exe but could compile as a
dll.
2.  find out what the user's private paradox directory is, so I could use
temporary tables for the exe's graph data

I'm a pretty good paradox developer but pretty much of a delphi rookie--I'm
using delphi 3, the tee-chart component, and infopower to handle the data
connections.  Thanks.

Re:paradox calling delphi

In article <6b255n$...@camel19.mindspring.com>, peggy baker
<pba...@pipeline.com> writes

>I have an application in Paradox, which actually calls an executable in
>Delphi 3 to run a graph which paradox can't handle.  It works ok, but I'd
>like to do 2 things to slick it up:
>1.  pass the exe an argument which would be the contents of 1 field which
>Paradox knows about when it calls the exe.  Then I could set a filter
>instead of having to query out the data separately for Delphi to use.  I
>guess if I can do this I wouldn't need to run an exe but could compile as a
>dll.

Delphi exes can accept a parameter just like any Windows app, for
example you can type "c:\myproj\project1.exe myparam" in the Run
dialog to pass the string "myparam" to your application.

The application can use the ParamCount function and ParamStr array
to find out what (if any) parameters have been passed.

>2.  find out what the user's private paradox directory is, so I could use
>temporary tables for the exe's graph data

Not sure... but the following *might* work:

procedure ShowPrivDir(Sender : TObject);
var
  si : SesInfo;
begin
  DbiGetSesInfo(si);
  Showmessage(si.szPrivDir);
end;

HTH
--
Jeremy Collins

Re:paradox calling delphi

You don't specify which version of Paradox you are using.  Paradox 8
includes a Delphi Add-in Kit which allows you to write .dll's in Delphi and
use them in ObjectPAL.  You can pass parameters back and forth between the
Delphi .dll and Paradox.

peggy baker wrote in message <6b255n$...@camel19.mindspring.com>...
>I have an application in Paradox, which actually calls an executable in
>Delphi 3 to run a graph which paradox can't handle.  It works ok, but I'd
>like to do 2 things to slick it up:
>1.  pass the exe an argument which would be the contents of 1 field which
>Paradox knows about when it calls the exe.  Then I could set a filter
>instead of having to query out the data separately for Delphi to use.  I
>guess if I can do this I wouldn't need to run an exe but could compile as a
>dll.
>2.  find out what the user's private paradox directory is, so I could use
>temporary tables for the exe's graph data

>I'm a pretty good paradox developer but pretty much of a delphi rookie--I'm
>using delphi 3, the tee-chart component, and infopower to handle the data
>connections.  Thanks.

Other Threads