.ANI-file - Animated Cursors - Desperately Seeking info...

I've got a very hard time finding info about animated cursors.
I need to extract frames from an .ANI-file for use in my program.
If anyone know how to view frames in an .ANI-file I will be so very
happy.
Thanks....
Stone - Denmark

Re:.ANI-file - Animated Cursors - Desperately Seeking info...

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:54:43 GMT, sto...@datashopper.dk (Sten

Bang-Christensen) wrote:
>I've got a very hard time finding info about animated cursors.
>I need to extract frames from an .ANI-file for use in my program.
>If anyone know how to view frames in an .ANI-file I will be so very
>happy.
>Thanks....
>Stone - Denmark

Well, I have the same problem. And I have posted three msgs requesting
help over the last few months.  I got NIL response, so I dunno if the
problem is so simple that it is something everyone ought to know, or
if no one knows.

Anyway, If you find out how, please let me know.  I will do the same.

Dale

Dale Means wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:54:43 GMT, sto...@datashopper.dk (Sten
> Bang-Christensen) wrote:

> >I've got a very hard time finding info about animated cursors.
> >I need to extract frames from an .ANI-file for use in my program.
> >If anyone know how to view frames in an .ANI-file I will be so very
> >happy.
> >Thanks....
> >Stone - Denmark

> Well, I have the same problem. And I have posted three msgs requesting
> help over the last few months.  I got NIL response, so I dunno if the
> problem is so simple that it is something everyone ought to know, or
> if no one knows.

> Anyway, If you find out how, please let me know.  I will do the same.

> Dale

More likely is that no-one knows, or the people that know have deigned
not to answer.  I am one of the former.

I would hazard a guess that there is some kind of graphics program able
to load ANI files, and save them as some other format so you can use
your favourite movie player to freeze frame etc.  I would check out the
numerous shareware sites on the net.

--

Dale Means wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:54:43 GMT, sto...@datashopper.dk (Sten
> Bang-Christensen) wrote:

> >I've got a very hard time finding info about animated cursors.
> >I need to extract frames from an .ANI-file for use in my program.
> >If anyone know how to view frames in an .ANI-file I will be so very
> >happy.
> >Thanks....
> >Stone - Denmark

> Well, I have the same problem. And I have posted three msgs requesting
> help over the last few months.  I got NIL response, so I dunno if the
> problem is so simple that it is something everyone ought to know, or
> if no one knows.

> Anyway, If you find out how, please let me know.  I will do the same.

> Dale

Why don't you ask MicroSoft - they invented it, didn't they?
There is some information in the MicroSoft Development Library in the
article 'Product samples: WinNT 3.51 SDK, SDK Tools: ANIEDIT: Creates
Animated Cursor'. The sample application is in C, but that's not a
problem?

Re:.ANI-file - Animated Cursors - Desperately Seeking info...

You might want to try a program called Microangelo.  I think that you can
find it at http://www.windows95.com/apps/
it does quite a few things with ANI files... If you happen to know how to
get an ANI file to play all the time on a panel... I would love to hear
about it... how to do it and so on... thanks... hope that helps a
little....

Michael Wakkinen

<322638f1.30770...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>...
> On Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:54:43 GMT, sto...@datashopper.dk (Sten
> Bang-Christensen) wrote:

> >I've got a very hard time finding info about animated cursors.
> >I need to extract frames from an .ANI-file for use in my program.
> >If anyone know how to view frames in an .ANI-file I will be so very
> >happy.
> >Thanks....
> >Stone - Denmark

> Well, I have the same problem. And I have posted three msgs requesting
> help over the last few months.  I got NIL response, so I dunno if the
> problem is so simple that it is something everyone ought to know, or
> if no one knows.

> Anyway, If you find out how, please let me know.  I will do the same.

> Dale

Re:.ANI-file - Animated Cursors - Desperately Seeking info...

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996 22:08:45 -0600, "Michael Wakkinen"

<wac...@selway.umt.eud> wrote:
>You might want to try a program called Microangelo.  I think that you can
>find it at http://www.windows95.com/apps/
>it does quite a few things with ANI files... If you happen to know how to
>get an ANI file to play all the time on a panel... I would love to hear
>about it... how to do it and so on... thanks... hope that helps a
>little....

>Michael Wakkinen

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I have Microangelo and it is great,
but I just don't know how to use the files it creates in Delphi 2.
There must be a way, but I haven't found it yet.

Dale

Re:.ANI-file - Animated Cursors - Desperately Seeking info...

dme...@ix.netcom.com (Dale Means) wrote:
>Well, I have the same problem. And I have posted three msgs requesting
>help over the last few months.  I got NIL response, so I dunno if the
>problem is so simple that it is something everyone ought to know, or
>if no one knows.

That's a well known problem: No answer at all on some topics :-(

Well, to solve your problem, it might be helpful to look at one of
those ANI Editors. Perhaps they maybe able to export single frames of
the sequence to another file.

HTH
  Chris

   Christoph Juengling, Kassel, Germany
   Systemanalyse - Beratung - Software
   http://members.aol.com/ChrisJueng

Dale Means wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:54:43 GMT, sto...@datashopper.dk (Sten
> Bang-Christensen) wrote:

> >I've got a very hard time finding info about animated cursors.
> >I need to extract frames from an .ANI-file for use in my program.
> >If anyone know how to view frames in an .ANI-file I will be so very
> >happy.
> >Thanks....
> >Stone - Denmark

> Well, I have the same problem. And I have posted three msgs requesting
> help over the last few months.  I got NIL response, so I dunno if the
> problem is so simple that it is something everyone ought to know, or
> if no one knows.

> Anyway, If you find out how, please let me know.  I will do the same.

> Dale

How about using the animated cursor editor that comes with Windows 95
Resource Kit, and then do some screen capture into some image editor...?
Just a thought...

Regards!
--
TheHunter/-96

  "Animalia quaedam minuta, quae non possunt oculi consequi,
     per aera intus in corpus per os ac nares perveniunt
            atque efficiunt difficiles morbos."
                  --Varro [116--27 B.C.]
            -------------------------------------
        Some very small animals, that can not be seen
     by the {*word*192} eye, enter the body through the mouth
            and the nose and cause severe diseases.
          e-mail: par.sm...@rattvik.mail.telia.com

Re:.ANI-file - Animated Cursors - Desperately Seeking info...

> > On Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:54:43 GMT, sto...@datashopper.dk (Sten
> > Bang-Christensen) wrote:

> > >I've got a very hard time finding info about animated cursors.
> > >I need to extract frames from an .ANI-file for use in my program.
> > >If anyone know how to view frames in an .ANI-file I will be so very
> > >happy.

Check out http://www.wotsit.demon.co.uk/.

M.

--
Martin Larsson, author of several unknown utilities for DOS and Windows.
mailto:martin.lars...@delfi-data.msmail.telemax.no

Bang-Christensen) wrote:
>I've got a very hard time finding info about animated cursors.
>I need to extract frames from an .ANI-file for use in my program.
>If anyone know how to view frames in an .ANI-file I will be so very
>happy.
>Thanks....
>Stone - Denmark

Checkout the following www-site. There is a description for ANI-Files
available there.

Wotsit's Format  http://www.wotsit.demon.co.uk

Hope this helps
Meikel Weber
m.we...@public.ndh.com
Make sure you visit my homepage
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/Homepages/meikel

Re:.ANI-file - Animated Cursors - Desperately Seeking info...

In article <4vsdgh$...@news.uni-c.dk>, sto...@datashopper.dk says...

>I've got a very hard time finding info about animated cursors.
>I need to extract frames from an .ANI-file for use in my program.
>If anyone know how to view frames in an .ANI-file I will be so very
>happy.
>Thanks....
>Stone - Denmark

I've been trying to work with animated cursors, myself, the past couple of
days, and I've run into a few unique problems, myself.  I haven't checked out
the WOTSIT website yet, but for the sake of knowledge.....

What I've learned is this:

You create a handle to the cursor using LoadImage (it doesn't need to be an
object), then with the DrawIconEx API call you can dictate which frame in the
cursor file you wish to draw to a canvas.  I've written code which, because the
return result of DrawIconEx is Boolean, while true increments my frame variable
by one or resets it to zero and starts again.  The big problem with this is I
know of no way to read the 'jiffy' count (1/60th of a second) of each frame,
and the result is a speed demon of a cursor.

Secondly, the ANIEDIT is a Microsoft Product, and it will create animated
cursors pretty handily.  I've created a few, myself, and have even used it to
make existing cursors use 256 colors.  But I don't know of any way to utilize
it for display of animated cursors in an app.

Lastly, there is an OCX called AniButton in my windows SYSTEM directory.  It is
registered with Delphi, and can be added to the component palette.
Unfortunately, when trying to use the component, one gets the message "License
registration not found.  Cannot be used in design mode."  Obviously, I was
thrilled to see this.  Any information about this 'license' would be
appreciated.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I have shed light on how to access the
individual frames by using the DrawIconEx API function.  Do please read my
other message, maybe you or someone else has a logical explanation for my
problem.

Thanks.
Eric Langford

Dale Means wrote:

> Thanks for your response.  Yes, I have Microangelo and it is great,
> but I just don't know how to use the files it creates in Delphi 2.
> There must be a way, but I haven't found it yet.

> Dale

   I deleted Microangelo long ago, so I'm not sure what format it stores
its frames in.  You may want to try Paint Shop Pro or ThumbsPlus to
convert Microangelo's output into GIF, JPG, or BMP format.  ThumbsPlus
support TONS of file formats, but Paint Shop Pro has a lot better image
manipulation capabilities.  Hope that helps!

Charles E. Robinson
crobi...@mindspring.com

Other Threads