help files

I would like to know how to create a help file to go with my application. I know
this is a bit general but I have no idea where to start. Any help will be
gratefully accepted.

Cheers

John

Re:help files

Hi John:

Go to http://tornado.be/~johnfg/ and download HelpScribble.

John Paul Morris CS94 wrote in message
<6a7610$o...@dunlop.cs.strath.ac.uk>...

>I would like to know how to create a help file to go with my application. I
know
>this is a bit general but I have no idea where to start. Any help will be
>gratefully accepted.

>Cheers

>John

Re:help files

John Paul Morris CS94 wrote:

> I would like to know how to create a help file to go with my application. I know
> this is a bit general but I have no idea where to start. Any help will be
> gratefully accepted.

> Cheers

> John

As an alternative to the usual .hlp files, which in my opinion are to difficult to
create,
I propose the following.

In my latest project I wrote all my help files in plain HTML code. Since everybody
has a browser on their computer they can use their favorite to view these help
files.

If you want context sensitive help just drop a THTML component on your forms and
program some events so that the correct helpscreen is displayed when a certain
button is clicked on.
You can easily create crosslinks between document, include (animated) images, ...
And these HTML help files are a heck of lot smaller in bytes too.

Yours sincerely.

- remove _GEEN_SPAM from the address -
       \|/       e-mail: pekari_GEEN_S...@glo.be
       O O       URL:    http://titan.glo.be/pekari/index.html
---oOO-(_)-OOo------------------------------------------------

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:help files

In article <34CF6F50.1EB63...@glo.be>, Marc De Belder <pekari_GEEN_S...@glo.be>
writes:

>As an alternative to the usual .hlp files, which in my opinion are to
>difficult to
>create,
>I propose the following.

>In my latest project I wrote all my help files in plain HTML code. Since
>everybody
>has a browser on their computer they can use their favorite to view these
>help
>files.

If you want files that will be really helpful and easy to use DON'T use HTML.

WinHelp has a lot of functions that make it better than HTMLHelp - like links
to panels (HTML does only pages), content files which can be configured for
expert or tyro, in-built word search and context search.

HTML is great for jazzy presentation but not for reference and educational
work.

Alan Lloyd
alangll...@aol.com

Re:help files

>In my latest project I wrote all my help files in plain HTML code. Since
>everybody
>has a browser on their computer they can use their favorite to view these help
>files.

>If you want context sensitive help just drop a THTML component on your forms and
>program some events so that the correct helpscreen is displayed when a certain
>button is clicked on.
>You can easily create crosslinks between document, include (animated) images,

This can be a good alternative, but there are disadvantages.

1. The average browser of today takes a heck of a lot longer to load
than WinHelp.

2. You don't have "keyword indexing" or FTS

3. You don't have pop-up windows, or "stay on top" windows.

4. What if the user happens to be using their browser for something
else and wants to get help on your program?

While I'm sure you're predicting the future of the WinHelp API by
going with HTML, bear in mind that when Visual C++ 5 was released
with HTML online help, almost all users considered this to be a backward
step from the WinHelp-type system used in VC++ 4 - and that was with
MS's programming & design muscle behind it.
--
Jeremy Collins

Re:help files

AlanGLLoyd schrieb in Nachricht
<19980128193900.OAA01...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

>In article <34CF6F50.1EB63...@glo.be>, Marc De Belder

<pekari_GEEN_S...@glo.be>

>writes:

>>As an alternative to the usual .hlp files, which in my opinion are
>>difficult to
>>create,
>>I propose the following.

>>In my latest project I wrote all my help files in plain HTML code.
Since
>>everybody
>>has a browser on their computer they can use their favorite to view
these
>>help
>>files.

>If you want files that will be really helpful and easy to use DON'T
use HTML.

>WinHelp has a lot of functions that make it better than HTMLHelp -
like links
>to panels (HTML does only pages), content files which can be
configured for
>expert or tyro, in-built word search and context search.

>HTML is great for jazzy presentation but not for reference and
educational
>work.

>Alan Lloyd
>alangll...@aol.com

In fact, Micro$oft is starting to promote the HTMLHelp system for
writing help.

I'm using M$ Outlook Express at the moment. It uses HTML help files,
not WinHelp. Also other M$ applications are starting to adopt HTML
help. So writing HTML might not be such a bad option after all. The
HTML help of M$ Outlook Express looks a lot like WinHelp, although it
has some different font handling (and I don't quite like the layout,
but that's my problem). It includes tabs like Contents, Index and Full
Text Search.

Also the M$DN (Developer Network) system seems to be based on some
kind of packed HTML files. It has all the functions and a lot more
than WinHelp (afaik). A friend of mine uses it. He had to replace the
installation by a new one after he had installed M$IE4.

Rudy Velthuis

Re:help files

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:33:59 +0100, "Rudy Velthuis" <rvelth...@cww.de>
wrote:

>In fact, Micro$oft is starting to promote the HTMLHelp system for
>writing help.
>I'm using M$ Outlook Express at the moment. It uses HTML help files,
>not WinHelp. Also other M$ applications are starting to adopt HTML
>help. So writing HTML might not be such a bad option after all. The
>HTML help of M$ Outlook Express looks a lot like WinHelp, although it
>has some different font handling (and I don't quite like the layout,
>but that's my problem). It includes tabs like Contents, Index and Full
>Text Search.
>Also the M$DN (Developer Network) system seems to be based on some
>kind of packed HTML files. It has all the functions and a lot more
>than WinHelp (afaik). A friend of mine uses it. He had to replace the
>installation by a new one after he had installed M$IE4.

There's a thorough article about writing HTML help files in Microsoft
Systems Journal.

http://www.microsoft.com/msj/

The article includes links to MSDN Online for even more tips and
information. You'll also find a HTML compiler there.
?
 jas

Re:help files

There are tools for creating help files that provides HLP to HTML
conversion. Look for a tool that converts HTML to HLP I'm trying to find one
my self. I'm convinced there are such tools to get.

For writing help files try dotHelp. Unfortunatly I got it from a magazine
and their CD. So i don't have the address where to by it or the prise but
it's really easy to learn. The full version converts HLP files to HTML
files.

Lars Rosenberg
Karlstad Sweden.

Other Threads