Re: Allen Bauer's blog about developer productivity

2006-09-12 05:09:22 AM
delphi153
Tom Corey writes:
Ralf Mimoun writes:

>Better yet: there is no music at all if you want it that way!
[...]
>I can not understand how one can develop software while there is any
>noise around.
Back about 1998, a coworker refused to help people set up speakers, CD
players, RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, etc on their computers, even
though it was his job. He claimed anyone that had sound in their cube
was obviously goofing off and not working. He wasn't popular.
Now tv - that is completely different. Music is background - I hear it,
but I am not really paying attention. Soothing and relaxing. A speaking
voice grabs my attention, and keeps grabbing it. I can not concentrate on
reading or writing while a tv or talk radio is going.
I do my best programming work with music - as long as it is the right
music. My wife calls it my "hacking tunes". Wide variety of stuff,
but the main point is all of it helps me really focus.
I have Radio Margaritaville playing across the internet about half the
time at work. I also bring in CDs on a regular basis. While I like
listening to classical music while driving, I find at work that I have
to keep the volume low enough that I miss quite a bit of the music. The
volume of rock and country seem to be steadier, so that is what I listen
to most. Far better listening to music of my choosing than someone
else's phone conversation to their kids all day.
Oddly, when I am doing something like writing a paper for school, I
can't have any music playing. Must be using different parts of my
brain.
Music always helped my writing papers and doing research. It could be
Jimmy Buffett, 80s rock and roll, 90s country, or a Mozart symphony, but
something was always playing loud in my dorm room, and later in my
office and lab. My office was the room that gave access to the roof, and
was the only room on that floor. No office mates, and I could play the
music as loud as I wanted. Real walls, a real door, and all the privacy
I wanted. Sad to think that the best working environment I will ever
have was as a lowly grad student.
--
Jon Purvis
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department

Re: Allen Bauer's blog about developer productivity

"Blackbird Crow Raven" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
exposed wiring); before that, my own office (not large or fancy, but it had
a window with a nice view).
I have an office with a large window.
Unfortunately, the view is of a wooden fence, around 40 centimeters
away :-)
However, on sunny days, it is nice.