The problem with Delphi 8

2004-04-23 09:22:15 AM
delphi84
The problem with Delphi 8 is that it should have never been called Delphi 8,
because Delphi 8 is NOT the replacement of Delphi 7.
Of course I understand that it is much more interesting in terms of sales to
call it "Delphi 8" instead of "Delphi .NET 1.00" (which would be the correct
name).
In my opinion, .NET is not revolutionary enough as to steal the number 8 to
the legendary saga of Delphi.

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

Alvaro Garcia Pascual writes:
In my opinion, .NET is not revolutionary enough as to steal the
number 8 to the legendary saga of Delphi.
I don't think I will ever understand why people get so wrapped up about
names.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

I think by considering latest info it was appropriate in a way
Delphi 9 will be D7+D8+C# (rumors), so I will agree with D8
because there will be no DfN 2.0
--
Serge Dosyukov
Borland Delphi product certified
The problem with Delphi 8 is that it should have never been called Delphi
8,
because Delphi 8 is NOT the replacement of Delphi 7.

Of course I understand that it is much more interesting in terms of sales
call it "Delphi 8" instead of "Delphi .NET 1.00" (which would be the
correct
name).

In my opinion, .NET is not revolutionary enough as to steal the number 8
the legendary saga of Delphi.

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

I think by considering latest info it was appropriate in a way
Delphi 9 will be D7+D8+C# (rumors), so I will agree with D8
because there will be no DfN 2.0
It is a little strange that Borland will bundle D7, D8, and C# in the same
product. It would force people to pay for things they don't need.

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote

I don't think I will ever understand why people get so wrapped up about
names.
Names are important because sometimes they lead to confusion, as when
Microsoft released Windows 2000 and lots of people believed that it was the
successor to Windows 98.

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

Thats what they wanted them to think.

Names are important because sometimes they lead to confusion, as when
Microsoft released Windows 2000 and lots of people believed that it was
the
successor to Windows 98.

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

>I think by considering latest info it was appropriate in a way
>Delphi 9 will be D7+D8+C# (rumors), so I will agree with D8
>because there will be no DfN 2.0

It is a little strange that Borland will bundle D7, D8, and C# in the same
product. It would force people to pay for things they don't need.

If this were the case D9 would be the same as Delphi 8 with C# bundled. D9 will
have .NET and Win32 integrated in the same IDE which is a bit different to
just bundling Delphi 8 and D7. Hopefully it will have more new features than just
that. It may also have C# in the same IDE as C#Builder already uses the same
IDE as Delphi 8 so it is not a huge stretch to include that as well.

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

Alvaro Garcia Pascual writes:
Names are important because sometimes they lead to confusion, as when
Microsoft released Windows 2000 and lots of people believed that it
was the successor to Windows 98.
And you think that was an accident? ;-)
--

"Craig van Nieuwkerk" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
If this were the case D9 would be the same as Delphi 8 with C# bundled. D9 will
have .NET and Win32 integrated in the same IDE which is a bit different to
just bundling Delphi 8 and D7. Hopefully it will have more new features than
just
that. It may also have C# in the same IDE as C#Builder already uses the
same
IDE as Delphi 8 so it is not a huge stretch to include that as well.
I tried to mean that people would complain if they had to pay for C# in case
they only needed Delphi, or if they had to pay for .NET when they only need
Win32.

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

"Craig van Nieuwkerk" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
Thats what they wanted them to think.
Fortunately in this case they were releasing a product that was a million
times better than Windows 98. In a sense, by using the name Windows 2000,
they were downgrading Windows NT to the infamous 9x saga.. LOL

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

Alvaro Garcia Pascual writes:
I tried to mean that people would complain if they had to pay for C#
in case they only needed Delphi, or if they had to pay for .NET when
they only need Win32.
You would hope that it'd be opinional if there was a price difference
from previous upgrades because of the addition of C#.
Guess they need to factor in C# specifics (cost wise) for the IDE -
it's not like they have to write a C# compiler or designer. They do
have to interface with those however, but the designer already requires
this because Delphi 8 use it.

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

I realize that C#Builder and Delphi.NET share a lot and hopefully they can
share costs, but I think that the main problem here is that native Win32 is
being understimated. I think that most people can still live for some years
without .NET, and those people wont want to be forced to pay for a
Delphi.NET.
By the way, I think .NET wont be widely used until everybody in the world
have installed the .NET Framework in their computers (so that developers
dont need to include the annoying 20 MB runtime in their packages).
The day that .NET Framework be as widely spread as Acrobat Reader, .NET will
succeed. Until that, native Delphi will be the king.

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

"Alvaro Garcia Pascual" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
It is a little strange that Borland will bundle D7, D8, and C# in
the same product.
AFAICT, that C# would be included is speculation, however I think by D7
he meant Win32 support, which Borland has said is planned to be
included.
It would force people to pay for things they
don't need.
They're not forced to buy anything. If they don't think it is worth
paying for, they won't buy it.
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

Alvaro Garcia Pascual writes:
I realize that C#Builder and Delphi.NET share a lot and hopefully
they can share costs, but I think that the main problem here is that
native Win32 is being understimated. I think that most people can
still live for some years without .NET, and those people wont want to
be forced to pay for a Delphi.NET.
but it has already been announced that the next delphi release (now
schedule for Q4 this year) will include both .NET and Win32. Borland
are not under estimating Win32 by any stretch - although I reserve my
right to get flithy on them if the new Win32 version doesn't actually
include many new features...

Re:The problem with Delphi 8

"JED" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
but it has already been announced that the next delphi release (now
schedule for Q4 this year) will include both .NET and Win32. Borland
are not under estimating Win32 by any stretch - although I reserve my
right to get flithy on them if the new Win32 version doesn't actually
include many new features...
I see here a problem for Borland. They will have two options:
1) Sell Delphi 9 for the same price as Delphi 7 (good for the customers
because they get 2 products for the price of one, bad for Borland because
they earn less)
2) Sell Delphi 9 more expensive than Delphi 7 (bad for most customers
because they don't like to pay for a .NET thing that they don't need)
Well there is a third option: Sell Delphi 9 cheaper than Delphi 7 (wow that
would be wonderful ;-)