ActiveX Component Set???

2003-10-30 10:00:51 PM
delphi145
Hi,
How can I have a set of ActiveX Controls in a single OCX file? For example,
if I have 10 Delphi VCL Components, which I want to convert to OCX, Do I
have to build separate OCX for each and every VCL component, or is there a
way to create just 1 OCX component, containing all the 10 components? So
that when the user installs the OCX, he'll get all the 10 components on his
palette at once.
Thanks in advance.

Re:ActiveX Component Set???

"Sam" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
How can I have a set of ActiveX Controls in a single OCX file? For
example, if I have 10 Delphi VCL Components, which I want to convert to
OCX, Do I have to build separate OCX for each and every VCL component, or
is there a way to create just 1 OCX component, containing all the 10
components? So that when the user installs the OCX, he'll get all the 10
components on his palette at once.
You can only have one ActiveX control per OCX. In fact, that is what
separates ActiveX controls from OLE controls.
Cheers,
Ignacio
--
The strange part isn't so much that he had an accent. No accent was
detectable. It was just sounds and burbs and gurgles coming from him. He

Re:ActiveX Component Set???

Ignacio Vazquez writes:
You can only have one ActiveX control per OCX. In fact, that is what
separates ActiveX controls from OLE controls.
ActiveX controls was the new name for old OLE controls.
From MSDN:
===
ActiveX
Microsoft's brand name for the technologies that enable interoperability
using the Component Object Model (COM). ActiveX technology includes, but
is not limited to, OLE.
===
Another quote:
===
Microsoft now calls an OCX an ActiveX control, the component object
under Microsoft's set of ActiveX technologies, of which the fundamental
concept is the Component Object Model (COM) and, in a network, the
Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM).
===
--
Eugene Mayevski
EldoS Corp., CTO

Re:ActiveX Component Set???

"Eugene Mayevski" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Ignacio Vazquez writes:

>You can only have one ActiveX control per OCX. In fact, that is what
>separates ActiveX controls from OLE controls.

ActiveX controls was the new name for old OLE controls.
Hmm. I guess item 2 tripped me up for a sec:
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
But it doesn't matter, since Delphi 6 and 7 (and possibly others) have a bug
whereby they'll only import the first type library (QC#4841).
Cheers,
Ignacio
--
The strange part isn't so much that he had an accent. No accent was
detectable. It was just sounds and burbs and gurgles coming from him. He
was a like a chubby, old R2-D2.
- La Uter

Re:ActiveX Component Set???

Hi,
Coming back to my question, I was able to pick up this FAQ from the link you
mentioned:
1.. Q. Is an OCX an "ActiveX control"?
A. No, an OCX is a file that can hold one or more ActiveX controls. These
files do not need to have the .ocx extension (some are .dll files) and thus
should not be referred to as "OCXs". This also links them to a file
extension which is what our document-centric paradigm is trying to
eliminate.
"an OCX is a file that can hold one or more ActiveX controls." ........ If
this is true, wouldn't my single OCX file be able to have 10 other ActiveX
Controls, and when that single OCX is installed or imported, wouldn't all
the other 10 components also get installed in the component palette?
Thanks again,
Sam.
"Ignacio Vazquez" <ivazquezATorioncommunications.com>writes
"Eugene Mayevski" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>Ignacio Vazquez writes:
>
>>You can only have one ActiveX control per OCX. In fact, that is what
>>separates ActiveX controls from OLE controls.
>
>ActiveX controls was the new name for old OLE controls.

Hmm. I guess item 2 tripped me up for a sec:

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

But it doesn't matter, since Delphi 6 and 7 (and possibly others) have a
bug
whereby they'll only import the first type library (QC#4841).

Cheers,
Ignacio

--
The strange part isn't so much that he had an accent. No accent was
detectable. It was just sounds and burbs and gurgles coming from him. He
was a like a chubby, old R2-D2.
- La Uter

Re:ActiveX Component Set???

Hello, Sam!
You wrote on Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:28:47 +0530:
If
this is true, wouldn't my single OCX file be able to have 10 other ActiveX
Controls,
Yes.
and when that single OCX is installed or imported, wouldn't all
the other
10 components also get installed in the component palette?
Not necessarily.
>But it doesn't matter, since Delphi 6 and 7 (and possibly others) have a
>bug whereby they'll only import the first type library (QC#4841).
And you'd probably be on your own for the register and unregister routines.
Cheers,
Ignacio

Re:ActiveX Component Set???

Hi Ignacio,
Thanks for the info.
>If
>this is true, wouldn't my single OCX file be able to have 10 other
ActiveX
>Controls,

Yes.
How do I achieve this? I am trying to convert my existing VCL Component set
(of 10 components) into ActiveX. So, I intend to create a single OCX file
which will include all the 10 components, and which will get installed in
the users computer when he imports the OCX. Any hints on this?
Thanks.
"Ignacio Vazquez" <ivazquezATorioncommunications.com>writes
Hello, Sam!
You wrote on Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:28:47 +0530:
>If
>this is true, wouldn't my single OCX file be able to have 10 other
ActiveX
>Controls,

Yes.

>and when that single OCX is installed or imported, wouldn't all
>the other
>10 components also get installed in the component palette?

Not necessarily.

>"Ignacio Vazquez" <ivazquezATorioncommunications.com>writes
>>But it doesn't matter, since Delphi 6 and 7 (and possibly others) have
>>bug whereby they'll only import the first type library (QC#4841).

And you'd probably be on your own for the register and unregister
routines.

Cheers,
Ignacio

Re:ActiveX Component Set???

Hello, Sam!
You wrote on Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:44:04 +0530:
How do I achieve this?
No idea.
Sorry,
Ignacio

Re:ActiveX Component Set???

Ignacio Vazquez writes:
But it doesn't matter, since Delphi 6 and 7 (and possibly others) have a bug
whereby they'll only import the first type library (QC#4841).
Now I see ...
Many controls <>many type libraries. We tried to add 2 type libraries
to one of our ActiveX libraries and this confused MS tools as well as
Borland's. But if you have one type library, you can have as many
controls as you like in one DLL.
Here's what we did for SecureBlackbox: we created IDL files for HTTPS
client and for SecureBlackbox itself. Then we splitted all IDL's into
several parts that don't overlap. Some of IDL's include other ones via
#include. Now, when we build ActiveX controls, we compile type libraries
from IDL and have two libraries, each of them includes several common
controls like ElCertificateX and ElMemoryStorageX.