Want to migrate to windows 3.11

Hi guys,

        I own TP 6.0, wich I have not used for a long time. Now I want
to make a few programs under Windows 3.11, and I wonder what should I do
to program under Windows.

        I guess I will have to upgrade to another version, but what do
you recommand to me?

        The machine on wich I want to install pascal, is an old 386SX,
with 8 Meg of memory.

Thank you for your help,
dan...@videotron.ca

Re:Want to migrate to windows 3.11

Hi
I know that Delphi 1 will run on win3.1
If you know pascal then you will definatly be able to use Delphi1

GAry

Danny Perreault wrote in message <368cf6c3.5583...@news.videotron.ca>...
>Hi guys,

> I own TP 6.0, wich I have not used for a long time. Now I want
>to make a few programs under Windows 3.11, and I wonder what should I do
>to program under Windows.

> I guess I will have to upgrade to another version, but what do
>you recommand to me?

> The machine on wich I want to install pascal, is an old 386SX,
>with 8 Meg of memory.

>Thank you for your help,
>dan...@videotron.ca

Re:Want to migrate to windows 3.11

I use TP 6.0, which works fine in Windows.  (Not '95.)

However the process of writing code, compiling, finding the bugs, and
returning to code can be a hassle.

I reccommend Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows. I use it too, and it works fine.

Danny Perreault <danny.perrea...@videotron.ca> wrote in article
<368cf6c3.5583...@news.videotron.ca>...
        I own TP 6.0, wich I have not used for a long time. Now I want

> to make a few programs under Windows 3.11, and I wonder what should I do
> to program under Windows.

>    I guess I will have to upgrade to another version, but what do
> you recommand to me?

Re:Want to migrate to windows 3.11

>I know that Delphi 1 will run on win3.1
>If you know pascal then you will definatly be able to use Delphi1

And they still support it? I have visited the borland site, and I can
only find information about delphi4, wich seem to need a pentium and
win95.

Thanks for your help,

Re:Want to migrate to windows 3.11

>I use TP 6.0, which works fine in Windows.  (Not '95.)

>However the process of writing code, compiling, finding the bugs, and
>returning to code can be a hassle.

Like any other dos language environment.

>I reccommend Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows. I use it too, and it works fine.

This is what I was thinking to do also... Now I must check if I can
upgrade from DOS TP6 to WIN TP1.5 at a good price.

Thanks for your help,

Danny Perreault wrote:

> >I reccommend Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows. I use it too, and it
> > works fine.

> This is what I was thinking to do also... Now I must check if I can
> upgrade from DOS TP6 to WIN TP1.5 at a good price.

> Thanks for your help,

I really disagree. TPW 1.5 is not worth ANY effort nowadays.
You can do all with D1 too, and it has all necessary information
in the help files: Delphi help and WinAPI help. You do not
need a book for Delphi 1. Surely you will make 32-bit
applications soon, because the Win3.x is outperformed.
When buying Delphi 3 or 4 you later have the choice, but
there is no choice with TPW 1.5.

Another suggestion: Learn OOPs with TP 6 - TurboVision
in depth, it will be very helpful understanding the way
of Windows programming, the event handling etc.

Regards, Franz Glaser

Ing. Franz Glaser wrote:
> Danny Perreault wrote:

> > >I reccommend Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows. I use it too, and it
> > > works fine.

> > This is what I was thinking to do also... Now I must check if I can
> > upgrade from DOS TP6 to WIN TP1.5 at a good price.

> > Thanks for your help,

> I really disagree. TPW 1.5 is not worth ANY effort nowadays.
> You can do all with D1 too, and it has all necessary information
> in the help files: Delphi help and WinAPI help. You do not
> need a book for Delphi 1. Surely you will make 32-bit
> applications soon, because the Win3.x is outperformed.
> When buying Delphi 3 or 4 you later have the choice, but
> there is no choice with TPW 1.5.

Agreed. You won't like TPW 1.5, and it isn't a good pathway to more
modern programming environments. Try to get Delphi, or some other
language altogether. Because most people don't use 3.1 anymore, and
many don't use Win95 anymore, either.

In fact, the smart ones use Linux - but that's another topic.

Irv

Other Threads