Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

2004-01-19 05:23:04 AM
delphi29
"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
extensive. In addition, Troy has stated here that their intention is
to get the PDF files out ASAP. So I am not exactly sure what "lack of
Nick, what Troy said was:
"I'd like to investigate auto-generating PDF off the XML as another one
of our outputs."
and
"That said, we still provide all the documentation that we plan to
provide in the online Help, as we always have."
So (since I haven't received my Delphi 8 yet and can not look myself) is there a
manual in the on-line help? If not, it looks (from Troy's 2nd statement)
like there won't be one. If there is, we *may* get a .pdf version of it.
Or have I missed something (quite possible)?

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

"Derek Davidson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
This is what I mean about "not listening" and "not caring about the
customer". You're so busy trying to force your opinion down someone
I don't think that is a fair comment. I believe Nick and most of the
TeamB folks do care about the customers and work on our behalf. I no
longer believe that *Borland* cares about (many of) their customers, but
that's a different issue.

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

Leroy Casterline writes:
I don't think that is a fair comment. I believe Nick and most of the
TeamB folks do care about the customers and work on our behalf.
You make a very valid point and I agree completely. I'nm afraid that my
comment, taken in isolation, gives a skewed perspective.
Nick has asked me, before now, to explain how I would handle situations
under the maxim "the customer is always right". My response to him in
this case is in that regard.
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

Nick Hodges (TeamB) writes:
You do not have a clear perception of me, what I think, nor what I do
to help Borland customers.
You may very well be right. I find you by turns to be such different
characters I never have a clue who I am dealing with.
Talking with you on all of this has been interesting ...
All the best to you.
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

Nick Hodges (TeamB) writes:
QC is just one of many factors used by Borland to make decisions.
That's why I put the "if" ;-)
-Kurt

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

Hi Rudy !
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) writes:
It makes perfect sense that everyone uses the same process to report
bugs. It is absolutely inefficient and selfish not to do it, IMO.
Yes, but delivering a product without a manual isn't a bug!!!! For bug I
do agree in your point ;-)
-Kurt

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

On 17 Jan 2004 17:12:52 -0700, "Nick Hodges (TeamB)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Will DeWitt Jr. writes:

>For the independent developer
>though they're the only helpful guidance given by Borland with the
>product, and I imagine they're sorely missed when they go missing.

For the record, I believe that printed manuals ought to be a separate
purchase for those that want them.

I would agree, but only for the /printed/ version as you say.
Soft documentation should be downloadable for free.
Oz

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

Thanks for that response - getting PDF out of the system would have been a
key part of the prototyping for the new system I would have thought, but at
least it is seen as important, and I look forward to seeing PDF versions
of everything in D9.
/Matthew Jones/

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

Paul writes:
I like the new help application, but I don't see any documention of
ObjectPascal syntax help for implementing the .NET framework. Have I
overlooked something?
Yes, it is there as separate topic:
Borland Help ->Reference _>Delphi Language Guide
--
Zbyszek Zarzycki
BSC Polska

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

Kurt Bilde writes:
Yes, but delivering a product without a manual isn't a bug!!!! For bug
I do agree in your point ;-)
Asking for .pdf or printed manuals is a feature request, though. To allow
everyone to vote for it, it should be in QC. (there is a documentation
area in QC).
But I see it is already posted as QC #6974, with 15 votes.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

Kurt Bilde writes:
That's why I put the "if" ;-)
Just making sure. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges (TeamB)
Lemanix Corporation - (www.lemanix.com)

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

ozbear writes:
I would agree, but only for the printed version as you say.
Soft documentation should be downloadable for free.
Agreed as well, and I believe that is the plan.
--
Nick Hodges (TeamB)
Lemanix Corporation - (www.lemanix.com)
Improve the quality of Delphi! Get your bugs into QC:
qc.borland.com

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

Asking for .pdf or printed manuals is a feature request, though. To allow
everyone to vote for it, it should be in QC. (there is a documentation
area in QC).
C'mon. If, say, Delphi 6 compiled your source code to produce .exe
applications and Delphi 7 didn't any more (not because of a bug, Borland just
arbitrarily delivered it not to operate that way any more), ie big chunks of
functionailty present in one version were absent in the next, would you say
that asking for this functionality _back_ was just a 'feature request'?
I see feature requests as asking for _new_ functionality. Asking for
something that has been there all along, the work has been done and
delivered, but then arbitrarily and pointlessly got removed is really not in
the normal category of 'feature requests' because the feature is already
there on the day they want to deliver it.
Perhaps you could say that technically it is requesting a feature, but if you
want to see it this way then _all_ bugfix requests, or pretty much any
requests at all, are feature requests (eg 'I would like to have the feature
of this AV in this circumstance not happening any more', or 'I would like to
have the feature that this product is cheaper' ) so the phrase 'feature
request' becomes all-embracing and meaningless . . .
Lauchlan M

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

Lauchlan M writes:
>Asking for .pdf or printed manuals is a feature request, though. To
>allow everyone to vote for it, it should be in QC. (there is a
>documentation area in QC).

C'mon. If, say, Delphi 6 compiled your source code to produce .exe
applications and Delphi 7 didn't any more (not because of a bug, Borland just
arbitrarily delivered it not to operate that way any more), ie big
chunks of functionailty present in one version were absent in the next,
would you say that asking for this functionality back was just a
'feature request'?
No, since compilers are required to do that. That is a basic
functionality failure.
Receiving documentation in a different format (it's still there, in the
help, just not printed, and just not as .pdf) is not, though.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

Do things always work out perfectly for you?
Some things get marked as volitile and the doc team skips them for things
that are marked as stable. It doesn't always work, but it works far better
than doing/producing nothing.
--
-Jimmy

Re: Delphi 8 manuals - RIP ?

No, since compilers are required to do that. That is a basic
functionality failure.
Well, take a guess what my next point would be? <g>
ok, it is that . . . to me not delivering printed and pdf docs in a product
like Delphi is also a basic product failure.
Lauchlan M