Quick report: grouping problem

Newbie question.
I have a report working with a SQL Query (DBX connection).
I have a page with the following structure:

Group header
Group header
Detail
Group footer
Group footer

but the report only prints two lines: the first from the first Group Header
and the first from the second Group Header. What am I doing wrong?

The query is:
select * from movimenti m, fornitori f, cantieri c, vocicosto v
where m.codcan = c.codcan
and m.codfor = f.codfor
and m.codvoc = v.codvoc
order by c.descan, v.codvoc, m.datmov

Thank you very much.

Giulio

Re:Quick report: grouping problem

"Giulio Ferrari" <giulio.ferr...@edis.it> ha scritto nel messaggio

> but the report only prints two lines: the first from the first Group
Header
> and the first from the second Group Header.

Sorry, I was wrong. It prints also the first line of the detail band.

Giulio

Re:Quick report: grouping problem

Be sure your dataset property for the QuickReport is set.  If it's not set,
QR has no idea how many records you have and stops after one record.

HTH
-- Steve Cullen

"Giulio Ferrari" <giulio.ferr...@edis.it> wrote in message

> Newbie question.
> I have a report working with a SQL Query (DBX connection).
> I have a page with the following structure:

> Group header
> Group header
> Detail
> Group footer
> Group footer

> but the report only prints two lines: the first from the first Group
Header
> and the first from the second Group Header. What am I doing wrong?

> The query is:
> select * from movimenti m, fornitori f, cantieri c, vocicosto v
> where m.codcan = c.codcan
> and m.codfor = f.codfor
> and m.codvoc = v.codvoc
> order by c.descan, v.codvoc, m.datmov

> Thank you very much.

> Giulio

Re:Quick report: grouping problem

Thanks...

Marco

"Steve Cullen" <scul...@ix.netcom.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Be sure your dataset property for the QuickReport is set.  If it's not
set,
> QR has no idea how many records you have and stops after one record.

My fault, the problem was that the ClientDataSet was not correctly connected
to the SQLQuery. Thanks anyway for your help.

However, I feel there is a big lack in documentation with QuickReport. For
newbies, it's definitely not so easy to create anything that is even
slightly complex. Maybe it's a very power tool once you're used to it, but
not so clear even if you study the examples. Do you agree?

By the way, what do you think is the better choice for a system based on
DBXpress? QR Pro, Rave Reports, others? I'll have to choose a reporting tool
for a new application, so any comments are very welcome.

Thanks
Giulio

Re:Quick report: grouping problem

My opinion is that Quick Reports is one of the worst examples of product
documentation around.

As far as the software itself, I don't think it's as bad a product as many
make it out to be, but you'd never know it due to lack of decent
documentation.  But I've always found a way to make it do what I needed out
of a report writer.

As for other report writers, I don't use others, but you should look at the
Digital Metaphors offering, Report Builder.  Many here seem to think it's a
fine report writer.

> "Steve Cullen" <scul...@ix.netcom.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Be sure your dataset property for the QuickReport is set.  If it's not
> set,
> > QR has no idea how many records you have and stops after one record.

> My fault, the problem was that the ClientDataSet was not correctly
connected
> to the SQLQuery. Thanks anyway for your help.

> However, I feel there is a big lack in documentation with QuickReport. For
> newbies, it's definitely not so easy to create anything that is even
> slightly complex. Maybe it's a very power tool once you're used to it, but
> not so clear even if you study the examples. Do you agree?

> By the way, what do you think is the better choice for a system based on
> DBXpress? QR Pro, Rave Reports, others? I'll have to choose a reporting
tool
> for a new application, so any comments are very welcome.

> Thanks
> Giulio

Other Threads