Bitmaps in resource files...HELP!

Hello,

I use the Delphi image editor to creatre a resource file with a new
bitmap in it. The image I paste into the the resource file gets dithered
to the default image palette(i.e. windows palette) and looses it's
smooth colortransitions due to the fact that the palette does not get
copied along with the palette of the image I'm pasting into the new
resource file. Both the resource bitmap image and the one I've created
uses the same color depth(256) and dimesions. Why does this happen? Is
it possible to use more colors than 256 in a resource bitmap? The Delphi
ImageEditor does not seem to support more than 256 colors. How can I set
up a palette of my own preferences in the delphi image editor?