Delphi 2007

2007-03-15 09:00:09 AM
delphi248
So I go to order the product (Delphi 2007) and
There is a Support & Maintenance for Delphi 2007 Win32 Ent. fee (750.00).
WHY?
Does this mean, without this fee paid, you are not eligible for the updates
(FIX UPDATES)
if so, doesn't seem fair to me!
When is the product going to be released?
Are their any subscription prices for more than 1 seat?
Thanks
Shane
ValuTech, Inc.

Re:Delphi 2007

Shane Holmes writes:

Does this mean, without this fee paid, you are not eligible for the
updates (FIX UPDATES)
No, it does not mean that. Bug fixes are always available to all
customers.
Support and maintenance is what is also called "Software Assurance" --
it's a subscription. It is totally optional, but I would recommend getting
it if you want the latest and greatest going forward. Software
assurance lasts for a year, and can be renewed at the SA price every
year.
When is the product going to be released?
Imminently.
Are their any subscription prices for more than 1 seat?
Not sure what you are asking -- you can order a subscription for every
seat, yes.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re:Delphi 2007

Support and maintenance is what is also called "Software Assurance" --
it's a subscription. It is totally optional, but I would recommend getting
it if you want the latest and greatest going forward. Software
assurance lasts for a year, and can be renewed at the SA price every
year.
So what is provided? Not sure what your telling me - what one gets for
this.
Thanks
Shane
"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Shane Holmes writes:

>Does this mean, without this fee paid, you are not eligible for the
>updates (FIX UPDATES)

No, it does not mean that. Bug fixes are always available to all
customers.

Support and maintenance is what is also called "Software Assurance" --
it's a subscription. It is totally optional, but I would recommend getting
it if you want the latest and greatest going forward. Software
assurance lasts for a year, and can be renewed at the SA price every
year.

>When is the product going to be released?

Imminently.

>Are their any subscription prices for more than 1 seat?

Not sure what you are asking -- you can order a subscription for every
seat, yes.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:Delphi 2007

Are their any subscription prices for more than 1 seat?
Not sure what you are asking -- you can order a subscription for every
seat, yes.
Is their a reduced price for say 3 copies versus 1 copy?

Shane Holmes writes:

>Does this mean, without this fee paid, you are not eligible for the
>updates (FIX UPDATES)

No, it does not mean that. Bug fixes are always available to all
customers.
This is not true. When you complain about the Help in BDS2006, CG says "buy
BDS2007". So BDS2007 is a bug-fix for BDS2006. But it is not free.
Tiedo

Re:Delphi 2007

Seems to me it says you have to pay for the updates (Fixes, etc)
Shane
What will Support & Maintenance provide?
The base level annual agreement for Support & Maintenance includes:
a.. 3 incidents annually per covered CodeGear Product License.
b..
c.. Access to all product updates and upgrades for all Studio products
released during the term of the agreement.
d..
e.. Product updates and upgrades delivered by electronic transfer or on
CD-ROM.
f..
g.. Phone access to the CodeGear Support Center during regional business
hours
h.. Access to the CodeGear online knowledgebase.
i.. Online support incident submittal and tracking; full access to
CodeGear Support Online.
j.. The support element of the service is provided until the predefined
number of incidents has been used or 12 months have elapsed, whichever comes
first. The maintenance element of the service is always provided for the
full 12 months.
Shane Holmes writes:

>So what is provided?

It's outlined here:

www.codegear.com/Products/Delphi/Delphi2007forWin32/Delphi2007for
Win32FAQ/tabid/241/Default.aspx#delphiwin32_faq5

or

tinyurl.com/2wy9ko

--

Shane Holmes writes:
Is their a reduced price for say 3 copies versus 1 copy?
Not on the shop sites. I suppose you could contact sales directly and
try to negotiate a better deal.
--

Shane Holmes writes:
Seems to me it says you have to pay for the updates (Fixes, etc)
It doesn't say that, and you don't have to pay for update fixes.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:Delphi 2007

OK, maybe its just me.
I'm not 100% sure I have a full grasp of the English Language then.
I mean i was only born, raised and schooled in the U.S.
Maybe I have to know another language.
Or, maybe you can help me decipher this from the FAQ
"Support & Maintenance includes:"
"Access to all product updates and upgrades for all Studio products
released during the term of the agreement."
"Product updates and upgrades delivered by electronic transfer or on
CD-ROM."
"Online support incident submittal and tracking; full access to
CodeGear Support Online "
Am I missing something.....?
I mean, we have to pay 750.00 a year to submit the bugs......???????
Oh, one more thing
"a. 3 incidents annually per covered CodeGear Product License."
what kind of incidents could one really have.....other than issues with a
bug or problem with the IDE.
Surely your not gonna provide support for someones application they are
building - are you?
Sorry,
Its just that these seem to be alittle un-orthodox to me!
Shane Holmes
Valutech, Inc.
Shane Holmes writes:

>Seems to me it says you have to pay for the updates (Fixes, etc)

It doesn't say that, and you don't have to pay for update fixes.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:Delphi 2007

Shane Holmes writes:
Am I missing something.....?
It seems like it. SA gets all the things that it says.
No where does it say that others /won't/ get bug fix updates.
I mean, we have to pay 750.00 a year to submit the bugs......???????
No, you don't. It doesn't say that anywhere at all.
what kind of incidents could one really have.....other than issues
with a bug or problem with the IDE.
Most incidents involve programming issues and other issues about how to
use the product.
Surely your not gonna provide support for someones application they
are building - are you?
Yes, of course. that is what many support issues are about.
Sorry,

Its just that these seem to be alittle un-orthodox to me!
Given that you appear to have misunderstood things, yeah, I can see how
you'd say that. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:Delphi 2007

Thanks,
I was in contact with Glenn Young at CodeGear
and this is the message back......
With Software Assurance you get for one year:
-All major/minor updates, upgrades & bug fixes
*****************************
-New version releases
-3 support incidents
-Ability to renew each subsequent year
Shane Holmes
Shane Holmes writes:

>Am I missing something.....?

It seems like it. SA gets all the things that it says.

No where does it say that others /won't/ get bug fix updates.

>I mean, we have to pay 750.00 a year to submit the bugs......???????

No, you don't. It doesn't say that anywhere at all.

>what kind of incidents could one really have.....other than issues
>with a bug or problem with the IDE.

Most incidents involve programming issues and other issues about how to
use the product.

>Surely your not gonna provide support for someones application they
>are building - are you?

Yes, of course. that is what many support issues are about.

>Sorry,
>
>Its just that these seem to be alittle un-orthodox to me!

Given that you appear to have misunderstood things, yeah, I can see how
you'd say that. ;-)

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:Delphi 2007

Shane Holmes writes:

and this is the message back......
Yep -- that pretty much it.
--

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
Shane Holmes writes:

>and this is the message back......

Yep -- that pretty much it.
Nick, the big difference between Shane's last two posts was highlighted
with a bunch of asterixes, I think (allowing for word wrapping).
-New version releases
is not mentioned in the S/A document you linked to. It is a little hard
to understand for someone who's not on the program, and perhaps a little
suspicious of it.
I'd also wonder about the difference between QC and "Online support
incident submittal and tracking", fwiw.
--
-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'

Re:Delphi 2007

"Brion L. Webster" wrote
understand for someone who's not on the program, and perhaps a little
suspicious of it.
As an SA subscriber for several years, I can vouch that you get each new
release <g>.
bobD