Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

2004-10-05 07:01:10 PM
delphi95
ozbear writes:
Person A tells a lie.
Person B proves that person A was lying
I guess that is hypothetical. No one here can disprove that she talked
to someone from MS, or that the person from MS said what she reported.
Now what that person said may be wrong, but that would only mean that
that person was wrong or lying, not Joanna.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"Programming is one of the most difficult branches of applied

Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

Dennis Landi writes:
And since you missed the implication: you won't find any
professional cites indicating that the CLR will run on top of device
drivers. The CLR is an natively compiled series of DLLs that will
run on Win32/Win64.
It isn't natively compiled right now. Just use a program like Reflector
or ILDASM to see this. It currently calls into the Win32 API, though.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"The instinct of nearly all societies is to lock up anybody who is

Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

"Leo Saguisag (Borland)" <lsaguisag_at_borland_dot_com>writes
Brad White writes:

>I don't get it.
>Exactly what kind of engineer is that?
>The first few times I saw it, I thought it must
>be a typo, but now I think not.

l10n = localization. l + 10 other letters + n. :-)

Other fun abbreviations are:
i18n = internationalization
g11n = globalization

I've seen the emial that maeks the ruonds saiyng
and demsontrating that all you need are the fisrt and
last letters to be corrcet and you can sitll make
out the wrods. I think the current example shows that
you still need the intervening letters for
the reader to get the same message as the
one you were trying to send.
--
Brad.
Vote for CodeRush in future versions of Delphi

Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

In article <4162a70e$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, "Brad White" <bwhite at
inebraska.com>says...

I've seen the emial that maeks the ruonds saiyng
and demsontrating that all you need are the fisrt and
last letters to be corrcet and you can sitll make
out the wrods. I think the current example shows that
you still need the intervening letters for
the reader to get the same message as the
one you were trying to send.

A subject area near and dear to my heart.
Actually, the first and last need to be there and the intervening
letters should have an n-gram pattern that is close enough so that the
brain can extrapolate. We very seldom read letter for letter, but parse
patterns of letters, autorepairing as required based on perceived
context.
I've using this technique with #1 son who has a learning disability. We
concentrate on getting the first and last letters correct then his best
guess for what goes in the middle. As he got more confident, we then
worked on getting the first two and last one right. And so on.
(Funny how life goes. I spend a lot of time using computers to take
apart language (computational linguistics) and my son's learning
disability relates to not being able to assemble words properly. His
grammar is ok, just the placeholders are obfuscated)
--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

ozbear writes:

Person A tells a lie.
Person B proves that person A was lying (note the word "Even" in your
reply..."Even if you had evidence..."
You would cancel Person B's response?

Bizarre!

I see them old covered wagons heading into a circle again.
You can only see that if you first assume Person A is lying. Which means you
are essentially making an accusation here. There is no reason to believe
there was any lie in the first place, let alone the idea that there is proof
of a lie.
It is *possible* that information was given here that is 1) incomplete
and/or 2) partially mistaken. Neither of those things constitutes
dishonesty. This entire thread has gotten *way* out of hand and has become a
personal vendetta against mostly one person. As such, it should've been
ended long ago as it brings down the level of the entire group, and it will
end now whether by everyone volunteering to put away their knives or by me
wielding mine (cancellation).
"Democracy, without the guarantee of liberty, is merely a method of
selecting tyrants." - Alan Nitikman

John Wester [Group W] writes:
As he got more confident, we then worked on getting the first two and
last one right.
<spcelhleck="off">
Acutally, I think this is what is nedeed, not only the first and the
last as Brad says. With the two first and the two last corerct,
baisaclly you can read at normal speed, rergaldess of the order of the
letetrs inebw{*word*249}.
<spcelhleck="on">
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Jim Cooper writes:

>I'd assume that you talk to the NTFS filesystem the same way that
>WinFS does.

I think she means, "how will you access WinFS stores using the
existing Win32 NTFS calls"? WinFS is an example of an API set that is
nearly here, and will only be accessible via managed code.
Well, yes. Data that exists solely within WinFS will probably only be
accessable via WinFS. However "files" are going into NTFS.
Obviously the existing file system can be accessed both ways.
And it is not going away.
--
Mike Swaim XXXX@XXXXX.COM at home | Quote: "Boingie"^4 Y,W & D
MD Anderson Dept. of Biostatistics & Applied Mathematics

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
Dennis Landi writes:

>Well, there is one thing for sure that will never change, and that
>is the Win32 API ever becoming an emulation layer on top of .NET.

Nor the Win16 API ever becoming an emulation layer on top of Win32.
<g>
Win16 wasn't just an emulation layer on top of Win32. It ran in its
own hosted environment.
16 bit OS/2, OTOH, ran native on Windows.
--

Jim Cooper writes:
>Yes.

Yoou were putting the wrong interpretation on her words. This is easily
possible in English.

Cheers,
Jim Cooper

Then again,
I could have been interpreting her words correctly from my point of view.
Michael

Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

Jim Cooper writes:
Certainly is.
There are so many things wrong with your post that I just don't know
where to start :-)
(and thanks for not mentioning Fush 'n Chups) <g>
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

(and thanks for not mentioning Fush 'n Chups) <g>
<vbg>
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.co.uk

Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

Then again,
I could have been interpreting her words correctly from my point of view.
Did you study philosophy at some point? :-)
A more valuable exercise might be to interpret the words correctly from
Joanna's viewpoint, don't you think? :-)
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.co.uk

Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

And it is not going away.
Nobody has claimed otherwise.

Michael Anonymous writes:
Then again,
I could have been interpreting her words correctly from my point of
view.
Yeah, but not from hers. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates

Jim Cooper writes:
>Then again,
>I could have been interpreting her words correctly from my point of view.

Did you study philosophy at some point? :-)

A more valuable exercise might be to interpret the words correctly from
Joanna's viewpoint, don't you think? :-)

Yes, I have studied philosophy at some point.
I have also studied programming.
I do not know Joanna well enough to interpret for her.
Besides, she can speak well enough for herself.
I would like to point out that I do respect Joanna as a person.
The only reason I was arguing was because her statements were unclear at
the time of writing my posts on 10/2/2004 (2/10/2004).
And I was wondering why people were assuming her IF statement was a
fact. Since the time of my posts, she has clarified her statements.
I think I understand much better now. :-)
I'm glad she took the time to clarify the issue for me.
Michael