Delphi vs Java vs C# comparison

Hi All

I am shortlisting to consider using Java or Delphi or C#. Can you
please point me the shortcomings of Java if any and why I must use
Delphi over Java or C#.

Thanks
Belinda

Re:Delphi vs Java vs C# comparison

"Belinda" <belinda...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am shortlisting to consider using Java or Delphi or C#. Can you
> please point me the shortcomings of Java if any and why I must use
> Delphi over Java or C#.

They are all tools and without knowing the job to be performed it would be
foolish to select one over the other. If you want serious answers provide
details of the project.

> Hi All

> I am shortlisting to consider using Java or Delphi or C#. Can you
> please point me the shortcomings of Java if any and why I must use
> Delphi over Java or C#.

It's all the same, depends on what your customer/boss wants...
Personally, I have a feeling there's more knowledge out there among people
about Java - since C# is pretty much a new thing.

Re:Delphi vs Java vs C# comparison

At the risk of being flamed I have to stick up for Delphi.  Not so much that
it is a native windows IDE and compiler, but because both Java and C# are
interpretive (albeit with JIT) rather than true compilers.  Maybe I'm just
old fashioned (I am getting too old for this game at 57!), but I remember
the UCSD pascal and lots of other interpretive schemes - none of which have
hit the mainstream.

There you go -flame me!

JOL

"Belinda" <belinda...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi All

> I am shortlisting to consider using Java or Delphi or C#. Can you
> please point me the shortcomings of Java if any and why I must use
> Delphi over Java or C#.

> Thanks
> Belinda

Re:Delphi vs Java vs C# comparison

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 17:36:11 -0000, "JOL"

<j...@dontspamme.leapgate.co.uk> wrote:
> At the risk of being flamed I have to stick up for Delphi.  Not so much that
> it is a native windows IDE and compiler, but because both Java and C# are
> interpretive (albeit with JIT) rather than true compilers.  Maybe I'm just
> old fashioned (I am getting too old for this game at 57!), but I remember
> the UCSD pascal and lots of other interpretive schemes - none of which have
> hit the mainstream.

OK, here I go.

Every language on .NET is "interpreted". Since this usually means
jitted, that is not really a problem. C# code is usually as fast, or a
little faster than equivalent Delphi code (say Danny Thorpe and Chuck
Jazdzweski of Borland R&D).

And, there is already a Delphi for .NET preview, which comes with the
pay versions of Delphi 7 (i.e. not with the trials). So that version
of Delphi is jitted as well.

The jitter has the advantage that it can optimize code for the
platform it runs on, i.e. can optimize code for the processor. And
only native code is run, nothing is interpreted like in UCSD Pascal or
early VB versions. The jitter also has a very good optimizer
(according to Borland R&D again), better than Delphi's.
--
Rudy Velthuis
http://rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de/

Rudy Velthuis <rvelth...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Every language on .NET is "interpreted". Since this usually means
> jitted, that is not really a problem. C# code is usually as fast, or a
> little faster than equivalent Delphi code (say Danny Thorpe and Chuck
> Jazdzweski of Borland R&D).

But they forget to add that that only goes for the machines where it doesn't
matter, i.e. fast machines with a lot of ram. On old machines, say
350 Mhz P2 with 32 MB of ram, Delphi will perform much better than
java or C#.

Stephan Eggermont
Sensus, systems that make sense

Re:Delphi vs Java vs C# comparison

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:33:02 +0000 (UTC), Stephan Eggermont

<step...@stack.nl> wrote:
> But they forget to add that that only goes for the machines where it doesn't
> matter, i.e. fast machines with a lot of ram. On old machines, say
> 350 Mhz P2 with 32 MB of ram, Delphi will perform much better than
> java or C#.

I don't think so. The only problem seems to be graphics, since GDI+
doesn't work as fast as necessary. I'm sure MS will be able to address
this.

BTW, I use a 400 MHz P2 with 384 MB and I have no speed problems with
.NET. I usually write console apps, so GDI+ is not important.

--

In article <b1lk1e$c0...@news.tue.nl>, Stephan Eggermont wrote:
> Rudy Velthuis <rvelth...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Every language on .NET is "interpreted". Since this usually means
>> jitted, that is not really a problem. C# code is usually as fast, or a
>> little faster than equivalent Delphi code (say Danny Thorpe and Chuck
>> Jazdzweski of Borland R&D).

> But they forget to add that that only goes for the machines where it doesn't
> matter, i.e. fast machines with a lot of ram. On old machines, say
> 350 Mhz P2 with 32 MB of ram, Delphi will perform much better than
> java or C#.

On newer machines, with a lot of RAM, Delphi will still perform better than
Java or C#. It will just matter for less applications.

Marco van de Voort wrote in message ...

>On newer machines, with a lot of RAM, Delphi will still perform better
than
>Java or C#. It will just matter for less applications.

Lesser, or fewer?

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink

In article <3e40439d$0$49113$e4fe5...@news.xs4all.nl>, Maarten Wiltink wrote:
> Marco van de Voort wrote in message ...

>>On newer machines, with a lot of RAM, Delphi will still perform better
> than
>>Java or C#. It will just matter for less applications.

> Lesser, or fewer?

If they run Java or C#, they will be lesser machines of course ;_)

Re:Delphi vs Java vs C# comparison

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:47:30 +0000 (UTC), Marco van de Voort

<mar...@toad.stack.nl> wrote:
> On newer machines, with a lot of RAM, Delphi will still perform better than
> Java or C#.

That is not necessarily true, at least not for .NET.

The .NET JIT optimizer is told (by Borland!) to be slightly better
than Delphi's.
--

In article <5gd24vc777nrl8jmssos1ngvm3etimt...@4ax.com>, Rudy Velthuis wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:47:30 +0000 (UTC), Marco van de Voort
><mar...@toad.stack.nl> wrote:

>> On newer machines, with a lot of RAM, Delphi will still perform better than
>> Java or C#.

> That is not necessarily true, at least not for .NET.

We'll see. Till now I only saw benchmarks, and one application. The benchmarks were mixed,
the Delphi application was better still. I value the application much more, since it is a
realworld example, not something cunningly crafted by tool-manufactorers.

> The .NET JIT optimizer is told (by Borland!) to be slightly better
> than Delphi's.

Compared to proto-Delphi.NET, or to C# generated IL ? That doesn't have to be the same.

But we'll see. I don't have to migrate directly, so I can just wait till somebody I know
has it, and run some tests before migrating.

Do you btw have a reference for that Borland remark? Maybe it
contains some more data?

Re:Delphi vs Java vs C# comparison

If you needed an operation would you go to a doctors forum and ask
them which knife you should use.  People like this{*word*211}me off.  Try
doing nothing but studying for ten years in your every spare moment
and you won't need to ask that question.

If you just want to target a language to learn go with java then you
won't have to deal with mastering every OS microsoft puts out just on
time for them to change it.  One caveat, make sure to force yourself
to make it work using 100% pure java, it will improve your skills.  As
for environments, go with Suns Studio One CE or the Net Beans IDE.

Re:Delphi vs Java vs C# comparison

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:07:18 +0000 (UTC), Marco van de Voort

<mar...@toad.stack.nl> wrote:
> > The .NET JIT optimizer is told (by Borland!) to be slightly better
> > than Delphi's.

> Compared to proto-Delphi.NET, or to C# generated IL ?

Compared to the current Delphi for Win32.

> Do you btw have a reference for that Borland remark? Maybe it
> contains some more data?

No, that statement was not in writing. Once in a year, TeamB meets
Borland people directly, in Scotts Valley, CA.

Although it could be that one of the R&D people also said this in one
of their newsgroups. Try the netpreview groups, if these are archived
at all.
--

In article <f1ga4vobkcsmqt02olchp38lrc1804p...@4ax.com>, Rudy Velthuis wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:07:18 +0000 (UTC), Marco van de Voort
><mar...@toad.stack.nl> wrote:

>> > The .NET JIT optimizer is told (by Borland!) to be slightly better
>> > than Delphi's.

>> Compared to proto-Delphi.NET, or to C# generated IL ?

> Compared to the current Delphi for Win32.

>> Do you btw have a reference for that Borland remark? Maybe it
>> contains some more data?

> No, that statement was not in writing. Once in a year, TeamB meets
> Borland people directly, in Scotts Valley, CA.

> Although it could be that one of the R&D people also said this in one
> of their newsgroups. Try the netpreview groups, if these are archived
> at all.

I'm a bit scared for benchmarks without specified conditions. They often
only include typical compiler benchmarks, not production code.
Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads