RemoteDatamodule based Business Objects

I have a set of Business Objects based on TRemoteDatamodules some of which
represent collections of other business object themselves based on
TRemoteDatamodule. In some cases a collection may contain 100's of
sub-objects which seem to take a very long time to create (600 objects can
take 6 seconds). I have created 2 test objects based on simple COM
Automation objects and these are very fast (50000 objects in 0.2 seconds).
My question is - what is TRemoteDatamodule doing when it is created that
causes such a long delay? - and what if anything can I do to reduce the
delay apart from converting all my objects to COM Automation objects?
PS: The Business Objects are all used In-Process.

Thanks in advance ... Sean Weatherall (Robinson Associates)