Hel & Manual

2006-05-08 07:16:31 PM
delphi32
Hi
I was asked to write some documentation for a product as "cue cards".
I'm not sure what is intended by that term, or what products acheive it.
In any case, I mentioned I myself typically use H&M for documentation, and
my company is interested in finding out more - but perhaps for the next
project (but they do a fair number of of projects).
So, I am to provide a link and some blurb about H&M.
Two questions
1. What are "cue cards" for documentation and is H&M a good product to do
cue cards with (I am guessing not, I'd expect cue cards are more of a
hyperlink thing between seperate cards)
2. In putting forward the virtues of H&M, what virtues would you emphasise
other than 1. productivity and 2. portability of exporting to many help
formats (web, pdf, online, etc)? What kind of measures/statistics could be
offered to make the case for H&M?
Thanks!
Lauchlan M

Re:Hel & Manual

Lauchlan M writes:
In any case, I mentioned I myself typically use H&M for
documentation, and my company is interested in finding out more - but
perhaps for the next project (but they do a fair number of of
projects).
I love H&M
1. What are "cue cards" for documentation and is H&M a good product
to do cue cards with (I am guessing not, I'd expect cue cards are
more of a hyperlink thing between seperate cards)
to me, cue cards are the popup things MS Office does when it thinks its
being helpful, eg, it pulls up a new one per screen to walk you through
something.. H&M can do that, it has the popups. As to wether its best,
i tried a few help writing things, and I struggled hard with a good few.
2. In putting forward the virtues of H&M, what virtues would you
emphasise other than 1. productivity and 2. portability of exporting
to many help formats (web, pdf, online, etc)? What kind of
measures/statistics could be offered to make the case for H&M?
1 document for manuals, online content and helpfiles. Saves having more
than one person for the job, ability for different formats, win32
style, html style. Easy to be very productive even when not that
familiar with the tool, so should someone be sick/maternity etc and a
temp got in, they should be capable as long as they can type.
If you convert over, H&M can read in most other forms of help file
gerator they are likely to use so they can easily move over to 1 tool
for all jobs.
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Re:Hel & Manual

As Liz says, Cue cards are just help pages with a different target window.
I'm sure H&M could handle them, but I have not tried only noticed the
options in passing.
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Hel & Manual

"Lauchlan M" wrote
I was asked to write some documentation for a product
as "cue cards". I am not sure what is intended by that term,
or what products acheive it.
Who is the audience?
Is it for sales presentations?
What about PowerPoint?
Search for ...
www.google.com/search
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_card
--JohnH

Re:Hel & Manual

"Lauchlan M" <LMackinnonAT_NoSpam_ozemailDOTcomDOTau>writes

1. What are "cue cards" for documentation and is H&M a good product to do
cue cards with (I am guessing not, I'd expect cue cards are more of a
hyperlink thing between seperate cards)
H&M does something called training card help, which you can find described
here: www.ec-software.com/help/index.html (search for "training
card"). If I remember correctly, their TNT screen capture program uses
training card help, so you might download the trial, or just the
documentation if you can, and take a look at it as an example.
2. In putting forward the virtues of H&M, what virtues would you emphasise
other than 1. productivity and 2. portability of exporting to many help
formats (web, pdf, online, etc)? What kind of measures/statistics could be
offered to make the case for H&M?
Not sure about measures or statistics, but I have found that H&M is one of
the best quality programs I have on my system. It is truly easy to use and
very versatile as well. In addition to program documentation, I use it for
building lengthy, complex reports, instead of MS Word. It keeps them
organized better and makes it easy to move sections around, and of course,
if somebody wants one done in HTML to put on their internal website, it is a
piece of cake. My primary reason for switching to H&M a few years back was
that I was maintaining printed documentation in a Word file, and online help
using ForeHelp, which meant I had to maintain two separate documents
containing the same content. With H&M, it is a single hunk of content, with
multiple output formats. Makes maintaining it all very, very simple, and
less prone to error.
HTH,
Van Swofford
Tybee Jet Corp.

Re:Hel & Manual

Lauchlan M writes:
[...]

Lauchlan, I looked at this quite a while ago, mostly as a way of integrating
HTML Help, but there is also an item called "training card" help. I am not sure
if that is what you are after.
Try this,
www.helpandmanual.com/comppage.htm
Bill

Re:Hel & Manual

Lauchlan M writes:
Hi

I was asked to write some documentation for a product as "cue cards".
There's a program called "cuecards" available at
www.mhst.net/cuecards2/default.aspx
I use it a lot - it is very practical for storing notes. Version 2000 is
freeware.
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"