Application icons?

2005-07-26 02:14:44 PM
delphi74
Does anyone know of any reasonable quality freeware application icons?
By application icon I mean the icon _for_ the application (by default the
Delphi icon), NOT icons to go _in_ the application toolbars. So suggesting
products like the Glyphx stock icons etc does not address this need!
Also, there is currently no budget in this project for custom work to
custom-design the application icon (hopefully there will be soon), so that
also rules out that option.
So I am looking for something I can download and use, that looks good, does
not cost money or is cheap, and presents no legal issues (ie is freely
available for use).
Thanks in advance
Lauchlan M

Re:Application icons?

So I am looking for something I can download and use, that looks good,
does
not cost money or is cheap, and presents no legal issues (ie is freely
available for use).

Check out www.kde-look.org/index.php
There are lots of really good icons here, although check out the license
before using.
Craig.

Re:Application icons?

"Lauchlan M" <LMackinnonAT_NoSpam_ozemailDOTcomDOTau>writes
Does anyone know of any reasonable quality freeware application icons?
You might be able to find something here that would reduce to Icon size:
office.microsoft.com/clipart/default.aspx
Here's the legal stuff. IANAL, but I read it to say that you can use the
stuff however you want if you own a copy of MS office:
office.microsoft.com/en-us/tou.aspx

Re:Application icons?

By application icon I mean the icon _for_ the application (by default the
Delphi icon), NOT icons to go _in_ the application toolbars.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I am particularly looking for something that is designed to be used as an
application icon in the above sense, but these suggestions are good places
to start.
Lauchlan M

Re:Application icons?

Lauchlan M writes:
I am particularly looking for something that is designed to be used
as an application icon in the above sense, but these suggestions are
good places to start.
You might be interested in a program called AnyToIcon. Sorry, no link
handy.
It will convert many file formats (bmp, png, etc) to .ICO of different
sizes. I have tried a lot of these types of programs and it does a good
job. Easy to use as well. It is not freeware, but it allows you to
run the program 30 times and create as many icons as you want each time
it is run.
--
Kevin Powick

Re:Application icons?

I had Marc Keeley [XXXX@XXXXX.COM] create a few custom icons for me at a
very reasonable price.
--
Ed Dressel
"Lauchlan M" <LMackinnonAT_NoSpam_ozemailDOTcomDOTau>writes
Does anyone know of any reasonable quality freeware application icons?

By application icon I mean the icon _for_ the application (by default the
Delphi icon), NOT icons to go _in_ the application toolbars. So suggesting
products like the Glyphx stock icons etc does not address this need!

Also, there is currently no budget in this project for custom work to
custom-design the application icon (hopefully there will be soon), so that
also rules out that option.

So I am looking for something I can download and use, that looks good,
does
not cost money or is cheap, and presents no legal issues (ie is freely
available for use).

Thanks in advance

Lauchlan M

Re:Application icons?

FWIW, I have just used toolbar designs and an icon editor to construct nice
looking icons for apps.
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Application icons?

You might be interested in a program called AnyToIcon. Sorry, no link
handy.

It will convert many file formats (bmp, png, etc) to .ICO of different
sizes. I have tried a lot of these types of programs and it does a good
job. Easy to use as well. It is not freeware, but it allows you to
run the program 30 times and create as many icons as you want each time
it is run.
Thank you for the suggestion.
I have purchased Axialis IconWorkshop which also does this.
Lauchlan M

Re:Application icons?

Lauchlan M writes:
Does anyone know of any reasonable quality freeware application icons?

By application icon I mean the icon _for_ the application (by default the
Delphi icon), NOT icons to go _in_ the application toolbars. So suggesting
products like the Glyphx stock icons etc does not address this need!
It may have already occurred to you, but you can easily make an app icon
from our toolbar icons that you already have, using the small and large
editions. You can make an application friendly ICO using any icon editor.
Of course this will only work for you if you are not looking for
something 'abstract' :)
David Ridgway :: www.glyfx.com
Icons, animations & graphics for software developers

Re:Application icons?

It may have already occurred to you, but you can easily make an app icon
from our toolbar icons that you already have, using the small and large
editions. You can make an application friendly ICO using any icon editor.

Of course this will only work for you if you are not looking for
something 'abstract' :)

Thanks Dave,
replied by email.
Lauchlan Mackinnon