Re: My life as a Delphi castoff

2005-11-21 05:25:22 AM
delphi168
My experience is that most do NOT want a contract. But our customer base
may be very different. All (100%) of my business comes from referral so
there is already a trust to begin with.
I've had that experience too. Of course there is a contract, it is just
implicit, so if there is a break down in trust you have a problem.
Oliver Townshend

Re: My life as a Delphi castoff

Matt,
I'd try and keep it as simple as possible just now. Starting out you don't
need lots of complications and also money *now* rather than later is
probably a better way to begin. I would suggest a defined project with a fixed
price and an hourly rate for future adjustments. Keep the project simple and
not too big. Resist all attempts to turn it into a monster. Above all, hang
on to the ownership of the source. Once you get the basic thing set up and
running, you can consider the idea of making it vastly bigger and better and
selling this new & improved version on subscription or whatever makes sense
down the road. The fact that you get it up and running first on their dime
means you get money now to keep you rolling and they get an issue-free
project delivered on time. Fancy is better left for later. Subscription and
shrink-wrap types push a lot of the risk onto you and pay you very little up
front. Sounds like you could have your cake and eat it too if you play your
cards right. I truly think it is best for your client too.
Bob Watson writes:
Without a contract specifically stating the client owns the source
code, then then developer owns it ... this does not include
employees as the employer clearly owns an employees' work.
That's the way I understand it also. I have had a couple of past clients that
have during conversations mentioned how they own the source. I politely told
them that I own the source. Each of them accepted that after supposedly
looking into it so I presume it is true. I now make it very clear up front
that I am not selling the source. This always seems to cause immediate
suspicion which is understandable. My expanation is simply that I re-use
similar sections of code from one project to another in order to save costs
and reduce time & bugs. If I sell the source, I have to be very careful what
I include. This generates looks of understanding and nods of agreement. As
was suggested earlier in this thread, I tell them they can own the source
for double the normal hourly rate but recommend against it since I will be
forced to limit what I use from my "vast & valuable libraries of treasure".
The topic gets dropped right there. <g>
I think it makes for a much better relationship when you own the source. It
gives it more of a partnership feeling once the project is delivered and
additional work is needed down the road. Providing you do a good job and are
reliable, a client would be foolish to even consider giving work away to
someone else. This is not always obvious to a client who may have a
brother-in-law who just bought a copy of VS. If you own the source, it tends
to keep you in the focus just that little bit extra.
Good luck!
--
Jim Rowell

Re: My life as a Delphi castoff

Jim Rowell writes:
<A whole bunch of sensible advises>
Jim, you should write a book!
A great post!
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: My life as a Delphi castoff

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
Jim, you should write a book!
Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. <g>

Jim Rowell writes:
Ingvar Nilsen writes:

>Jim, you should write a book!

Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. <g>
Hm.. has to be an understatement I am not familiar with :)
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
Jim Rowell writes:

>Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>

>>Jim, you should write a book!
>

>Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. <g>

Hm.. has to be an understatement I am not familiar with :)
Sorry, I guess the tv ads don't run where you are.
A large international hotel chain has run a series of humorous "Stay Smart"
ads where people are doing tasks such as surgery or sky diving instructing
or they save the day in various emergencies. The people have no applicable
skills at all but "they did stay at a Holiday Inn last night".
--
Jim Rowell

Jim Rowell writes:
Sorry, I guess the tv ads don't run where you are.
Regardless, don't watch TV,
I have other screens that occupy my time :)
But you definitely should write the book!
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
I have other screens that occupy my time :)
According to your website, you're very busy indeed.
I'm looking forward to sampling your new projects.
But you definitely should write the book!
That would have to be something like "My life as a programmer" subtitled
"Don't Do This". <g>

Jim Rowell writes:
>But you definitely should write the book!

That would have to be something like "My life as a programmer" subtitled
"Don't Do This". <g>
Put me on the mail list <g>
But about the book, I think you are capable, your posts here usually
have little filling and much [sensible] content!
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: My life as a Delphi castoff

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
Put me on the mail list <g>
Thanks, Ingvar. I appreciate the comments.
I feel the same about you! Your posts are always exceedingly worthwhile.
So now we know if we both wrote books, we'd each sell at least one. <g>
Actually I would quite enjoy writing a book just as I suspect most developers
would. It would be a lot like writing a large application and of course most
of us feel the world would be a much better place if it only had the benefit
of our unique views. it is kind of like driving; we're all above average.
<hg>
On the down side, I think writing a book would be much less likely to put
food on the table than writing code would. I have a lot of respect for Marco
& others like him that keep doing it. it is a good reason to put some effort
into a blog (or submit articles to Borland, etc). Most of us have a fair
amount of good stuff that really should be organized and plunked down
somewhere. How to's, experiences, thoughts, whatever.
We should take the time I guess. ;-)
--
Jim Rowell

Jim Rowell writes:
On the down side, I think writing a book would be much less likely to
put food on the table than writing code would.
Yes, but these two professions are actually very related.
You work once and earn n times. When it comes to writing books, support
and upgrades is not that overwhelming though <g>
What's overwhelming is the constant flood of information. Some people
even get sick of it. So, to help humanity, maybe we should NOT write
anything at all :)
We should take the time I guess. ;-)
At least you could join my test team when the my products "are ready"!
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
Yes, but these two professions are actually very related.
You work once and earn n times. When it comes to writing books,
support and upgrades is not that overwhelming though <g>
Yeah, no one complains that their book won't work. <g>
At least you could join my test team when the my products "are ready"!
Sure. :-)

Re: My life as a Delphi castoff

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:12:52 +0100, Ingvar Nilsen
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
You work once and earn n times.
Not necessarily. The only time I have (co-)written a book, we negotiated a
fixed sum to be payed in (advance) instalments while we were writing it.
No royalties.
('Avancerad programmering p?ABC80', 1979)
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>You work once and earn n times.

Not necessarily.
"You" in this context is "the software manufacturer", not necessarily
the single employed developer or consultant.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: My life as a Delphi castoff

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
we negotiated a fixed sum to be payed in (advance)
instalments while we were writing it.
No royalties.

Operative word here is negotiated.
No one to blame for that but yourself!