Re: Go, software activation, go!

2006-03-21 08:17:33 PM
delphi133
A,
Winzip is a great example. There are many freeware alternatives out
there of similar or superior quality. And yet, Winzip is expecting
people to PAY them for their product. And almost $100 all told?
Huh? i think i payed something like $29 for my original winzip license.
and got free upgrades for 9 major versions - 10 was the first one to ask
for a (modest) upgrade free (of, iirc, 15 bucks)...
--
marc hoffman
Chief Architect, .NET

Re: Go, software activation, go!

Om 13:22:09 uur, 21.03.2006, schreef marc hoffman:
Bob,

>IF they're tied into the pirate scene,

or have a web browser and internet connection ;)
If you try to find it on a warez site, you know you are doing something
illegal. Not everyone is prepared to do that.
--
Ramona

Eric Grange writes:
>Seriously, what this thread lacks is comments and viewpoints from
>R&D depts with more than 1 developer <g>

Looks like your know-it-all-brain just bumped on missing knowledge,
or maybe it was an activation bug with your
always-right-inference-engine?
No, it is the darn dongle again
<g>
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Go, software activation, go!

Activation is, as you hint at, actually *for* honest people.
It is there to make people resist the temptation to temporarily
duplicate software in certain situations, and probably for several
other reasons.
I can already buy it once and install it at least 10 times. After that I
can phone Borland and have the counter reset so that I can install it even
more. So, what's the point?
The problem is that I may have no Internet connection (temporarily down) and
a bug that absolutely must be fixed by morning. If I am outside of office
hours and cannot activate my fresh re-installation of BDS then I am pretty
much stuck.
I personally find software activation sometimes annoys honest people, and is
at best a minor inconvenience for dishonest people.

Re: Go, software activation, go!

I find discussions soon become irelevant once you compare it to a "similar"
situation.
While tt's true that theft is theft, and tresspassing is trespassing, many
people will respect a fence who wouldn't think twice about cutting across
an
empty lot.
That is very true. It happens over the road from me, and dog-owners seem to
have no objection to their dogs using my front garden as a toilet since the
wind blew down my fence.
There's something to be said for making it screamingly {*word*76}y
obvious what the person is doing,
Software activation comes well after that point though. They know what they
are doing is wrong when
1) They have to type in "Delphi warez" in google
2) They copy a CD off a friend

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] writes:
I personally find software activation sometimes annoys honest people,
and is at best a minor inconvenience for dishonest people.
Isn't it possible to make it in a way that is almost fool proof for
serious customers?
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Go, software activation, go!

IF they're tied into the pirate scene--which most people aren't. I suppose
could find a Delphi crack on the internet if I tried, but I'd have to
try, and that means that casual piracy is not effortless.
The same could be said for finding an illegal download. So trying to find
an activation key is no more difficult than finding an illegal source.
Therefore I conclude that your example of finding a crack on the Internet
suitably fulfils your requirement of a fence to stop people trespassing :-)

Eric Grange writes:
>There are many things available on the net. That doesn't mean that
>everyone goes looking for them--or indeed even realizes that they
>are there to be found.

Your naivete is very cute. ^_^
But he is still right, with respect to "everyone".
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Go, software activation, go!

Eric Grange writes:
Winzip lost the battle not to Winrar, or 7zip or any other
freeware/shareware competitor, they lost the battle to Microsoft when
ZIP support got built right into Windows XP explorer.
Since I discovered PC Tools/Norton File Manager in 1994, which already
then treated ZIP archives like regular folders, I never saw the need
for a 3rd party ZIP application. After 12 years of intimate friendship,
I am about to part with my trusted friend..
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Go, software activation, go!

"marc hoffman" wrote
>IF they're tied into the pirate scene,

or have a web browser and internet connection ;)
There are many things available on the net. That doesn't mean that everyone
goes looking for them--or indeed even realizes that they are there to be
found.
bobD

Re: Go, software activation, go!

Seriously, what this thread lacks is comments and viewpoints from R&D
depts with more than 1 developer <g>
Looks like your know-it-all-brain just bumped on missing knowledge, or
maybe it was an activation bug with your always-right-inference-engine?
<g>
Eric

Re: Go, software activation, go!

"Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software]" wrote

The problem is that I may have no Internet connection (temporarily down)
and a bug that absolutely must be fixed by morning.
Then you trot down to the nearest McDonalds, Starbucks or other local
hotspot and get done what you need.
How is it we're told that anyone with half a brain can break security
systems without effort, but apparently the vast majority of honest users are
rendered totally helpless and unproductive by this 30 second requirement?
Like Larry, I just don't get it. This is a made-up issue.
bobD

Bob Dawson writes:
How is it we're told that anyone with half a brain can break security
systems without effort, but apparently the vast majority of honest users are
rendered totally helpless and unproductive by this 30 second requirement?
Doesn't bother me - I have a crack ready in case I run out ... to keep
me going until I get the reset.

Re: Go, software activation, go!

Excellent point.
It hasn't happened to me yet but, you're saying that when that limit is
reached, there is no grace period? That is just ridiculous.
"Jolyon Smith" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

If Borland can not be bothered to go further than:

if ActivationCount>Limit then

Then why should it be treated as a serious attempt to deal with piracy?

To suggest that it is is laughable, and in my view downright offensive
to everyone who actually reached into their pocket to pay for the
software.