Re: Could someone help with this function

2006-04-14 03:26:44 PM
delphi192
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"Jon Springs" <jspringsATjontandsheDOTorg>writes:

>>Well this is a non-technical group, so what exactly do you expect?
>>Oliver Townshend

>Having reviewed the respondents to my request, I notice you to be absent
>from any participation.
>{*word*81} off!
>-----Jon-----

Nutter.
Rambam,
Me or him? ;~)
-----Jon-----

Re: Could someone help with this function

I asked for help, admitted I was in the wrong group, got replies anyway,
responded to those and basically signed off and I get your interjection.
Well I read your signoff as sarcasm.
Oliver

Re: Could someone help with this function

"Oliver Townshend" <oliveratzipdotcomdotau>writes
>I asked for help, admitted I was in the wrong group, got replies anyway,
>responded to those and basically signed off and I get your interjection.

Well I read your signoff as sarcasm.

Oliver
Oliver,
Whether it was sarcasm or not, and it was most assuredly not, it had nothing
to do with you. You were not a participant in the dialog and, therefore, had
no standing to interject yourself. If any of the other participants had a
similar concern, they had standing, you did not.
Again, {*word*81} off.
Where I come from there is a phrase, you had no dog in that hunt!
-----Jon-----

Re: Could someone help with this function

Glynn,
Reviewing my responses, I noticed that I misspelled your name. Please accept
my apologies.
My name is spelled Jon, naturally, not a contraction of Jonathan, so I have
experience with mis-spellings and people unable to accept the way my name is
spelled. In fact, I have a good friend whose name is Glyn.
-----Jon-----

Re: Could someone help with this function

"Jon Springs" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schreef in bericht
My understanding is that the the instruction is setting the return value
of the function. If I remove it then the result would be indeterminate
wouldn't it?
Well, it depends. A pure assembler function returning an integer expects
the result in the AX register; a Pascal function with a assembler block
expects the result in a hidden stack variable, located at [BP-2].
Other people have pointed out that a port of old 16 bit MS DOS code to 32
bit Windows is not straightforward.
But the good news is that in that case, you don't need this function at all.
32 bit Windows has long filenames built-in.

Re: Could someone help with this function

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:34:41 -0700, "Jon Springs"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
This code is
part of a little 'go' program that maintains a list of shortcuts and
associated directories, i.e 'xx d:\aa\bb\cc\xx'.

'go xx' would change to drive d: and chdir to directory aa\bb\cc\xx. Saves
lots of typing.
If you're happy with keeping the shortcut list in a separate file, or
in a really long delimited string, you can use a bat file for this, if
it's not a lot more complex than what you've stated here.
First make a text file c:\shortcuts.txt with the following entries:
xx c:\path\example\1\xx
yy d:\example path 2\yy
etc
Next make a bat file go.bat which should read
@echo off
for /f "tokens=1*" %%a in (c:\shortcuts.txt) do if /i "%%a" EQU "%1"
cd /d %%b
The "cd /d ..." wrapped, it should be on the same line as the "for",
at the end.
Put go.bat in a directory which is in the system path, and you can now
simply execute:
go xx
and it'll take you to c:\path\example\1\xx
Note that it is case insensitive. If you dont want that, remove the /i
after "do if".
Obviously you can put the shortcuts.txt somewhere else and rename it,
but you will need to specify the path in the bat file.
- Asbjørn

Jon Springs writes:
Glynn,

Reviewing my responses, I noticed that I misspelled your name. Please
accept my apologies.

My name is spelled Jon, naturally, not a contraction of Jonathan, so
I have experience with mis-spellings and people unable to accept the
way my name is spelled. In fact, I have a good friend whose name is
Glyn.

I've been called a lot worse, but thanks for the thought...
Glynn
--
"It is high time that the ideal of success should be replaced by the
ideal of service." (Albert Einstein).