Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

2005-05-12 10:46:25 PM
delphi230
Also IMO, going to VS would be suicide. Why buy a Borland product if you
have to buy a MS product in order to use it? Why not just use VS and be
done with it? So to me, that is about the most stupid idea ever.
Well, I wouldn't go that far, there are a fair number of people that
prefer the VS IDE, but the Delphi language. (Of course at least some
of these people may be moving to Chrome...) But I don't think it
would be unreasonable to at least have an option of hosting Delphi
compiler under VS. But, I think that would likely only work for the
.NET version of Delphi, not the Win32 version. But if Borland is
considering moving entirely to VS, well, I think I can agree that
would be a bad idea.

Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

Anyone else have any warm feelings about
the potential of Eclipse as a future Delphi IDE?
I have always liked the idea. Maybe would free up resources for other (compiler?) development.
I only wish this had more activity.
sourceforge.net/projects/pasclipse
Kevin
--
Software for resource managers and researchers
www.ecostats.com

Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

The maximum was 'more than $500'.
True, but a more accurate picture would result from some more choices
above that.

Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

Palm now use it and gcc compilers as the
"official" development environment, and it sucks big time
Interesting. I prefer the Palm Eclipse IDE.
All a matter of taste.
Kevin
--
Software for resource managers and researchers
www.ecostats.com

Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

Eric Grange writes:
That's understandable, but it may also give them the impression that
their only competition on mobile devices comes from other CF .Net
based dev tools, while native C++ is pretty much a requirement if you
want to replace the shell, interface the barcode scanner directly or
write a new IM.
Worth noting is that Delphi is *also* getting native C++ RSN. Whether
this will include support for anything other than Borland's own Win32
C++ compiler I have no idea. But given that C++BuilderX supports lots
of compilers, including for embedded devices, it is not totally
far-fetched to imagine a future version of Delphi which supports a
PocketPC compiler from another vendor.
In case it is not obvious, the above is speculation on my part, with
the sole exception of Win32 C++ support.
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
news server: info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

Jeffrey A. Wormsley wrote in
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>:
Also IMO, going to VS would be suicide. Why buy a
Borland product if you have to buy a MS product in order to use it?
Why not just use VS and be done with it?
Perhaps Borland is a large enough company that they can work out a deal
with Microsoft to allow them to redistribute just the bits necessary of
VS to get Delphi/etc. working on a system /without/ Visual Studio
already installed.
An example of how MS does this today is with the ability to embed
Internet Explorer in your applications (e.g. - TWebBrowser). You can
get a license to redistribute Internet Explorer with your application
so your users (assuming they don't have IE) can use it.
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

native C++
It's interesting that MS have stopped producing a free eVC++ tool, and
it'll be in VS in future.
I've been reading that p/invokes are very slow from the CF. Is that your
experience?
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

Lurkio wrote in <42834e97$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>:
That notion of Eclipse as a host IDE intrigued me (definitely
*not* VS, though!). Anyone else have any warm feelings about
the potential of Eclipse as a future Delphi IDE?
No. Java IDE bad. BAD BAD BAD. I *could* find integration with Visual
Studio to be agreeable, but this depends on how Borland implements it
of course.
The only problem I might have would be if they couldn't work out a deal
to include a stripped down Visual Studio so you don't need to buy VS
seperately. Having to buy VS then buy Delphi would be very redundant.
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

It would leave the backroom boys to get on with all
of those other things that I am interested in... :-)
oh, but we /are/ ;)

Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

[...] But given that C++BuilderX supports lots of compilers,
including for embedded devices
Maybe, but as far as mobile devices are concerned, it will have to come
for free as the MS alternative is free (eVC), or be technically
superior... both aren't an easy proposition.
IIRC the embedded devices for which C++BuilderX was and still is used
are the non-MS ones, for which the alternative is Eclipse + GCC-like.
Eric

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:

No. Java IDE bad. BAD BAD BAD. I *could* find integration with Visual
Studio to be agreeable, but this depends on how Borland implements it
of course.
Yeah, it was more the notion of an open source IDE to hitch the Delphi
wagon on to in order the let the guys get on with other compiler-y things
that appeals to me ;-)
I'm no Java fan myself, please don't get that impression :-P
The only problem I might have would be if they couldn't work out a deal
to include a stripped down Visual Studio so you don't need to buy VS
seperately. Having to buy VS then buy Delphi would be very redundant.
My worry on that score would be getting even more tightly coupled with
what Redmond is doing...they /are/ still competitors after all...

marc hoffman writes:
>It would leave the backroom boys to get on with all
>of those other things that I am interested in... :-)

oh, but we /are/ ;)
I knew you'd get a free advert in there somewhere :-)

Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

I've been reading that p/invokes are very slow from the CF. Is that your
experience?
Well, for what we've been doing on the mobiles, eVB is plenty fast
enough... if that isn't a sign our speed requirements are low ;)
Actually, we would probably have done everything with eVB if it had been
possible, but the shell/IM/barcode stuff has to activate rather early in
the boot sequence, so C++ was the only option. Apart from these, the
rest of the apps are rather stupid entry/storage/lookup screens, and
there is so little information to retrieve anyway (because the screen is
so small) that code speed is typically irrelevant (main speed trouble is
with WiFi, but that is another story).
Eric

Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

Interesting. I prefer the Palm Eclipse IDE.
Well, on my machine at least, it is very slow. And who thought it was a
good idea for software that opens files to not have a "File | Open" menu
item? "Import" my fat, hairy Arse!
But I have a bigger problem with the gcc compiler and tools. It's
<understatement>a bit of a letdown </understatement>after using
Delphi, and VS .NET and PocketStudio. And having to install half of Unix
just to get a C++ compiler to run sucks. It also doesn't play nicely
with any previous installations of cygwin you might have.
All a matter of taste.
I'm forced to agree, but I really don't want to :-) I think PODS is
complete {*word*99}. I dread being asked to use it one day.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re: New Borland Delphi Survey

as the MS alternative is free (eVC)
Future versions won't be - they'll be in VS apparently.
IIRC the embedded devices for which C++BuilderX was and still is used
are the non-MS ones, for which the alternative is Eclipse + GCC-like.
Well, Symbian support was a bit better, but yes, the PalmOS was
supported with the gcc compiler and related tools. I used it at BorCon
US for a Palm programming session a couple of years ago.