ADO alternatives for SQL Server

Folks,

I'm struggling with various problems using ADO from Delphi 5,
connecting to a SQL Server 7 / 2000 system.

I was wondering, how well do the alternatives such as SQL Direct or
SQL Query work? Any comments on quality, reliability, support from
makers, etc. ?? Thanks!

Marc
Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
FastLane Technologies Inc.                  Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Email: mscheu...@fastlane.com                    http://www.fastlane.com

Re:ADO alternatives for SQL Server

ADO Express is an excellent product.  What kind of problems are you having?

Dave Knake

"Marc Scheuner" <mscheu...@no.spam.for.me.ca> wrote in message

> Folks,

> I'm struggling with various problems using ADO from Delphi 5,
> connecting to a SQL Server 7 / 2000 system.

> I was wondering, how well do the alternatives such as SQL Direct or
> SQL Query work? Any comments on quality, reliability, support from
> makers, etc. ?? Thanks!

> Marc

> Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
> FastLane Technologies Inc.                  Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
> Email: mscheu...@fastlane.com                    http://www.fastlane.com

Re:ADO alternatives for SQL Server

Couldn't say it better

David

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:42:49 -0500, "Dave Knake" <dkn...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>ADO Express is an excellent product.  What kind of problems are you having?

My main trouble is this: I have to build a system that basically runs
on Unicode.

Therefore, my SQL Server stored procs have mostly parameters of type
NVARCHAR(xx). When I use TADOStoredProc to connect to these, when I
first connect, everything seems fine and dandy - the parameters are
recognized okay, Data Type is set to ftWideString.

However: as soon as I save the data module and re-open it later, all
those parameters are suddenly returned to either "ftString" or
"ftFixedChar" data types - and I can't change them back at design
time. When I pick "ftWideString", ftFixedChar or ftString (not always
the same) will be set instead.

Now trying to call the stored proc, I keep getting a "EOleException -
Implicit data conversion from type text to nvarchar no support - use
CONVERT instead", but it doesn't tell me WHAT parameter it's
complaining about, and I seem unable to get this to work properly.....

Unfortunately, the Unicode requirement is very vital - I can't just go
back to varchar and ftString.....

Any ideas???? I have Delphi 5 Update Pack 1, and I recently installed
the ADO Express Update Patch 2 - I really should have the very
latest....

Marc

Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
FastLane Technologies Inc.                  Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Email: mscheu...@fastlane.com                    http://www.fastlane.com

Other Threads