TIBDatabase caharacter set problem!

2006-02-10 04:23:40 PM
delphi224
Hello Friends!
A found a problem with national character sets in TIBDatabase component!
I run FireBird 1.5.3.4870 on Windows XP (SP2) machine!
I using Deplhi 7 with IBX 7.08.
To create my database (*.GDB) i using IBExpert...
I can create database with character set ISO8859_2 with collation order
ISO_HUN ! All OK!
I check, in RDB$CHARACTER_SETS contain ISO8859_2 in my database system
table!
I start to create a new application, put IBDatabase on a form, and need to
set up connection parameters (double click on component), but i have a
problem:
On "Character Set" drop-down list DO NOT SEE the ISO8859_2 !!! I see many
character sets, include ISO8859_1, but where is the ISO8859_2 ???
How can i using this character set with ISO_HUN ???
Please, any HELP!

Re:TIBDatabase caharacter set problem!

Bela Kardosi writes:
Hello Friends!

A found a problem with national character sets in TIBDatabase component!
I run FireBird 1.5.3.4870 on Windows XP (SP2) machine!
FireBird is not supported by IBX. Never has been and never will be.
--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build

Re:TIBDatabase caharacter set problem!

Clinton L. Warren writes:
Why is that?
Firebird is different from IBX and is not a Borland product. If you
want to use Firebird with Delphi use dbExpress and a third party
Firebird driver, IBO or FIBPlus.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) writes:
Bela Kardosi writes:

FireBird is not supported by IBX. Never has been and never will be.
Why is that?
Please forgive my ignorance.

Clinton L. Warren writes:
Jeff Overcash (TeamB) writes:
>Bela Kardosi writes:
>
>FireBird is not supported by IBX. Never has been and never will be.

Why is that?

Please forgive my ignorance.
Think about it and just have no sense.
The bad news is all in the hands of one man : Jeff Overcash. IBX must
be open source, like in the past.
--
Donald.

Donald Shimoda writes:
The bad news is all in the hands of one man : Jeff Overcash. IBX must
be open source, like in the past.
You are wrong. IBX was never open sourced. It was, however, based on
FIB, which was free, but not open source. This was all well before IB
itself was open sourced, BTW.
Several people have made their own components based on FIB. Whether or
not they bothered to ask Greg Deatz (author of FIB) for permission as
Borland did I don't know. Since Greg owns the copyright for FIB this
would be necessary. At least one person has illegally written a
component set based on IBX source code, but as the copyright notice on
the top of the files has always indicated, they are Borland property
just like the rest of the VCL and you can not redistribute them.
Borland newsgroup denizen Sergio González has a new CD of
Irish music out, and it is good: tinyurl.com/7hgfr

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
Donald Shimoda writes:

>The bad news is all in the hands of one man : Jeff Overcash. IBX
>must be open source, like in the past.

You are wrong. IBX was never open sourced. It was, however, based on
FIB, which was free, but not open source. This was all well before IB
itself was open sourced, BTW.
Agreed, anyway.
Several people have made their own components based on FIB. Whether
or not they bothered to ask Greg Deatz (author of FIB) for permission
as Borland did I don't know. Since Greg owns the copyright for FIB
this would be necessary. At least one person has illegally written a
component set based on IBX source code, but as the copyright notice on
the top of the files has always indicated, they are Borland property
just like the rest of the VCL and you can not redistribute them.
And who cares?
The question is, Jeff Overcash choice stop supporting FB.
Ask Greg Deatz what think about that... I guess was no the idea when he
create FIB.
--
Donald.

Re:TIBDatabase caharacter set problem!

Donald Shimoda writes:
And who cares?
Apparently you do, since you're the one asserting all this nonsense.
The point is that if you want a component set which supports a database
other than InterBase you should use a component set other than IBX.
Most people don't find this difficult to understand. A few choose to
get belligerent about it, but that is not a good way to put in a feature
request.
The question is, Jeff Overcash choice stop supporting FB.
No, that is also wrong. IBX never supported Firebird, ever, nor did its
predecessor at the time IBX was forked. Hence, Jeff did not "stop"
supporting it. IBX was only ever intended to support InterBase, and
that hasn't changed since it was created.
IBX is owned by Borland (not Jeff) and supports a Borland database
only. Again, this should not be hard to understand.
Ask Greg Deatz what think about that... I guess was no the idea when
he create FIB.
Wrong yet again. Firebird (nor IB Open Edition) did not exist when FIB
was created and also when it was last maintained by Greg. As far as I
can tell, Greg uses neither Firebird nor InterBase at present.
Are you you finished putting words in other people's mouths yet?
Want to help make Delphi and InterBase better? Use QC!
qc.borland.com -- Vote for important issues