Delphi3 beginner needs QuickReport Help!

I just moved from Delphi 1 to Delphi 3.  All my reports are in
ReportSmith format, and I want to change to QuickReport when porting
over to Delphi3.  Can anyone give me some guidance on a quick way to
do this conversion, if there is any?? Thank you! RD2 (borrowed e-mail)

Re:Delphi3 beginner needs QuickReport Help!

In article <368d3230.24622...@usenet.en.com>, v...@en.com writes:
>I just moved from Delphi 1 to Delphi 3.  All my reports are in
>ReportSmith format, and I want to change to QuickReport when porting
>over to Delphi3.  Can anyone give me some guidance on a quick way to
>do this conversion, if there is any?? Thank you! RD2 (borrowed e-mail)

They are completely different. Suggest playing with QR to get comfortable with
it, then dig right in to re-writing the reports.
/js

On 01 Jan 1999 22:07:35 GMT, jefsumm...@aol.com (JefSummers) wrote:

>In article <368d3230.24622...@usenet.en.com>, v...@en.com writes:

>>I just moved from Delphi 1 to Delphi 3.  All my reports are in
>>ReportSmith format, and I want to change to QuickReport when porting
>>over to Delphi3.  Can anyone give me some guidance on a quick way to
>>do this conversion, if there is any?? Thank you! RD2 (borrowed e-mail)

>They are completely different. Suggest playing with QR to get comfortable with
>it, then dig right in to re-writing the reports.
>/js

I was afraid that would be the answer.  BIG job ahead.  Thank you for
replying!  RD2

Re:Delphi3 beginner needs QuickReport Help!

FWIW, if your reports contain memo fields, I would recommend using another
report writer such as ReportPrinterPro2.0S.  QR2.0k has not been reliable
with handling reports with memo fields.  QR has been fine as long as memo
fields are not involved.  Others in these newsgroups have complained about
bugs with QR.  (I finally rewrote all of my QR reports in
ReportPrinterPro.)  Good luck.
Gene

v...@en.com wrote in article <368d6a50.38992...@usenet.en.com>...

> On 01 Jan 1999 22:07:35 GMT, jefsumm...@aol.com (JefSummers) wrote:

> >In article <368d3230.24622...@usenet.en.com>, v...@en.com writes:

> >>I just moved from Delphi 1 to Delphi 3.  All my reports are in
> >>ReportSmith format, and I want to change to QuickReport when porting
> >>over to Delphi3.  Can anyone give me some guidance on a quick way to
> >>do this conversion, if there is any?? Thank you! RD2 (borrowed e-mail)

> >They are completely different. Suggest playing with QR to get
comfortable with
> >it, then dig right in to re-writing the reports.
> >/js

> I was afraid that would be the answer.  BIG job ahead.  Thank you for
> replying!  RD2

Re:Delphi3 beginner needs QuickReport Help!

On 2 Jan 1999 05:13:11 GMT, "Gene"

<REMOVE_NO_SPAMge...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>FWIW, if your reports contain memo fields, I would recommend using another
>report writer such as ReportPrinterPro2.0S.  QR2.0k has not been reliable
>with handling reports with memo fields.  QR has been fine as long as memo
>fields are not involved.  Others in these newsgroups have complained about
>bugs with QR.  (I finally rewrote all of my QR reports in
>ReportPrinterPro.)  Good luck.
>Gene

Gene,
I probably shouldnt be surprised at the bad news.  Rewriting the
reports in any format is going to be a major pain, but there are worse
things!  Thanks for further confirming my suspicions!  Happy new year
to you.  RD2

Re:Delphi3 beginner needs QuickReport Help!

In article <01be360e$e20fa230$0390a8c0@svr_theta>, "Gene"

<REMOVE_NO_SPAMge...@mindspring.com> writes:
>FWIW, if your reports contain memo fields, I would recommend using another
>report writer such as ReportPrinterPro2.0S.  QR2.0k has not been reliable
>with handling reports with memo fields.  QR has been fine as long as memo
>fields are not involved.  Others in these newsgroups have complained about
>bugs with QR.  (I finally rewrote all of my QR reports in
>ReportPrinterPro.)  Good luck.
>Gene

Interesting.  I've found no such issues, using Paradox table memo fields and
QRDBText components, allowing vertical but not horizontal expansion (fits this
application).  Used to be that there were problems with it cutting letters in
half at the end of lines, but that seems to have been solved (old work around
was using a monospaced font, but that was ugly!).  I'm using the full,
registered version of QuickReports.
/js

Re:Delphi3 beginner needs QuickReport Help!

My experience has been with QR2.0g-k, Delphi 3.02, with memo fields which
were stored on an MS SQL 6.5 database, retrieved with BDE 4.51 connected to
SQL Server 6.5 with ODBC.  Sometimes the reports would not print the memo
text fields correctly to the second or subsequent pages if the memo text
field was greater than what would fit on the end of the first page, with
missing lines between the first and second page, etc.  Initially, it would
also print little squares where I had CR in the memo, but this was finally
fixed in QR2.0k.  Unfortunately, these problems with memo fields were
intermittent, with the memo text field printing correctly and overflowing
correctly to subsequent pages, and other times not.  I did not have the
source code version.  QR 2.0 worked fine if memo fields were not involved,
however, half the reports I had to do require memo fields.  I have no
experience with QR3.0, but others in this newsgroup have reported problems.
 I have not used QR2.0 with Paradox tables.  Good luck.
Gene

JefSummers <jefsumm...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19990104140414.25441.00002...@ngol06.aol.com>...

> In article <01be360e$e20fa230$0390a8c0@svr_theta>, "Gene"
> <REMOVE_NO_SPAMge...@mindspring.com> writes:

> >FWIW, if your reports contain memo fields, I would recommend using
another
> >report writer such as ReportPrinterPro2.0S.  QR2.0k has not been
reliable
> >with handling reports with memo fields.  QR has been fine as long as
memo
> >fields are not involved.  Others in these newsgroups have complained
about
> >bugs with QR.  (I finally rewrote all of my QR reports in
> >ReportPrinterPro.)  Good luck.
> >Gene

> Interesting.  I've found no such issues, using Paradox table memo fields
and
> QRDBText components, allowing vertical but not horizontal expansion (fits
this
> application).  Used to be that there were problems with it cutting
letters in
> half at the end of lines, but that seems to have been solved (old work
around
> was using a monospaced font, but that was ugly!).  I'm using the full,
> registered version of QuickReports.
> /js

Other Threads