Re: Standard Operating Procedure (part 2)

2003-11-13 04:02:07 AM
delphi63
"When we released Macromedia Flash MX 2004 in September of this year, it
was an aggressive release. We really did push it hard. Consequently,
there were still some issues to resolve. And we definitely heard about
it from our community. Too many bugs. Too little documentation. And
not enough migration support.
So we took it to heart - and we fixed it. Here's what we did:
[detailed patch info follows]"
Personally, I would like to get Octane: Delphi 8 for .Net in December, and
get a cleanup version in late January / early February, which would then
hold me until the release of Nonagon: Delphi 9 for .Net Framework 2.0 in
July.
I expect there will be fixes for the worst problems with Octane within 2
months of its release, and after that the "patch" will be the next
version of Delphi.
With Microsoft revving the framework so rapidly, there's no point to
fixing everything in Octane, most especially things that are totally
changed in .Net Framework 2.0.
The only path Borland can take is to chase the new versions of the
framework including support for new technologies as Microsoft releases them.
Borland won't need Alessandro pleading in the dark to them and us to see
where we need to go next time around.
There are upsides and downsides to these trends; let's raise a glass to
how great the old days were (and they were) when software worked, things
were fixed, a promise was a promise, and a technology lasted 5-10 years
so you could get back your investment in learning it well.
And then throw the glasses into the fireplace and go about our business.
Cursing the darkness is not a profitable business - lighting candles is.

Re: Standard Operating Procedure (part 2)

Like with Delphi 7. I'd not expect anything from Borland until it
is actually in your hands.

--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software

Re: Standard Operating Procedure (part 2)

Personally, I would like to get Octane: Delphi 8 for .Net in December, and
get a cleanup version in late January / early February,
If Borland chooses to switch to .NEXT, it could easily happen that no Service Pack ever exists for D8.

Karlheinz Späth writes:
>Personally, I would like to get Octane: Delphi 8 for .Net in December, and
>get a cleanup version in late January / early February,

If Borland chooses to switch to .NEXT, it could easily happen that no Service Pack ever exists for D8.
Yeah, and it could easily happen that it starts raining gold coins
tomorrow, but I wouldn't bet on it...