TP 7.0 // Run Time Error 5 - File Access

I am writing a TP 7.0 program which is multiuser, reading and writing
to .DBF files using a 3rd party vendor product called Topaz.

Program was working fine, but very recently I get a Run Time Error 5 -
File Access Error, whenever the SECOND person tries to execute (merely
load and execute) the program.  It never gets to opening any .DBF
files as I have put "debugging writeln" into the code to investigate.

Anyone have a similar problem??

thanks
au_...@mindspring.com

Re:TP 7.0 // Run Time Error 5 - File Access

On Sat, 17 May 1997 05:13:23 GMT, au_...@mindspring.com (Bob) wrote:

>I am writing a TP 7.0 program which is multiuser, reading and writing
>to .DBF files using a 3rd party vendor product called Topaz.

>Program was working fine, but very recently I get a Run Time Error 5 -
>File Access Error, whenever the SECOND person tries to execute (merely
>load and execute) the program.  It never gets to opening any .DBF
>files as I have put "debugging writeln" into the code to investigate.

>Anyone have a similar problem??

>thanks
>au_...@mindspring.com

How's the file-sharing being done - shared files on a remote server,
or on a local hard-disk?  If the latter, sounds as though someone has
removed SHARE....
Glenn.

Bob wrote:

> I am writing a TP 7.0 program which is multiuser, reading and writing
> to .DBF files using a 3rd party vendor product called Topaz.

> Program was working fine, but very recently I get a Run Time Error 5 -
> File Access Error, whenever the SECOND person tries to execute (merely
> load and execute) the program.  It never gets to opening any .DBF
> files as I have put "debugging writeln" into the code to investigate.

> Anyone have a similar problem??

> thanks
> au_...@mindspring.com

        Start off by running SHARE.EXE on all computers attached to the network
before executing any of the network files.  This will allow DOS to load
.EXE files that have already been opened by someone else.  Accessing
data in a similar fashion, assign the BP 7.0 variable FILEMODE to 66
(deny none access to files) : FILEMODE := 66.  This will allow you to
open up files in Pascal without getting a runtime error 005.  You need
to also implement some sort of record locking too for the best
protection from corrupt data files.

Trilliun Software Products
Jonathan Ramsey
t...@ares.csd.net