Design Principles?

2003-08-18 09:39:49 PM
delphi208
Hi,
i want to prepare design principles for our Delphi software which show how
we create user interface. Buttons, align, anchors, Wizards, animations etc.
anyone know good document/website about design?
i try to search msdn but it is huge. I am lost in the links :P
Best Regards.

Re:Design Principles?

When designing I tend to look for other applications which have implemented
the same things that I am going to make, to get ideas. That way users have a
greater chance of recognizing the meaning with the GUI.
Then of course The Interface Hall of Shame and The Interface Hall of Fame
are always a good place to look.
digilander.libero.it/chiediloapippo/Engineering/iarchitect/index-1.htm
"John White" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

John White writes:
i want to prepare design principles for our Delphi software which
show how we create user interface. Buttons, align, anchors, Wizards,
animations etc.
There is a seldom-used newsgroup, borland.public.uidesign, which is
perfect for this question. If people asked their UI design questions
there instead of here, it might not be so seldom-used. :)
anyone know good document/website about design?
joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000057.html
annoyances.org/
i try to search msdn but it is huge. I am lost in the links :P
msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/welcome.asp
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Performance Monitor -- Analyze and control your IB7
server: delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor

Re:Design Principles?

"John White" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
anyone know good document/website about design?
i try to search msdn but it is huge. I am lost in the links :P
You just broke my ironymeter.

Re:Design Principles?

Alan S. writes:
You just broke my ironymeter.
It shouldn't have. There is more to good documentation that sheer volume.
I just mentioned to someone the other day that using MSDN was like
mining for a specific gold nugget in a mountain. You might (hopefully)
find lots of other nuggets along the way, but you typically have to dig
through half the mountain to find the one you're looking for.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
$1280/$50K: homepages.borland.com/jkaster/tnt/thanks.html

Re:Design Principles?

Thanks for all answers.
Alan S. sorry for your ironymeter <g>:)
"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, haber iletisinde sunlari
yazdi:3f41508b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
I just mentioned to someone the other day that using MSDN was like
mining for a specific gold nugget in a mountain. You might (hopefully)
find lots of other nuggets along the way, but you typically have to dig
through half the mountain to find the one you're looking for.
Sometimes reading MSDN i even forget primary goal of my search. Too much
interesting things. :-)

Re:Design Principles?

"John White" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

i want to prepare design principles for our Delphi software which show how
we create user interface. Buttons, align, anchors, Wizards, animations
etc.
anyone know good document/website about design?

i try to search msdn but it is huge. I am lost in the links :P

Best Regards.

One excellent book is: About Face 2.0: The Essentials of Interaction Design
by Alan Cooper and Robert Riemann. See:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764526413/qid=1061321587/sr=2-1/ref=
sr_2_1/104-5015364-1012714
For a website have a look at: www.sapdesignguild.org
Although it is for SAP users, it has a lot of interesting articles and
information - especially at
www.sapdesignguild.org/community/design/design.asp
Angus Miller