Re: A more software engineering approach...

2006-09-16 05:14:11 PM
delphi171
Alan Garny writes:
Any idea for the above? Also, what about what I intend to use? Finally, have
I missed/overlooked something?
Build automation is one thing which could be helpful, especially if
building the final package has more than "Rebuild all" -step.

Re: A more software engineering approach...

Roger Lascelles writes:
If algorithms have to be checked with known cases, I'd have a
separate Delphi project which compiles the algorithm files into a
testbed which runs the tests and checks the results. Alternatively,
you could add a batch mode to your main GUI, which runs through a set
of input files and stores the output. I suspect that a good set of
test cases solves the coverage issue.
This approach is good, it is actually what unit testing like DUnit
makes you do. Now while unit testing has got lots of press the last
couple of years, it is not a new invention. To that end I did unit
testing in Borland Pascal 7 back in 1993, doing what you explain above.
In general it should be noted that unit test tools do not write your
test cases, that is all left for you to do. If test cases one makes are
trivial then it will not result in a good test of the program
functionality.
Unit testers and DUnit just formalises calling your test functions and
makes it easy to run repeat tests.
Doei RIF