Re: OpenSource vs. Commercial

2005-08-01 09:09:30 PM
delphi229
I have a Postgresql Admin tool that is way better than PG Admin III (the
open source admin tool that comes with Postgresql) I am only asking
29.99 for it and since January I have taken in like 60 dollars....
Since you are offering an add-on targetting a community of users using an
open source product which already has a solution, it is a very tough sell.
If you were targetting a commercial user base, you might be able to get more
traction even if there were free alternatives.
But, I am interested in checking out your tool. Do you have a link for your
product?
The point is that the commercial product must be much,much better and
offer all the same features plus more.
With packaged software, I agree, except that sometimes less features (i.e.
easier/simpler to use) is what makes it better. But for
libraries/components it is much different FMPOV since architecture, design,
etc. are more important factors than "does it work".

Re: OpenSource vs. Commercial

I've thoght about your remarks having millions of forked RTC Core versions
and you're probably right, that would happen if I left the license agreement
as I had it. And it wouldn't be good for the product. that is why I changed
the License Agreement to something very similar to the Commercial License
Agreement I had before. Guess, this doesn't make RTC Core Open Source
anymore, but at least Source Code is freely available for download.
www.realthinclient.com/download.htm
--
Danijel Tkalcec
RealThinClient Components

Re: OpenSource vs. Commercial

Hi Brian,
you can check it out at www.amsoftwaredesign.com
Tony
But, I am interested in checking out your tool. Do you have a link for your
product?

Re: OpenSource vs. Commercial

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:02:34 -0400, Steve Troxell
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Robert Marquardt writes:

>I would prefer the Open Source solution because i can then do the
>support myself if all else fails. It also allows to finetune the
>component precisely to my needs.

How is that different from a commercial, closed-source product with
source? Closed-source doesn't mean you can not get the source. I never buy
commercial components without source. I tweak commercial products all
the time. I do quite a bit of debugging for commercial vendors as well.
So I don't quite understand how what you say above is a benefit of open
source.

I see it as what is in the scope of the license. Some vendors have a
"per person" license where you would need 10 licenses for 10
developers on your team and other vendors might have a "per CPU" where
you need 10 licenses if you develop on 10 machines. That can
sometimes get expensive although that might be offset if you write it
off your taxes as a business expense (note I am lawyer). Some vendors
do offer site licensing meaning one corporate could use the component
in one corporate site. That might not cover any subcontractors that
have or potential customers who require source-code.
This stuff is usually not an issue for open source where commercial
uses are permitted. Some open source licenses permit you to use their
product in your program (BSD and MPL) while GNU typically requires you
make all of your code available. In any case, Open Source does have
advantages if you deal with independent subcontractor, you are an
independent subcontractor, or you need to provide source-code for a
customer.
II have seen some commercial products that are better than their open
source counterparts but I have also seen the reverse where Open Source
products are better than commercial products.
Another thing is that you can sometimes make modifications to
source-code and make it available publicly and someone else may see
something that you didn't (peer review) or might ad a feature that you
might benefit from.
No matter what type of a license has, you always have to be careful
about scope of licensing (that's a lot of this debate comes down to)
and that effects everything. Some people deliberately or accidentally
wind up exceeding of their licenses and that can cause problems down
the line.
--
J. Peter Mugaas - Indy Pit Crew
Internet Direct (Indy) Website - www.indyproject.org